New head coach at Battle

redtiger

I know this is a hard question but, do you think it is a good move for him?

Battle seems to be promising (Whitten had something going over there) but it wont be any easier to make the playoffs and will only be a little easier to win district.

Edited by redtiger

I'm not so sure about a run game for next year. We lost the bulk of our running game due to graduation, but we'll be set up for a pass heavy game with Rogers, Tipton, and others. Not saying we can't run, we'll just be better with a pass game next year, though I really don't know what young'uns we have coming up. Also, we really didn't run the Spread exclusively. Witten used it some, but also tried to use Power I and something else (can't remember what it was). But I don't know that much about formations, so I don't know what worked for us and what we ran the most. Just going by what he talked about doing and assuming he tried it.

I hope this guy from Marion is a good coach. Can anyone give me a little info on him?

Just my opnions on a couple of offenses

The double slot (2 recievers 2 wingbacks) relies on having 2 quick, talented wings to carry most of the load(running and recieving) but is very flexible and can be adapted to run alot of different plays and is basically a tight Spread and can be ran as such. But there are alot of 1 on 1 blocks for everyone

The double wing (2 tightends 2 wingbacks) is power driven, and uses alot of angles and again relies on 2 wingbacks but they dont have to be quick fast or even talented, its a very "grind it out" type of offense but execution needs to be near perfect. Again everyone has to block but there are alot more double teams

two very different offenses that often get lumped together. Both are also very different from the Wing-T, or atleast use different play series as their base. Of course there are a 1000 ways to run any offensive play series

Edited by redtiger

Wright is a great coach. And he'll stick around for more than a season barring anything unexpected. Battle is pretty fortunate.

That's good to hear. I really hope that he can stay for many years. It'll be rough for the first 2-3 years but if we could just keep a coach for 10 years or more (or just even 5 years) I think we could really turn things around. I'd like to see a little tougher schedule also. It'd be nice to drop Abingdon, PH, and Holston at least for a couple of years and try someone different, but unfortunately that'll never happen.

Just my opnions on a couple of offenses

The double slot (2 recievers 2 wingbacks) relies on having 2 quick, talented wings to carry most of the load(running and recieving) but is very flexible and can be adapted to run alot of different plays and is basically a tight Spread and can be ran as such. But there are alot of 1 on 1 blocks for everyone

The double wing (2 tightends 2 wingbacks) is power driven, and uses alot of angles and again relies on 2 wingbacks but they dont have to be quick fast or even talented, its a very "grind it out" type of offense but execution needs to be near perfect. Again everyone has to block but there are alot more double teams

two very different offenses that often get lumped together. Both are also very different from the Wing-T, or atleast use different play series as their base. Of course there are a 1000 ways to run any offensive play series

Thanks for the info!

That's good to hear. I really hope that he can stay for many years. It'll be rough for the first 2-3 years but if we could just keep a coach for 10 years or more (or just even 5 years) I think we could really turn things around. I'd like to see a little tougher schedule also. It'd be nice to drop Abingdon, PH, and Holston at least for a couple of years and try someone different, but unfortunately that'll never happen.

Hosting those games is good for the gate.

Thanks for the info!

Anytime, I dont know everything but I do know what im talking about. If you have any questions just PM me and I will tell you what I can.

hogo is right those are good gate games, even w/ those 3 and your CMD schedule that leaves 3 games for new/different teams

I think Wright will be a good coach for Battle. All of the kids at Marion like him. He always ran a great strength and conditioning program while he was here. He was the head coach here at Marion when we went to the state semifinals against Pulaski County. I hope he does well for you guys!

Edited by HurricaneWarning

Steve Wright is an exceptional hire for John Battle. He is a man of great moral character and is one of the best guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

Wow, are you 2 going steady yet? LOL jk

Steve Wright is an exceptional hire for John Battle. He is a man of great moral character and is one of the best guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

I 2nd that.... You will not find a better role model for the kids than Steve Wright. He is a stickler for conditioning, also. He'll be hard to replace as a teacher and role model at MSHS!

Coach Wright is an excellent coach and human being!!! Great Hire!!!

Is this coach Wright related to coach Jim Wright who coached football and wrestling at Saltville back in the mid to late '60's?

Edited by blueinbama