The New Head Coach at PH is...........

littlebluefan

Rye Cove was solid in 2000 but that was the last descent Cumberland team. I think that was the last Cumberland team to beat Haysi until this past season.

Why did RC host the Reg C champ at GC and not at RC?

I think we were pretty much talking football, the Cumberland is a very good basketball district and baseball is ok for this area (the area as a whole is pretty weak in Baseball)

You Abingdon guys talk alot of crap but ive said it before, the last 4 times the mighty falcons played Honaker they got beat! Not much room to brag there!

And no Honaker is in the BDD not the Cumberland

And that Rye Cove team was beat by Black Diamond District's own Garden Green Dragons (R.I.P) and then we got obliterated by the last decent team Pound ever fielded in athletics.

I'd say without a doubt the Cumberland is the worst district in organized sports in VA hands down.

And good in basketball? Twin Springs wins the district every year with an exchange student or NE TN transfer. Think of it like this St. Paul, and Castlewood are down and may consolidate teams b/c the kids from St. Paul are going to go to C-wood b4 they do anywhere else. Coeburn and Ervinton? Michael Paul's doing a good job at Rye Cove but they've been down in boys sports.... Thomas Walkers been decent the past few years but my god that gives Twin Springs 10 or 12 wins right there a year playing in that district.

If Richlands and Tazewell drop to single A in two years I think Council and Twin Valley should petition to go to the Cumberland lol...

Edited by eastboundanddown

TS does have some really good transfers come in but that is beside the point, a Cumberland team wins region pretty regularly. TS has had some very good teams(even if the transfer is their star player), Castlewood has produced some really good teams and the rest of the district is solid except Ervinton which is Ervinton. I agree tho it has to be the worst overall district in VA.

Not to doubt you but I thought Rye Cove won region in '00? Haysi beat both Garden and Pound that season but lost to RC? I thought Pounds last good season was '99(we beat them that season also)?

Edited by redtiger

TS does have some really good transfers come in but that is beside the point, a Cumberland team wins region pretty regularly. TS has had some very good teams(even if the transfer is their star player) and Castlewood has produced some really good teams. I agree tho it has to be the worst overall district in VA.

Not to doubt you but I thought Rye Cove won region in '00? Haysi beat both Garden and Pound that season but lost to RC? I thought Pounds last good season was '99(we beat them that season also)?

Pounds best year was 99.

When Richlands and Tazewell drop down I hope they dont join the BDD because the current BDD schools would be screwed! I think that when that happens the districts will be realigned between big/small schools, I dont know where Hurley, Council and TV are gonna go? Im assuming Grundy will wanna be in the same district w/ the TC schools and Honaker wont want to stay in the BDD or maybe they will who knows?

Yeah i think eastbound has his years off by 1. In 2000 the Bill Houseright Rye Cove Eagles lost in the state semi-finals to the Chris Jones Bath County Chargers. I was at that game. Bath had about 5 foot splits between lineman.

Can anyone tell me the last time Abingdon won a district title in football?

The Falcons won a district title in 2004. My dad said they went to the playoffs that year and lost to Carroll Co in overtime.

Hey G-Man, when is the last time Graham has been relevant in a football conversation? You guys have been a bottom feeder since I can remember. As I have said before just because your program is going south, don't take it out on programs that are on the rise. Watch out for the Falcon Express over the next few years! Too bad you guys dropped us-easy win every year. :D

The Falcons won a district title in 2004. My dad said they went to the playoffs that year and lost to Carroll Co in overtime.

Hey G-Man, when is the last time Graham has been relevant in a football conversation? You guys have been a bottom feeder since I can remember. As I have said before just because your program is going south, don't take it out on programs that are on the rise. Watch out for the Falcon Express over the next few years! Too bad you guys dropped us-easy win every year. :D

In 2004, Abingdon went 0-6 in the SWD and did not make the playoffs. They did make the playoffs in 2003 and did lose to Carroll Co. in OT in the playoffs, however, they went 2-4 in the SWD and did not win the district.

That is also the last year Graham was relevant in football...they went 10-3, sweeping the SWD (6-0), and lost to Gretna in the State Semis, giving Gretna their closest game of that season.

Yes, they did win the district (Highlands) that season. Dad said they had a good football team that year, but were not used to traveling on those road trips. The Falcons were district champs and hosted a region game that year.:D

Yes, they did win the district (Highlands) that season. Dad said they had a good football team that year, but were not used to traveling on those road trips. The Falcons were district champs and hosted a region game that year.:D

2003 Falcons went 6-5, won the Highlands but the 2nd place team was 4-6. Abingdon only beat one SWD team (Tazewell 13-9) and they went 1-9 that year.

2003 was the last year of the Highlands. I know Abingdon, Marion, and Virginia High were in it but was Lee in the Highlands at the time? I know they were previously but in the back of my mind they dropped to single A before '03.

2003 Falcons went 6-5, won the Highlands but the 2nd place team was 4-6. Abingdon only beat one SWD team (Tazewell 13-9) and they went 1-9 that year.

2003 was the last year of the Highlands. I know Abingdon, Marion, and Virginia High were in it but was Lee in the Highlands at the time? I know they were previously but in the back of my mind they dropped to single A before '03.

Pretty sure 2006 was the last year for the Highlands. Coach Smith and V-High won the last 3 Highlands titles.

Yeah i think eastbound has his years off by 1. In 2000 the Bill Houseright Rye Cove Eagles lost in the state semi-finals to the Chris Jones Bath County Chargers. I was at that game. Bath had about 5 foot splits between lineman.

RC was lighting BC up with the option early but BC made an adjustment by sending the OB to the RB instead of the QB. Had RC changed to a power option allowing the FB to block that OB their speed could outclass BCs. It was a good game, but BC made better adjustments.

The fall of 99 Garden scored with 1.4 seconds left on a long screen play to upset RC who was the 1 seed. RC lost 2 RBs and a TE to injury that game. Very poorly played game on both sides, but Garden got it done in the end.

I was kinda wondering which. I never thought RCs field was in that bad of shape(I know its not the nicest in the world but who cares?), it may have been the seating issue

Also, due to a seating and lack of fencing surrounding the field, RC has to play any state competition game at a qualifying field.

RC was lighting BC up with the option early but BC made an adjustment by sending the OB to the RB instead of the QB. Had RC changed to a power option allowing the FB to block that OB their speed could outclass BCs. It was a good game, but BC made better adjustments.

Could have thrown seam to the TE to back the OB off but your right the power option would have worked

MED has beat up on Hogoheegee teams for the last three years. Fort Chiswell has beaten GW, RR, & Chilhowie in the regular season for the last three years. So has Grayson. Also, The Fort has beaten Floyd two times in one year (2010) Cumberland and Hogo are worse than MED.

Last two against GW by 9 points combined. I refuse to give FC more credit than is due.