Graham changes??

frito gonzales

Hate to nit-pick, but I'm pretty sure Pocy wasn't the smallest publiic HS in Va.

Without digging through folders to look, I'd say MAYBE Chincoteague and most likely Council were smaller, and definately Mt. Rogers.

I know for a fact that Pocahontas was the smallest public high school in Virginia as of its closure.

Perhaps Chincoteague and Council were larger during the '90s. If so, it wasn't by any appreciable amount.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact that Pocahontas was the smallest public high school in Virginia as of its closure.

Perhaps Chincoteague and Council were larger during the '90s. If so, it wasn't by any appreciable amount.

Yes...of all of the football playing schools, Pocahontas was the smallest for a long time...

Somebody mentioned Mt. Rogers??? I don't think they play football, and I don't think they are a public (VHSL) school...

Yes...of all of the football playing schools, Pocahontas was the smallest for a long time...

Somebody mentioned Mt. Rogers??? I don't think they play football, and I don't think they are a public (VHSL) school...

I didn't think Mount Rogers was a VHSL school, either. Could be wrong, though.

Highland Co. was smaller than Pocahontas but they did not (and still do not) have a football team.

The 2007 VHSL numbers had them about 20 people larger, IIRC.

Regardless, we're splitting hairs that have already been split. The point stands: Pocahontas was freaking tiny, and Wyatt still pulled out several winning seasons and one MED title.

Regardless, we're splitting hairs that have already been split. The point stands: Pocahontas was freaking tiny, and Wyatt still pulled out several winning seasons and one MED title.

Thats the same thing ive been saying about Mark Palmer, to even make a school that small competitive is quite an accompolishment and hints to a good coach. I would think winning in the MED would be harder than winning in the Cumberland, just due to the fact that the MED has some bigger schools

Thats the same thing ive been saying about Mark Palmer, to even make a school that small competitive is quite an accompolishment and hints to a good coach. I would think winning in the MED would be harder than winning in the Cumberland, just due to the fact that the MED has some bigger schools

No matter who walks into this job will look great! Graham has football history, more so than any MED school. Their biggest competitor would be Galax every couple years, Ft. Chiswell every couple years, and Grayson I believe has more students than they do. Grayson at one time would have gave them a good game but they have fallen off in recent years.

Graham had a pretty decent jr. high team last year. I just really think whoever steps in there will win all or all but 1 game in MED year in and year out. They will lose a couple of OOC games to old SWD foes and Blfd, but will pull one of those out from time to time. Graham will see a state championship from this division in the next 3-5 years.

No matter who walks into this job will look great! Graham has football history, more so than any MED school. Their biggest competitor would be Galax every couple years, Ft. Chiswell every couple years, and Grayson I believe has more students than they do. Grayson at one time would have gave them a good game but they have fallen off in recent years.

Graham had a pretty decent jr. high team last year. I just really think whoever steps in there will win all or all but 1 game in MED year in and year out. They will lose a couple of OOC games to old SWD foes and Blfd, but will pull one of those out from time to time. Graham will see a state championship from this division in the next 3-5 years.

I have to disagree. It doesn't matter how good the players are if the coach is not up to par then it will bring the players down to a lower level. My case in point is in 1986 the Smyth Co. school board chose to make Gary "Peaches" Arnold the coach for the new Northwood High School over Dean Rhea. This was the wrong choice as Peaches had lots of talent to work with but didn't do anything with it. While Dean went to Rural Retreat and turned that program into a winner. So it does matter who get's the HC job because it will determine if you win or lose as a program no matter what kind of players you have. I often wonder what kind of program Northwood would have had if Dean would have gotten the job.

I was talking more about Wyatt while he was at Pocy, but youre right Graham will do very well in the MED for several reasons(being in the group they are supposed to be in, weaker overall competition in the MED) but I seriously doubt they will be winning any State Championships anytime soon. I may be wrong but D2 isint that much weaker than D3 and Graham was no where near competitive there, but w/ the right coachwho knows. I do think things will be better for Graham in the years to come.

I was talking more about Wyatt while he was at Pocy, but youre right Graham will do very well in the MED for several reasons(being in the group they are supposed to be in, weaker overall competition in the MED) but I seriously doubt they will be winning any State Championships anytime soon. I may be wrong but D2 isint that much weaker than D3 and Graham was no where near competitive there, but w/ the right coachwho knows. I do think things will be better for Graham in the years to come.

I believe that D-2...region C is much deeper than D-3 ....Region IV....the ONLY 2 quality teams in D-3, Region IV lately have been Richlands and Cave Spring...EVRYBODY else pretty much sucked.....There may be more "quality" teams in D-2 statewide....

We saw what happened to Graham the last time they played a quality D-2 team in Gretna...they got destroyed...

To say Graham will have a state title in a few years is ridiculous....they are a VERY long way from even being able to compete with some of the D-2 playoff teams like Radford, Giles, Floyd, Gate City, Gretna, Essex, Buckingham....and I could go on and on...

For them to have any shot...somebody is going to have to turn around a team that has been left in shambles and that would have to be a pretty dramatic turn around.

I believe that D-2...region C is much deeper than D-3 ....Region IV....the ONLY 2 quality teams in D-3, Region IV lately have been Richlands and Cave Spring...EVRYBODY else pretty much sucked.....There may be more "quality" teams in D-2 statewide....

We saw what happened to Graham the last time they played a quality D-2 team in Gretna...they got destroyed...

To say Graham will have a state title in a few years is ridiculous....they are a VERY long way from even being able to compete with some of the D-2 playoff teams like Radford, Giles, Floyd, Gate City, Gretna, Essex, Buckingham....and I could go on and on...

For them to have any shot...somebody is going to have to turn around a team that has been left in shambles and that would have to be a pretty dramatic turn around.

Hopefully, once Graham becomes respectable again, Graham can get some of those old series going, like Gate City, etc.

"We saw what happened to Graham the last time they played a quality D-2 team in Gretna...they got destroyed..."

That Gretna team would have destroyed every team on Graham's schedule that year. Not a typical "Single A" team. They were loaded! They won state quite easily that year.

I would have to say that no Single A program will have Graham's facilities to include: Weight Room, Locker Room and of course Stadium. You couple that with the young talent coming up and new coaching staff the future I think looks pretty good. You can't expect miracles overnight.

"We saw what happened to Graham the last time they played a quality D-2 team in Gretna...they got destroyed..."

That Gretna team would have destroyed every team on Graham's schedule that year. Not a typical "Single A" team. They were loaded! They won state quite easily that year.

I would have to say that no Single A program will have Graham's facilities to include: Weight Room, Locker Room and of course Stadium. You couple that with the young talent coming up and new coaching staff the future I think looks pretty good. You can't expect miracles overnight.

very True...but you'd be surprised at the facilities that single A teams have....Graham's facilities have been behind the curve for a long time.....(except for the stadium)....they're just finally catching up....

I certainly hope they get back to the way things were a few years back....the sooner it happens, the better....

I was hearing that as few as 18 players were planning to play next season....with the right coaches in place, we may see a big turnout for football season again....Graham went from over 60 players each year to barely over 30....and the enrollment hasn't changed significantly in either direction for the past several years...Look at what has happened at Christiansburg in just the past few years....a new coach came in and totally changed that program around, they went from being the dormats of the River Ridge to contenders and rivaling Salem the past couple of years....it can happen.

Graham went from stomping Christiansburg and picking the score....to being stomped with Christiansburg able to pick the score...in just a few short years.