Graham changes??

frito gonzales

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From bad to worse.

is it opposite day and noone told me???

seriously though, wyatt would be a pickup for Graham, especially since he coached in the M.E.D. for 10+ years and are familliar with all the teams.

From bad to worse.

In case you haven't noticed, Graham is at rock bottom right now. It isn't going to get any worse. Considering the situation at Tazewell I thought he did an exceptional job there. Who else has won a region title there in the last 25 years? And he was one point from winning another. So you guys laugh all you want. If Wyatt is named coach, he will have the support of this community, and our kids will come back out and play. We can handle losing if that is what happens. But honestly I think he will win.

If Wyatt brings in an experienced coaching staff he will succeed. If he only has "yes men" he will fail. A head coach is only as good as his assistants. Also, no more bullies please! Kids do not respond to that style of coaching.

From bad to worse.

Sticking by my guns. This is my opinion and is unbiased. I watched the Tazewell-Richlands regional championship game a couple of years ago. Honestly, Tazewell should have won that game by three touchdowns or better based on talent. To my recollection, Marrs engineered a major upset of Richlands in Ernie Hicks Stadium a couple of years ago as well. This is a hot topic for the G-Men, and I am not endorsing Marrs. Just comparing the two. If I were an A.D., I wouldn't hire either of them. Between the two, Marrs would be my choice. My feeling for Graham (if this is true) is that the G-Men will not make a marked improvement and will be a mediocre program. I know that Coach Carlock is missed both off and on the football field.

Sticking by my guns. This is my opinion and is unbiased. I watched the Tazewell-Richlands regional championship game a couple of years ago. Honestly, Tazewell should have won that game by three touchdowns or better based on talent. To my recollection, Marrs engineered a major upset of Richlands in Ernie Hicks Stadium a couple of years ago as well. This is a hot topic for the G-Men, and I am not endorsing Marrs. Just comparing the two. If I were an A.D., I wouldn't hire either of them. Between the two, Marrs would be my choice. My feeling for Graham (if this is true) is that the G-Men will not make a marked improvement and will be a mediocre program. I know that Coach Carlock is missed both off and on the football field.

Marrs didn't engineer any upset in 2007, as much as he was the beneficiary of dumb luck. Richlands had something like nine turnovers in that game, and Graham still won by just 5 points. That 2007 team was also the first team in Graham history to give up 50 points in a game (55-7 loss to Blacksburg). That 2007 team was also the first Graham team to lose to Abingdon since before I was born. You're not gonna believe this, but that 2007 team didn't crack 30 points in any game the entire season. If we're going to look at a team's work, then by golly, we're going to look at the whole body of work.

I know you're not endorsing Marrs. I know your opinion of Wyatt is low. But Wyatt has objectively done more than Marrs. It's not my opinion, it's fact. IMO, that 2004 Tazewell team was the worst team ever to win R4D3 (and I've went into this in detail before), but Wyatt was piloting the ship-he steered it well enough to take a severely deficient team to the state semifinals. In 2008, his Tazewell team (arguably one of the best NOT to win R4D3) gave Richlands everything it could handle in the R4 Title Game.

Marrs's best efforts were with Carlock's guys. I think it's most damning that starting with the 2008 team, the first team whose seniors did not play under Carlock, Marrs couldn't find his way back to the R4D3 title game. 3 losing seasons, and that abomination last year. And you're saying Wyatt couldn't do better? You best be joking, friend.

I'm a little surprised that Graham fans (at least the ones here) are okay with this. think Wyatt would be a lateral move at best. They have a better coach right under their own nose in Mike Henry. He may not be experienced but you won't find a coach anywhere who's better with the kids.

Why don't the Richlands guys worry about the Richlands teams and quit worrying about Graham. We are in different districts and differents divisons now. How bout we let Marrs come down there and screw up your program and lets see how you feel then. Wyatt may not even get the job. Lets see what happens, but ANYTHING is better than Doug Marrs coaching another minute at Graham High School. And that is the most important thing here.

That 2007 team was also the first team in Graham history to give up 50 points in a game (55-7 loss to Blacksburg).

Incorrect...Gate City put up 70+ on Graham in the early 70s...

I played for Marrs a couple of years when he was an assistant at Richlands.

Really? When did Doug Marrs coach at Richlands??? Must have been about 30 or so years ago...

How bout we let Marrs come down there and screw up your program and lets see how you feel then.

The western end of Tazewell County would implode if that happened...

I'm a little surprised that Graham fans (at least the ones here) are okay with this. think Wyatt would be a lateral move at best. They have a better coach right under their own nose in Mike Henry. He may not be experienced but you won't find a coach anywhere who's better with the kids.

I, too, think Henry would be the better choice.

Henry would be a great choice, being groomed from his father, who probably knows more about football that most coaches, and learning from Mance, another really good coach.

combine that with is passion for the young men and the sport. He gets my vote {if it counted}

Why don't the Richlands guys worry about the Richlands teams and quit worrying about Graham. We are in different districts and differents divisons now. How bout we let Marrs come down there and screw up your program and lets see how you feel then. Wyatt may not even get the job. Lets see what happens, but ANYTHING is better than Doug Marrs coaching another minute at Graham High School. And that is the most important thing here.

Another thing, Wyatt is great with the kids at Graham Middle, I know him and have a lot of respect for the man, he is a man of character and treats people with respect....win for Graham already.

Whomever gets the job it will be because they are the best candidate.Whether it is Wyatt, Henry, or even an outsider. They will have the full support of the community. At least we won't have our team get thrashed by 40 points and have our team trash talk in the newspaper, or have our coach say something to embarass himself on a weekly basis. What has happened to Graham football over the last 5 seasons is just a flat out disgrace. Now we get a clean slate, and a chance to rebuild it. It might work, it might not. But at least we aren't under a clueless dictator any more.