Update on what's going on at Graham

Dung Marrs

So we took 60% of the gate at a game at Princeton (with lower ticket prices) instead of 100% of the gate at Mitchell Stadium so that the head coach could go watch his son play a college football game?

With the additional expenses to travel to Princeton and lost revenue for the band and the athletic department (due to the loss of 40% of a gate), this decision seems to be very poor and it is a high price for one person's desire. I can't believe folks higher did not object more vocally when this decision was made.

One clarification, his son is a long snapper on the scout team and will be red shirted. If I am right, he would have only played if the other long snappers had been injured.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we took 60% of the gate at a game at Princeton (with lower ticket prices) instead of 100% of the gate at Mitchell Stadium so that the head coach could go watch his son play a college football game?

With the additional expenses to travel to Princeton and lost revenue for the band and the athletic department (due to the loss of 40% of a gate), this decision seems to be very poor and it is a high price for one person's desire. I can't believe folks higher did not object more vocally when this decision was made.

It's not just concession money but the additional expense for fans to drive, eat, tickets, as well as additional expenses for the football team, band, etc. to have to travel to an away game. Were those folks compensated?

Financial reasons aside, I think the decision to move a home game due to voluntary family event is not acceptable. As a coach and former military member, it is part of the game that your players/men come first and that as a leader, you lead by example ...which sometimes translates to your family comes second.

Wins and losses aside, I would like to see more information related to this event become public.

I am not trying to argue or disagree on the matter, I understand how you feel about it, I was just adding what I knew to the discussion, I have no opinion on the subject.

I know all about coach Doug Marrs, but I'm curious, how is he as a teacher in the school?

Uh-oh...someone just cracked open a whole new can of worms...:eek:...

Oh lord... I can't wait to see how this goes.

I know all about coach Doug Marrs, but I'm curious, how is he as a teacher in the school?

He may have the title of English teacher but how can you "teach" a class when you either (1) walk in, give a reading assignment and walk back out or (2) sit on your cell phone the whole period. Another example of things he is allowed to get away with because he is not accountable to anyone for his actions. As parent of a child who has gone through his class, I could go on and on, but I won't. Bottom line is that he and those persons employed within the Tazewell County School system that are allowing this, all need to go - period!!! I am so looking forward to the next election.

If I am a person going after facts. I would want records, financial records turned over. These are not private documents, but public. If I were a donor with money I would get a lawyer to subpoena these records on the grounds that money is not being shared equally or even close to equally among the sports, and that there is a conflict of interest with the A.D being the football coach and spending more money on his sport while not giving equally to others. Also I still think you can look at Title IX violations. If I am one of the ones leading the charge and have money I'd bring a lawyer into the mix.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I will not comment on the situation, but this quote burns me up.

Anyone that knows anything about high school sports understands that Football and in some cases basketball are the only money makers. It is unreasonable to expect all money that is brought in to be EQUALLY DISTRIBUTED among all sports. It takes a considerably larger amount of money to fund football than it does to fund other sports. In the same light, volleyball, softball, tennis, track, etc. are sports that DO NOT require as much money or funds to be operational. Therefore, it is rather foolish of anyone to think that all money should be dispersed equally among all sports.

I don't know what they do at Graham, don't care, but most schools have individual accounts for all sports and all non-revenue sports receive funds, AS NEEDED, from the football account. Football is the bread winner in high school sports in Virginia, it is only natural that the one brining in the most money should benefit the most from the money.

High School sports should not be operated under a COMMUNIST ECONOMIC SYSTEM. It is not realistic and it is not feasible..........

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I will not comment on the situation, but this quote burns me up.

Anyone that knows anything about high school sports understands that Football and in some cases basketball are the only money makers. It is unreasonable to expect all money that is brought in to be EQUALLY DISTRIBUTED among all sports. It takes a considerably larger amount of money to fund football than it does to fund other sports. In the same light, volleyball, softball, tennis, track, etc. are sports that DO NOT require as much money or funds to be operational. Therefore, it is rather foolish of anyone to think that all money should be dispersed equally among all sports.

I don't know what they do at Graham, don't care, but most schools have individual accounts for all sports and all non-revenue sports receive funds, AS NEEDED, from the football account. Football is the bread winner in high school sports in Virginia, it is only natural that the one brining in the most money should benefit the most from the money.

High School sports should not be operated under a COMMUNIST ECONOMIC SYSTEM. It is not realistic and it is not feasible..........

100% Agree on this. There is not 1 single High school in America that has an equal distribution of money to all sports. Football always gets more, and it always makes more. But I believe you're missing the point.......Everyone wants a new AD and new Football coach at Graham High School, and this is just Ammo for them. The football program is suffering, and the kids arent being treated very well from how it sounds. Time for change, no matter what it takes to get it done.

bucfan64 everyone knows that football takes more money than any program to run and that if it costs more to run these programs then they should receive more. However with that being said are you telling me it is ok for a person who is in power A.D./Football coach to spend more than is needed to buy two helmets game and practice, two sets of cleats game and practice, Under armour shorts and shirts for the kids and the football players not have to pay a dime to get them. Then turn around and give the baseball team $500 to buy baseball's, bats, helmets, catching gear, hats, etc.??? I know you are a coach so i know you know that $500 don't touch close to that. I also know that as a coach you would not like it if you held a fundraiser and put money in your basketball account but in order to spend it on what you deem necessary to run your program you had to go through the A.D. and he could tell you what you could spend your money that you raised on. Regardless of which sport makes the most money it does not excuse irresponsible spending.

I like the communist economist thing, but I think Graham's athletic budget is more Dictatorship econmist right now. Coach Marrs is the A.D. if you want any of the money you have to come to him and maybe he'll give it to you and maybe he will not. However, when he wants money for his football program, he answers and asks no one he just takes it.

Hey you are a coach, do you make your own schedule or does Coach Goodman do that for you. How would you like it, if Coach Goodman was football coach and made your schedule and scrimmages without any input. You have decided that you are going to give the kids Friday off, but Coach Goodman comes in and says that you are going to scrimmage Richlands Friday, because his buddy called and needed a scrimmage and he wanted to help his buddy out without even asking you if this would be ok. Or how about he schedules you a game against a school so that his buddy who is the A.D will play him in football. Since he helped them out by giving them a game in basketball they will play him in football now.

Everyone knows the money should not be spread equally because some sports cost more than others to run. Look at colleges how many college teams cannot afford football programs. However, you should not waste money or spend more than you need just because you can.

Think if Graham had not given up the Princeton home game and gate that money could be used to help athletics, but instead the game was given away as was the gate. Was the decision made by the A.D. who wants what is best for the school and all sports, or was the decision made by a dad.

Everyone wants a new AD and new Football coach at Graham High School, and this is just Ammo for them.

You are correct, this does appear to be the reasoning behind the argument.

I would rather not say anything about the situation, leave it to the folks at Graham.

Knowing how great this program has been, I dont blame them one bit. It also sounds like it'll create a better enviroment for the kids also.

Good luck, and hopefullly a change will be made.

You are correct, this does appear to be the reasoning behind the argument.

I would rather not say anything about the situation, leave it to the folks at Graham.

He may have the title of English teacher but how can you "teach" a class when you either (1) walk in, give a reading assignment and walk back out or (2) sit on your cell phone the whole period. Another example of things he is allowed to get away with because he is not accountable to anyone for his actions. As parent of a child who has gone through his class, I could go on and on, but I won't. Bottom line is that he and those persons employed within the Tazewell County School system that are allowing this, all need to go - period!!! I am so looking forward to the next election.

Actually I had him for English and I learned more about grammar, usage, and writing than from any other teacher. Most teachers had us read literature and then analyze it, but he did a lot to improve my writing skills. What is taught in his class is more beneficial to the students down the road.

Actually I had him for English and I learned more about grammar, usage, and writing than from any other teacher. Most teachers had us read literature and then analyze it, but he did a lot to improve my writing skills. What is taught in his class is more beneficial to the students down the road.

Lets see if I can guess when you had him, in the 11th grade. Since that is the year you take your final writing SOL, any English teacher would be doing the same. 9th and 10th grade teachers do spend a great deal of time on reading comprehension and analysis since the SOLs for those years are geared to those skills.

Lets see if I can guess when you had him, in the 11th grade. Since that is the year you take your final writing SOL, any English teacher would be doing the same. 9th and 10th grade teachers do spend a great deal of time on reading comprehension and analysis since the SOLs for those years are geared to those skills.

Wrong, actually I had him in 10th grade.

i had him senior year for english and we did grammar and usage for most of the year as well. we only did the literature part for the last 2 6 weeks periods at most, he did help us out with writing and usage, even though i don't use it on here or anything else internet related. but it has shown in my writing style in college and such.

How can he have both the head coaching job and be the AD? Isn't the VHSL rule that someone can't be both? Or am I mistakin on this rule?

No rule against it....in fact the a.d. at most schools is also the head coach of a sport....

Amen to the next election. However, it will take three concerned representatives on the School Board to place prudence in the school system. Leaders must set an example, if not; then we experience what unravels withing any administration. If the Western District enjoys what is happening then no change will occur. Appointees with political rewards and nepotism have taken us to failing schools, lack of respect for administration with no change in the immediate future. It is imperative that community leaders speak up, surely they know the injustices within the school system, surely they know the alleged intimidation by certain administrators and coach. If the community has no leadership which will speak out, then that community is without leaders.

Can anyone be specific with the allegations of intimidation, actions unfit by a coach or teacher or administrator? Specifics, dates, who-when-where would be best for resolving such a problem as being circulated within the community.:confused: