Friday night updates

VHSLhelper

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluefield-Ravenswood game thoughts. (Final score 24-19)

1. Penalties for Bluefield. Roughing the passer, roughing the punter, helmet-to-helmet contact. Careless stuff, and some home-cooking (?).

2. Wasted oppurtunities. Bluefield huddling TWICE with less than 2 minutes left in the game on a RUNNING CLOCK.

3. Some really, REALLY bone-headed coaching for Bluefield. Insisting on going with the pass, out of an empty backfield, with a strong wind, and when the run was working. Stubborn? Something else?

We were out of this game early on, and we played like it. Some really dumb stuff for Bluefield, and with some better decisions, we win this game.

That was as big of a coaching choke as I've seen (heard) since Graham losing to Harrisonburg in the State Championship in 2001.

Can someone explain to me what goes through a coach's head to make him go away from EVERYTHING that got his team to that point???

That was as big of a coaching choke as I've seen (heard) since Graham losing to Harrisonburg in the State Championship in 2001.

Can someone explain to me what goes through a coach's head to make him go away from EVERYTHING that got his team to that point???

Please do not remind me of Graham's poor coaching job in that championship game... I was there and will never get over that one!

No idea. No idea at all. I'm also curious why Bluefield would HUDDLE on a running clock twice with less than 2 minutes left in the game. So stupid.

Running the ball worked. So, Bluefield goes with an empty backfield, trying to pass into a very stiff (think they said almost 30 mph) wind. Makes no sense to me at all.

Woodrum to Anderson 68 yd TD pass nullified by a flag - substitution infraction.

this was a BS call for Cave Spring...they flagged the wide out on the back side for not going inside the numbers and checking in with the ref... the kid went and stood on the 30 and the ref was standing right there when the kid put his arm out to check in and then nodded back at the kid before the play...once the ball was 40 yards up the field on the other side, out came the flag....dirty if you ask me....should have been a TD for Cave Spring...no way that should have been called. That was a huge play in the game.

Richlands took care of business and played a great game...Devon looked great and got them 1st downs as needed to keep the chains moving all night.

They are lucky though, this one could have gone the other way pretty easy...Cave made a few mistakes and Richlands made a few as well...over all it was a good game to watch.

this was a BS call for Cave Spring...they flagged the wide out on the back side for not going inside the numbers and checking in with the ref... the kid went and stood on the 30 and the ref was standing right there when the kid put his arm out to check in and then nodded back at the kid before the play...once the ball was 40 yards up the field on the other side, out came the flag....dirty if you ask me....should have been a TD for Cave Spring...no way that should have been called. That was a huge play in the game.

Richlands took care of business and played a great game...Devon looked great and got them 1st downs as needed to keep the chains moving all night.

They are lucky though, this one could have gone the other way pretty easy...Cave made a few mistakes and Richlands made a few as well...over all it was a good game to watch.

The refs for the first time were AWFUL and for the first time Richlands was not on the recieving end of it Cave had not 1 but 2 TDS taken away if you remember the one you are talking about was bad but the backward pass that was ruled a incomplete after the defender was 10 yards from the endzone was one of the worst calls i had ever seen.

From what I heard from the broadcast (Richlands broadcast) you are spot on. I hate it when a good game is tainted by poor officiating. The players deserve better, no doubt.

The refs for the first time were AWFUL and for the first time Richlands was not on the recieving end of it Cave had not 1 but 2 TDS taken away if you remember the one you are talking about was bad but the backward pass that was ruled a incomplete after the defender was 10 yards from the endzone was one of the worst calls i had ever seen.

The pass was three yards forward I watched the play half dozen times since last night. This was a good call. I will check on the one Lance is talking about now and get back with you later on it.