Tcu accepts offer from big east

vthokies4life

WOW.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/tcu-accepts-offer-from-big-east/

Texas Christian University has accepted an invitation to become an all-sports member to the Big East Conference, industry sources told FanHouse.

The Horned Frogs will join the league beginning on July 1, 2012 and begin play in the Big East in the 2012-13 school year.

The addition of the Horned Frogs will immediately bolster the football league. It also would increase the basketball membership to 17 teams.

The Horned Frogs (12-0) are ranked No. 3 in the current BCS rankings and are guaranteed their first BCS bowl. By adding TCU for the 2012-13 school year, the Horned Frogs would take "all of their data to their new league," BCS spokesman Bill Hancock told FanHouse.

However, the current four-year evaluation period for the BCS concludes in December 2011, so TCU's past BCS rankings – three consecutive top 11 BCS rankings, including this year – would not transfer to the Big East unless it joined the league before the 2012-13 school year.

The current 2008-11 evaluation period is being used to determine if a seventh conference earns automatic qualifying status for the 2012 and 2013 regular seasons – and the Mountain West (TCU's current home) will not qualify. The Big East, however, already has its automatic qualifying status for the 2012 and 2013 regular seasons by virtue of the contracts, Hancock said.

Adding TCU also would strengthen its position when the league starts renegotiating its television contracts that expires after the 2013 season.

TCU will be located an average of 1,140 miles from the other football league members.

There had been speculation that TCU would join the league as a football-only member and would try to place its non-football sports in the WAC. However, TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte previous told The Sporting News if the Horned Frogs leave the Mountain West, they would not do so as a football-only member.

Big East commissioner John Marinatto had previously told FanHouse that if the Big East added new members before the current TV contracts expire, the league could seek to renegotiate.

"Membership -- quality membership and quality inventory -- drives value," Marinatto said. "We're certainly cognizant of the value that expansion and quality inventory would bring to a television partner."

The Big East had said a few weeks ago it wanted to get its football membership to 10 teams. The league also made an offer to Villanova, a member in all sports but football, to move up from FCS to the Big East.

"Villanova has been obviously a member of the conference for 30 years," Marinatto told FanHouse. "We've encouraged them for a number of years going back to 1997 to do whatever they feel is in their best interest. I think they're in the process of evaluating that question and if they evaluate it in the affirmative, we'll obviously have a conversation about membership."

The league expects to get an answer from Villanova by the end of the 2010-11 school year.

BE needs all the help it can get...

Legistically makes no sense for the fans who travel. That said, I don't know how they travel, so it might not matter. The Big 12 missed a good opportunity here, and it would make more sense.

Legistically makes no sense for the fans who travel. That said, I don't know how they travel, so it might not matter. The Big 12 missed a good opportunity here, and it would make more sense.

Logistically it may make more sense than their previous conference. Some of those are further, San Diego. With DFW right next door, it is a direct flight to most Big East Schools except Syracuse and UConn.

For football its a big get. For basketball, 17 can't be a good number plus they are likely to be a bottom feeder in the conference standings for years to come. But hey, they will certainly compete in golf every year. Have you seen some of those courses in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

For football its a big get. For basketball, 17 can't be a good number plus they are likely to be a bottom feeder in the conference standings for years to come. But hey, they will certainly compete in golf every year. Have you seen some of those courses in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

This move is all about football.

Stupidest move TCU could have possibly made...

How so?

Now they can lose games and still make it to BCS bowls.. they expand their national exposure.. they'll play in front of bigger crowds.. and their non-football sports will improve..

Smart move for the Big East as well.

They now have a greater chance of landing recruits from Texas... a hot-bed for recruiting.

Other than the travel required for all sports, smart move for both sides.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

Now the ball is in Boise's court.

TCU took the chance to be a better team, give up some undefeated seasons, to get a true NC berth. (On most years, of course not really this one)

But will Boise??? Doubt it.

Like I've stated before, the super conferences are coming and they are going to break away from the BCS/NCAA in the near future. With the money that is being talked about, a way will be found to get it done and smaller universities have to start positioning themselves right now.

The TCU move is a win for the university and a win for the Big East. The Big East needed to add a formidable football program, a new market for its product, and TCU needed an automatic qualifying conference for its football program.

How so?

Now they can lose games and still make it to BCS bowls.. they expand their national exposure.. they'll play in front of bigger crowds.. and their non-football sports will improve..

Smart move for the Big East as well.

They now have a greater chance of landing recruits from Texas... a hot-bed for recruiting.

Other than the travel required for all sports, smart move for both sides.

1. I'm sure all those Texas high school players are salivating at the chance of playing...Syracuse, Rutgers, UConn...in markets that are 2000 miles away from them. Recruits in that part of the world grew up wanting to play against local opponents, not opponents half a nation away. Try selling the WVU-Pitt combo of opponents to recruits used to Texas-Oklahoma. Not happening. They've just neutered their Texas recruiting.

2. They were making BCS bowls anyway. It's a lateral move, at best. Plus, look who the MWC was getting in 1-2 years. They'd have stole the Big East's AQ...

3. The MWC was pretty darned good in basketball. It's no Big East, but why play in a conference for basketball where you'll be no better than 12th every single year? You're sacrificing every other sport for the sake of football, and once Patterson leaves for greener pastures...

4. The travel is RIDICULOUSLY cost-prohibitive, for ALL sports. Living near a major airport hub means that it costs MORE, not less, to take flights. It's cheaper to connect than it is for a straight flight out of a major airport.

5. It's going to kill the non-revenue athletes who now have a travel schedule looking like this: Dallas-Syracuse-Dallas-Hartford-Dallas...all in the course of a week.

6. Speaking of non-revenue sports, outside of football and basketball, what else does the Big East have? The Big East is exclusively a revenue sports conference, and is historically pretty awful at non-revenues. It's not like they're gaining anything non-revenue that they didn't already have. Thus, TCU is not improving its other programs, and is handcuffing them for the future.

It's VERY clear to me how this move handicaps TCU. I, frankly, see no benefit in it.

Edited by UVAObserver

1. I'm sure all those Texas high school players are salivating at the chance of playing...Syracuse, Rutgers, UConn...in markets that are 2000 miles away from them. Recruits in that part of the world grew up wanting to play against local opponents, not opponents half a nation away. Try selling the WVU-Pitt combo of opponents to recruits used to Texas-Oklahoma. Not happening. They've just neutered their Texas recruiting.

2. They were making BCS bowls anyway. It's a lateral move, at best. Plus, look who the MWC was getting in 1-2 years. They'd have stole the Big East's AQ...

3. The MWC was pretty darned good in basketball. It's no Big East, but why play in a conference for basketball where you'll be no better than 12th every single year? You're sacrificing every other sport for the sake of football, and once Patterson leaves for greener pastures...

4. The travel is RIDICULOUSLY cost-prohibitive, for ALL sports. Living near a major airport hub means that it costs MORE, not less, to take flights. It's cheaper to connect than it is for a straight flight out of a major airport.

5. It's going to kill the non-revenue athletes who now have a travel schedule looking like this: Dallas-Syracuse-Dallas-Hartford-Dallas...all in the course of a week.

6. Speaking of non-revenue sports, outside of football and basketball, what else does the Big East have? The Big East is exclusively a revenue sports conference, and is historically pretty awful at non-revenues. It's not like they're gaining anything non-revenue that they didn't already have. Thus, TCU is not improving its other programs, and is handcuffing them for the future.

It's VERY clear to me how this move handicaps TCU. I, frankly, see no benefit in it.

I don't think they neutered anything. You don't think having more exposure in Texas won't help the Big East schools grab a few Texas recruits in the long run? Its not a sure benefit, not a direct benefit, and not an immediate benefit - but they have a hand in the pot now, thats more than what they had. It can only help.

Texas is a pipeline for about 30 states - not every athlete in Texas stays in Texas. And now that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor are all subpar...looks like the Big East landed the best college football program in Texas - at least for now.

When TCU can lose 1 or 2 games each year, go to a BCS bowl, and play a good team instead of having to run the table just to avoid playing USF or FAU each year in a bowl - I think it's a step up.

Now I'll agree, in sports other than football, it's a questionable move. But TCU being the Jesus-lovin' Old Testament fearin' bunch they are - they went all or none. It may in fact hurt their lacrosse, swimming, soccer, and tiddly-winks teams but I don't think TCU or many people in Texas care. Kids will still accept scholarships to play there because 1) they're in the Big East now so they get better competition and exposure 2) people decide to attend TCU on other merits too, like the "C" in the initials.

The travel will suck. Thats the part that blows my mind but its only a little worse than Pheonix to Tacoma or Boston to Miami. Granted they have to do it pretty much all the time and not once a year but hey, Hawaii survives, right?

Edited by deuceswild

I dont know about that. All it takes for TCU now is one loss and they are out of a BCS bid. Now they can afford to have a bad game or two. And with Utah and BYU leaving the MWC, Bringing in Boise and Nevada wouldnt have made the MWC a powerhouse. All it would have brought was the Boise-TCU matchup.

I don't know about that. It is always more expensive for me to fly out of Tri-Cities, rather than Charlotte.

I don't know about that. It is always more expensive for me to fly out of Tri-Cities, rather than Charlotte.

Not to mention the additional travel expenses of charting buses for a team if where you need to play isn't near a mid-major airport. Ask anyone who has had to fly into Roanoke and bus to Blacksburg to play a game.

travel not much of an issue...big east conference in olympic sports and such do not require teams to play regular season matches agains big east opponents...just in the tournaments at end of year.

I'm pretty sure they are required. I know that soccer in the Big East is broken up into two divisions so they don't play the other division. I assume the divisions would switch every year, but I don't know for sure.