The new football coach at Graham is......

Dung Marrs

Feel sorry for the Middle school kids.....

This guy seems great on paper, can't wait to see how he teaches and coaches the game, I'm now excited for the Graham/Beaver game and now maybe i can stay the entire game! Would like to know what offense and defense that he will be bringing with him. As for filling other coaches, I hope that he brings in guys that are willing to work together and teach these young men about the game of football and get Graham back to winning traditions. Congrats Graham!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for filling other coaches, I hope that he brings in guys that are willing to work together and teach these young men about the game of football

I'm pretty sure Coach Williams will make sure everyone is on the same page...

Is anyone a little nervous that he doesn't have any head coaching experience? I do think it was the right idea to hire a person from far away from here, that way he hasn't already been sucked into the politics of tazewell county.

Is anyone a little nervous that he doesn't have any head coaching experience? I do think it was the right idea to hire a person from far away from here, that way he hasn't already been sucked into the politics of tazewell county.

Bob hedrick,Glynn carlock, or Doug marrs didn't have head coaching experience. Williams seems more like carlock than the other two.let's give him a chance.we cant be any worse

you know i would think that every head coach either started out as an assistant for someone or got the job with no head coaching experience. the chicken or the egg they have to start somewhere either as a ex football player given the chance at a small school or working for a head coach. and if ghs does not give him the chance as head coach then where does he get the experience that you are worried he does not have.

As far as that goes, you never know how somebody will do. I don't think that Mance was a head coach before he got the head job at Richlands. I may be wrong, he may have been one somewhere before but I don't think so, at least not as a high school coach.

That seemed to turn out pretty well !

Maybe I meant since he hasn't been currently coaching. I understand not every person has been a head coach, that came out wrong. But I do agree he seems like a good guy with a good plan, and he's definitely an improvement.

I don't think anyone needs to be nervous. Coach Williams has apparently paid his dues in the coaching world. He has worked for Jim Reid, who was the LB coach for the Miami Dolphins 2 years ago. Looks like the G-Men want to reclaim past glories. Good Luck in the MED.

As far as that goes, you never know how somebody will do. I don't think that Mance was a head coach before he got the head job at Richlands. I may be wrong, he may have been one somewhere before but I don't think so, at least not as a high school coach.

That seemed to turn out pretty well !

Coach Mance worked his way up the ladder at Richlands. Was the Head JV Coach for a few years and then got the Head Coaching job.

I don't think anyone needs to be nervous. Coach Williams has apparently paid his dues in the coaching world. He has worked for Jim Reid, who was the LB coach for the Miami Dolphins 2 years ago. Looks like the G-Men want to reclaim past glories. Good Luck in the MED.

The same Jim Reid who is now the DC at UVA.

Williams's pedigree is as good as Graham could've ever hoped to get. I think this could be something special if Williams stays the course.

Honestly I hope he does the program right. I honestly do not expect big things right away. BUT I think with time he might be a great fit. Who knows (definitely going out on a huge limb here and don't get me wrong there will NEVER be as great of a coach than Coach) but maybe he will be almost as great as Coach for Graham. He is already a step up from what he just had...

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x357069140/AFTERNOON-UPDATE-New-Graham-football-coach-meets-with-G-Men

Over 30 players showed up to meet him today....that's about how many we had on the team last year....hopefully the numbers will go up with the renewed optimism about football around here...

It would be nice for somebody that's in a position to offer him some assistance for relocation, maybe let him and his family stay in a vacant apartment while they search for a house....or something along those lines......offer a storage building....etc....This guy is uprooting his life to come here and on very short notice....really extraordinary circumstances. The community should welcome this guy with open arms and help him in this process as much as possible.

Edited by futbolking

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x357069140/AFTERNOON-UPDATE-New-Graham-football-coach-meets-with-G-Men

Over 30 players showed up to meet him today....that's about how many we had on the team last year....hopefully the numbers will go up with the renewed optimism about football around here...

It would be nice for somebody that's in a position to offer him some assistance for relocation, maybe let him and his family stay in a vacant apartment while they search for a house....or something along those lines......offer a storage building....etc....This guy is uprooting his life to come here and on very short notice....really extraordinary circumstances. The community should welcome this guy with open arms and help him in this process as much as possible.

i for one sent him a emai the day we found out he was the new coach congratulating him on the ghs job and looked forward to him with ghs football and got a reply the next day thanking me for the email did not expect that but was nice that he took the time to reply.

I know that O'Neal talked earlier about wanting someone who could be more than just the football coach. Does anyone know what that other position would be for Williams?

He will be a social studies teacher at GMS, if that's what you mean.

So Doug will be there as well as Williams? hehe...

i dont think it will be as big a problem as many think personally doug is a good man just not a good coach. feel he will be cordial to the new head coach at ghs and wish him the best.

The way the building at GMS is laid out, unless their classrooms are right next door, they will probably not see each other often.

maybe in teachers lounge or during lunch but still i dont think it would be a problem both are professionals and should do fine at the middle school.

maybe in teachers lounge or during lunch but still i dont think it would be a problem both are professionals and should do fine at the middle school.

Absolutely, time to move on to a new beginning. No need for any of us to dwell on the past. Wish all of the luck in the world to the new coach. it sounds like he's off to a good start. The kids already seem to have respect for the man. He's young and hopefully things will go well and he will be succesful and make a good life for himself here.

I would like to see the team start winning again, but having this young man at the helm is wonderful to see. I do believe from his background and what he says, that he has the best interest of the kids at heart. He has repeatedly said he wants to build "men of character"...and that is awesome. "Men of character" are winners in life...

Marrs going to the Middle School.....THINK THAT

Dear Alex,

Who cares where your dad will be. He won't be the Athletic Director, Head Coach, or English Teacher at Graham High School anymore. And no one will miss him. Have a nice life.

Sincerely,

Everyone at SWVAsports.com