Marion Football Coach

BIGRED

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did beat us in the state semis one year, maybe in '91. I was too young to know anything about football then and didnt even live in Haysi. Did Lebanon win state that year?

Im just saying the Power-I limits the passing game alot. Im just not really a fan of 4 back offenses, double tight offenses(for falconfan1 the wishbone, Power-T and the Power-I). Now if thats what your talent dictates then so be it but I wouldnt set out saying "were gonna run the Power-I and run people over". Open the offense up a little and become much harder to defend.

Lee High also kicked the crap out of Haysi 2 times using the Power-I, they ran Blast about 30 times a game and keeper or dive to mix it up. That approach worker real well against Haysi(a school 1/3 the size of Lee) but didnt work out so well against Lebanon or Gate City. If they were more varied maybe they would have done better against the really good teams? If your approach is to defeat the teams that you are better than then your missing the big picture.

From what I have seen Northwood threw the ball alot w/ a split end and ran mostly the straight series from their single wing, thats not exactly a "traditional" single wing approach, like the buck lateral or FB spin series

Edited by redtiger

When playing in state semi finals it isint uncommon to get beat by really good teams running all kinds of different offenses. What kind of offenses did Abingdon play against in their past state semi finals appearances?

No they haven't...I wasn't trying to put down anyone's program. Just simply saying that the Power I can be very effective. The straight T can be very effective as well. Do people forget that is the backbone of Gate City's offense. I also recall several of Tom Turner's teams winning the state title with it as well. Don't think that redtiger can say anything about Appalachia's enrollment.

Alot of those Appy teams were very big on the line and had very good backs and GC is loaded year in and year out. I just dont think it is a smart to take a small team w/o a solid weightlifting program and attempt to run a power offense unless it is an offense that takes advantage of blocking angles(like a double wing or wing T). The Power-I is like the name implies about power and I dont see how a team that isint a strong team can run that as their base offense

say what you want about any and all formations. When it comes down to it run what fits your players. for a lot of us smaller schools that don't have very good programs I think running wing-t formations and running belleyoption and inside trap and power mixed in with some play action off these series helps the small school teams.

Alot of those Appy teams were very big on the line and had very good backs and GC is loaded year in and year out. I just dont think it is a smart to take a small team w/o a solid weightlifting program and attempt to run a power offense unless it is an offense that takes advantage of blocking angles(like a double wing or wing T). The Power-I is like the name implies about power and I dont see how a team that isint a strong team can run that as their base offense

Actually I would argue that Appy was very undersized a lot of times.

They were alot of times. Im kind of arguing in a vaccum, NW for example is not gonna be bigger or stronger than anyone in the near future, Appy was on alot of occasions. NW also doesent have the quality of backs that Appy did. Thats my point if you have the personell then run whatever fits, if you dont then run something that is adaptable. Most good power offense teams have depth that allows them to be varied in the run game, if you only have 1 good RB the power style of attack limits what you can do(ex Power I and run Blast all day or Power T and run FB dive, belly lead, FB lead, quick pitch, QB keeper, HB dive etc)

My thoughts on offense are confuse the defense w/ false keys such as play action and deceptive formations, keep them guessing

Appy does this but from 1 primary formation, they generally have 1 blocking type HB which leads the D to believe the play is going his way, as soon as the D is focused on the "strong" side Turner would run Quick toss to the "weak" side. Appy would smack you in the mouth but they were deceptive about it, its very hard to line up, tell the D which is your strong side and where you would like to go w/ the ball when you dont have a counter play

I have noticed that you put quotes around "strong" and "weak" side when discussing APP's offense. I just wanted to how you would designate that to your team ole guru. Are you going to base it on wide/short side of the field, down and distance, or personnel groupings? Since they run mainly out of the double tight T. Just curious.

They were alot of times. Im kind of arguing in a vaccum, NW for example is not gonna be bigger or stronger than anyone in the near future, Appy was on alot of occasions. NW also doesent have the quality of backs that Appy did. Thats my point if you have the personell then run whatever fits, if you dont then run something that is adaptable. Most good power offense teams have depth that allows them to be varied in the run game, if you only have 1 good RB the power style of attack limits what you can do(ex Power I and run Blast all day or Power T and run FB dive, belly lead, FB lead, quick pitch, QB keeper, HB dive etc)

My thoughts on offense are confuse the defense w/ false keys such as play action and deceptive formations, keep them guessing

Appy does this but from 1 primary formation, they generally have 1 blocking type HB which leads the D to believe the play is going his way, as soon as the D is focused on the "strong" side Turner would run Quick toss to the "weak" side. Appy would smack you in the mouth but they were deceptive about it, its very hard to line up, tell the D which is your strong side and where you would like to go w/ the ball when you dont have a counter play

I have noticed that you put quotes around "strong" and "weak" side when discussing APP's offense. I just wanted to how you would designate that to your team ole guru. Are you going to base it on wide/short side of the field, down and distance, or personnel groupings? Since they run mainly out of the double tight T. Just curious.

Could go wide side of the field or you could key on the best back an designate which ever side that back was on the "strong" side. Ive seen it done that way before.

Appy generally has 1 quick HB and 1 power HB in addition to the FB, the power back does the majority of the blocking for the other HB and the FB. Appys basic play series is a FB dive in A gap followed by a fake HB Buck in C gap w/ the power HB blocking for him or a fake FB Dive followed by the HB Buck play. The smaller HB generally doesent lead block, thus the "strond side" would be whatever side the power HB is on. Appy also ran alot of FB Lead w/ the power HB blocking. Its like this do you want your ball carrier running behind a 150lb lead blocker or a 200lb lead blocker?

Like I said Appy would smack people in the mouth but they did it w/ alot of deceptive play calling, thats what made Appy great, not simply a power attack

Every team has tendencies, in most offenses its the offensive coordinators job to show those and take advantage of how the defense reacts to them. Offensive football is a chess match of sorts, its about showing your opponent something that isint there, smoke and mirrors. Now if you have big, powerful athletes (Gate City) then you can run whatever you want! In alot of cases Gate Citys opponent could be in the offensive huddle and still couldnt stop them from running the ball wherever they wanted. Haysi doesent often have a strong side, but does have tendencies related to what formation they are running. Haysi runs alot of formations and personell groupings but only a handfull of plays, again showing the defense something that they think they have seen before and giving them something different

Edited by redtiger

I know at hurley when we watched film we would have 3 or 4 predetermined plays we would run on defense depending on what formation the offense was in. Usually in a wing-t or other offenses similar to the wing-t, one player will take you to the ball, usually being the fullback, offensive tackle or guard.

Exactly those are the defenses keys, a good offensive coordinator will show those keys to the defense and then run a play they arent expecting like a pass off of a run fake, T teams or wing-T teams do the same thing but with 1 run play setting up another. When I think Power-I I think Blast, which doesent offer alot of deception and like the name says relies on power

Could go wide side of the field or you could key on the best back an designate which ever side that back was on the "strong" side. Ive seen it done that way before.

The only strong side Marion should worry about is when the MIGHTY FALCONS COME TO TOWN! The weak side will be their sideline and the strong side will be our sideline ya DA!

The only strong side Marion should worry about is when the MIGHTY FALCONS COME TO TOWN! The weak side will be their sideline and the strong side will be our sideline ya DA!

Lord the birdboy has been let out of his cell. Does anyone else notice how much he has in common with Charlie Sheen when he talks?

Lord the birdboy has been let out of his cell. Does anyone else notice how much he has in common with Charlie Sheen when he talks?

Ok? Umm not getting it? Your point is what? Who is Charlie Sheen? Is that the new coach the candies are hiring because I promise you he will know who FALCONMAN IS BABY!

Ok? Umm not getting it? Your point is what? Who is Charlie Sheen? Is that the new coach the candies are hiring because I promise you he will know who FALCONMAN IS BABY!

Simple equation Charlie Sheen = Nut Job Loud Mouth = Falconman