D1/D2 Sectional Breakdown from VHSL

great_state

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lonesome Pine District will be broken up most likely. If so, I've heard the Appalachia/Powell Valley name will be the Lonesome Pine Trailblazers, Lonesome Pine Bears, or the Lonesome Pine Pioneers.

If the LPD can be saved by adding another member or 2, then Union High or something else would be used. I like the Black Mountain idea, btw.

The LPD won't break up within the next couple of weeks. But there's absolutely no reason to stop them from going with LPHS. There HAVE been Districts with the same name as a HS before (James River & Potomac existed in 1989), although the school wasn't in the same-named District.

The Lonesome Pine District will be broken up most likely. If so, I've heard the Appalachia/Powell Valley name will be the Lonesome Pine Trailblazers, Lonesome Pine Bears, or the Lonesome Pine Pioneers.

If the LPD can be saved by adding another member or 2, then Union High or something else would be used. I like the Black Mountain idea, btw.

Lonesome Pine Trailblazers.........I like it.

I also like Lonesome Pine Trailblazers.

I doubt the LPD will break up. It will still have the 3 WC schools and Clintwood, which will become DCHS. Maybe add Lee and thats a very solid district, all around not just football. As I understand it Lee doesent want to change districts so it could work with 4 schools

I also like Lonesome Pine Trailblazers.

I doubt the LPD will break up. It will still have the 3 WC schools and Clintwood, which will become DCHS. Maybe add Lee and thats a very solid district, all around not just football. As I understand it Lee doesent want to change districts so it could work with 4 schools

The old Highlands did it with 4 schools for a while. Virginia High, Abingdon, Marion, and Lee High.

Guest Highlanders

Wow, that's pretty bad that Division 4 AA Pulaski County will be playing a Division 1 Group A Radford team this year in football. Pulaski County needs to reconsider and stick to AAA or AA teams.

The BDD has been doing it with 4. Grundy also may look to join the new LPD, geographically not a great fit but size/sports wise much better than a BDD with Hurley, Honaker and Twin Valley

doubt the new one would be any different, the LPD has not been very warm towards Grundy joining lol.

Wow, that's pretty bad that Division 4 AA Pulaski County will be playing a Division 1 Group A Radford team this year in football. Pulaski County needs to reconsider and stick to AAA or AA teams.

Where ya been the past 2 years?

You DO know that they're just a few miles apart, amd Radford WON last year, right?

Where ya been the past 2 years?

You DO know that they're just a few miles apart, amd Radford WON last year, right?

Highlanders = salemfootball...what did you expect???

I have been told that Clintwood will remain in a 4 team LPD for at least the next 2 years and re-evaluade there position then.......As I understand it Norton has put out feelers reguarding joining the Cumberland and IF they leave then at that point i cant see the other members staying together

What I could see happenin is a Region wide redisticting in 2013....For an early jump lets say

District 1

GC, Lee, WC1, WC2, WC3

District 2

VHS, JSB, Lebanon, Tazwell, Richlands (Providing that Richlands is small enough by then AND both they and Tazwell want to drop)

District 3

TW, RC, TS, CW, JIB

District 4

Grundy, Hurley, TV, Honaker, DC (Assumeing that DC consoladation happens by then which it will probably not be the case)

It would SUCK to be Hurley or TV in this situation but there location limits them

Hurley and TV are in a tough position. I would like to see Castlewood join the BDD, I dont know that Castlewood would want that but it would work better for balancing the districts and put them in the same district as Honaker. I dont like DC in the BDD because DC will be around 700 students and thats just not good for competition, DC would be about 3 times the size of TV and Hurley, and about twice the size of Honaker

Cumberland - Tom Walker, Rye Cove,Twin Springs, and JI Burton

BDD - Castlewood, Honaker, Hurley and TV

That would leave the larger schools to form two districts,

SWD - Richlands, Grundy, Tazewell, VA High, JS Battle, Graham and Lebanon

LPD - Lee, Gate City, WC1, WC2, WC3 and DC.

Lee probably wouldnt like that but when faced w/ travel to Richlands, Tazewell and Bluefield the move would almost be forced

There are dozens of possibilities and who knows what will eventually work out

Edited by redtiger

LPD - Lee, Gate City, WC1, WC2, WC3 and DC.

Lee probably wouldnt like that but when faced w/ travel to Richlands, Tazewell and Bluefield the move would almost be forced

Not sure why they wouldn't like that. Initially the LPD is where they were looking to go to but the LPD schools didn't want it.

My understanding was that Lee didnt want to be involved in a new LPD. Your the authority on Lee athletics so I believe what you say. The 4 districts I outlined would be a very good setup for all of the schools

Oh yeah, well concerning this I think they've said they're fine with they are at right now, yeah, but I'm sure they probably wouldn't be all that unhappy with a move and that be especially true if Richlands, Tazewell, etc. were all to join up and that situation involved.

In the paper yesterday a solution has been worked out for the DCSB to secure the property necessary to build the new HS while allowing the elderly couple to keep their home, although they will have to sell most of their property. The new school is now expected to be opened by the 2014-2015 school year.

Im also hearing Ridgeview as the new schools name. I like it mainly because I dislike the County school names (Grayson Co, Carroll Co, etc) and because I hate names like Central. Central where?

Believe it or not that type of thing was a big factor in not calling the school Dickenson County

Oh, I believe it 100%.

Ridgeview is okay but just seems too plain. Sounds more like the type of name you would give a school on a sitcom. I like school's named after people. Surely there are some famous Dickenson Countians who garner enough pride to have a school named after them?

Theres not really a central figure. I was in favor of Colley-Mullins. The last names of the countys 2 original settlers Richard Colley and John Mullins, w/ a name like the Trailblazers, just a thought.

I kinda like Ridgeview. Pinewiew would have also worked, from where the school will sit it will have a great view of Pine Mtn. I also liked River Ridge, even though it copies the District. That is the geography of DC

Theres not really a central figure. I was in favor of Colley-Mullins. The last names of the countys 2 original settlers Richard Colley and John Mullins, w/ a name like the Trailblazers, just a thought.

I kinda like Ridgeview. Pinewiew would have also worked, from where the school will sit it will have a great view of Pine Mtn. I also liked River Ridge, even though it copies the District. That is the geography of DC

I think Richard Colley was known as "Fighting Dick Colley"......Sounds like a mascot to me......"The Richard Colley High Fighting Dicks" ......What could go wrong LOL

You're right on.

Clintwood/JI Burton will have a tougher time earlier in the playoffs, but they will be on a level playing field if they are able to make it to the finals. No more stacked deck. And no offense to GW or Radford but they are no better than the teams from Reg B that C/JIB were playing in the state finals.

True, but they will now face two of the best teams in the western part of the state for a shot at the finals or even SEMIS, where they will still have to battle an Altavista or Franklin in the final.

I think Richard Colley was known as "Fighting Dick Colley"......Sounds like a mascot to me......"The Richard Colley High Fighting Dicks" ......What could go wrong LOL

The girls teams nickname.

The Dickettes?

Wouldn't have been bad at all. Is it ironic that they were the two settlers, and also the last names of the head football coaches at two of the county school's football teams?

Shifty Powers High Bombadiers wouldn't have been bad.