Brandon Tate Tazewell Coach

blow_tornado_dog

And You Will Never Hear From Him Again In About 3 Years.

and, he's officially on the clock...over/under is 3 years before they run this one off...i'll take the under...poor dude.

Was he hired strictly as a coach or will he have a teaching position, if so what would he teach?

Guidance Counselor, I've heard. What brings him to this area? I see he is originally from Mississippi. Does he have family here? Just curious.

What brings him to this area? I see he is originally from Mississippi. Does he have family here? Just curious.

Obviously, he isn't familiar with Tazewell and their issues. Otherwise, he probably would have never applied for the job...

official today. Brandon Tate has accepted the coaching job at Tazewell.

The BDT had a article on Friday stating they would have a decision Monday Night at a TCSB meeting......

The BDT had a article on Friday stating they would have a decision Monday Night at a TCSB meeting......

He's accepted the offer.....He isn't officially hired until the school board meets and approves new hires....

He's accepted the offer.....He isn't officially hired until the school board meets and approves new hires....

i can see it now...5 games in to the season, he could be 4-1 and the fans will start saying Graham got a better hire.

That is probably right Lance, I did run into a Graham player last night in Bluefield and the excitement over there new coach is obvious, maybe Tazewell will be the same way as it seems they have nowhere to go but up.

Tazewell coach sure has his work cut out....as Tazewell picked up Giles AND Blacksburg this year....pretty brave A.D. they've got over there....

Also GW and Lebanon won't be too shabby either... could be a very long season for a new coach, I hope the Tazewell fans exercise patience....as well as the Graham fans.... it sure won't happen overnight.

IMO Graham has the better road to success for a first year coach...both teams should have rocky starts, but then Graham's schedule lightens up a little more than Tazewell's, I think.

Obviously, he isn't familiar with Tazewell and their issues. Otherwise, he probably would have never applied for the job...

Probably a good thing so hopefully he will ignore the politics that come with the positions of tazewell county. I dont care what our record is at midseason. We have to stay behind our coach and give him some time. Who knows he could end up being a great coach.

Tazewell coach sure has his work cut out....as Tazewell picked up Giles AND Blacksburg this year....pretty brave A.D. they've got over there....

Giles isint the team they used to be, they almost lost to Haysi in a shootout last season and that was the worst Haysi team since 2000. There no pushover but there not the Giles team weve come to expect

Giles isint the team they used to be, they almost lost to Haysi in a shootout last season and that was the worst Haysi team since 2000. There no pushover but there not the Giles team weve come to expect

long as they run the ancient offense, you will get about the same results year in and year out...difference is how good the defense is...that's where they have taken a beating in recent years it seems.

Last year their defense seemed a little small in the front 7 and a little slow in the back 4; that definately made a huge difference. The offense does produce pretty predictable results(I mean that in the best of ways).

It seemed to me they werent nearly as talented as back in '05 and definately werent as big. They always reminded me of GC in that even in years when the talent wasnt great they were so strong and so big that they could just run over you. The offense would just punch out 4-5 yards a play and then break a long pass or a long run on that trap play, hard to stop.

Richlands is that way now, they want to spread it out and do alot of different things but when things get tough they are strong/ big enough to just pound it out

Edited by redtiger

Well, I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago but no one gave an answer.

Lots of posters here are quick to cite "all the politics in Tazewell" but when I asked for specifics no one provided any.

Is it a case of the principal, or the AD (or anyone else) putting pressure on the coaches to give in to parents? Or have the coaches over the years (Hart, Wyatt, Smith) not had the personality to tell the parents to butt out? Is it something else?

Again, you have the fans putting their two cents worth in most everywhere. What makes the situation so bad at Tazewell???

Well, I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago but no one gave an answer.

Lots of posters here are quick to cite "all the politics in Tazewell" but when I asked for specifics no one provided any.

Is it a case of the principal, or the AD (or anyone else) putting pressure on the coaches to give in to parents? Or have the coaches over the years (Hart, Wyatt, Smith) not had the personality to tell the parents to butt out? Is it something else?

Again, you have the fans putting their two cents worth in most everywhere. What makes the situation so bad at Tazewell???

You don't read very well if you have to ask again...

The answer to your questions...yes and all of the above...

You don't read very well if you have to ask again...

The answer to your questions...yes and all of the above...

I can read just fine. The only "answers" I saw were generic "well, they let the parents run everything", or "only the kids from families with money play"--and IIRC they all came from people outside of Tazewell, and to be honest just sound like a bunch of assumptions.

I have no doubt that parent interference DOES go on at Tazewell...but it goes on at MANY schools. All I'm asking is if any of the coaches over the years TRIED to correct it and didn't get support from the administration?

A specific answer might be, "There were kids who had no business playing, but their parents were big boosters and told Wyatt if they didn't play those parents would withhold financial support. Wyatt tried to stand up to them but the administration sided with the parents, which was the main reason Wyatt resigned". (No idea whether something like this happened, just giving an example).

Or, a prominent political figure's kid is riding the bench and the principal said to the coach he had to play him or he'd make sure the coach wouldn't be back next year.

Or, five players broke a rule, the coach wanted to suspend them but someone higher up intervened.

How about, coach wanted to have mandatory off season conditioning or 7-on-7 and too many parents B&M'd so the coach caved and made it optional.

I used to hear this same stuff about Tazewell when I went there in the late 80s--but only when they started losing. Somehow, it never seemed to be much of a problem during the 86 state title year.

well now the problem is you have a new coach every year...or every few years. A lot of what goes on is specific info that you just don't call people out on for obvious reasons beyond saying what is said here already. Like Gman said, everything you need to know has already been discussed here at great length...the problems are well noted...if you want someone to sit here and go point by point with you and spell it out for you, i doubt anyone will do so...if you want to hear it first hand, just go sit in the stands on Friday night, you'll get your ears full of it. It is worse when you are not winning...I think that is pretty obvious? People want to win, but they want to say how its done and who will play...you have constant bitching and moaning going on about SOMETHING...it gets to the point where a coach can't do what he wants to do with the program, can't get any support for what direction he wants to take the program in because certain people aren't happy with who the assistant coaches are or who he is putting on the field at what position or whatever...it just goes on and on and on...you have people talking pure trash at the games because they don't like the offense or the defense and they think their kid should be playing instead of some other kid, or they think their kid should be QB instead of WR...that sort of thing goes on everywhere else, but it's just a whole other level at Tazewell.

Also...just because people don't live in Tazewell doesn't mean they don't know whats going on there...these coaches have been at other schools and people know them...the assistants know whats going on and many of them are on here and have friends all over the place...people hear the dirt, but can't always be specific as to what it is for obvious reasons...I think I posted on here that Smith was out before most of the people in Tazewell knew it...how do you think that happened....and i'm in Abingdon.

It is what it is...and what has been said here is the truth about the situation there....like it or not...it's the truth...and it might not be something that you can have drawn out in a picture and put in a powerpoint presentation with all the details and names and phone numbers in it...but, it is what it is....take it or leave it or turn a blind eye to it and call it BS if you want...it won't change a thing.

well now the problem is you have a new coach every year...or every few years. A lot of what goes on is specific info that you just don't call people out on for obvious reasons beyond saying what is said here already. Like Gman said, everything you need to know has already been discussed here at great length...the problems are well noted...if you want someone to sit here and go point by point with you and spell it out for you, i doubt anyone will do so...if you want to hear it first hand, just go sit in the stands on Friday night, you'll get your ears full of it. It is worse when you are not winning...I think that is pretty obvious? People want to win, but they want to say how its done and who will play...you have constant bitching and moaning going on about SOMETHING...it gets to the point where a coach can't do what he wants to do with the program, can't get any support for what direction he wants to take the program in because certain people aren't happy with who the assistant coaches are or who he is putting on the field at what position or whatever...it just goes on and on and on...you have people talking pure trash at the games because they don't like the offense or the defense and they think their kid should be playing instead of some other kid, or they think their kid should be QB instead of WR...that sort of thing goes on everywhere else, but it's just a whole other level at Tazewell.

Also...just because people don't live in Tazewell doesn't mean they don't know whats going on there...these coaches have been at other schools and people know them...the assistants know whats going on and many of them are on here and have friends all over the place...people hear the dirt, but can't always be specific as to what it is for obvious reasons...I think I posted on here that Smith was out before most of the people in Tazewell knew it...how do you think that happened....and i'm in Abingdon.

It is what it is...and what has been said here is the truth about the situation there....like it or not...it's the truth...and it might not be something that you can have drawn out in a picture and put in a powerpoint presentation with all the details and names and phone numbers in it...but, it is what it is....take it or leave it or turn a blind eye to it and call it BS if you want...it won't change a thing.

I will sum up a few quick points. With Harris Hart he was a good coach but a lot of pressure was pu on him to play certain players from families with money. He got tired of it and went to Bland and has been doing as well as can be expected. Wyatt didn't listen to what people thought. That can be good but also bad as well as he mishandled a few situations that made other people mad at him as well. He got tired of everybody coming down on him and called it quits. Smith didn't have a chance to make any kind of impact. I respect him for wanting to take care of his health and family, it's just sad that he didn't decide it sooner so we could have a better chance to find a coach and get things moving sooner.

As bad as I hate to agree with others you can hear it in the stands about what should be done. Some of it I agree with and others are just wanting their kid in it. I have no dog in the race as far as the players go but I am still loyal to the Dawgs win or lose. Sure we can all be bleacher coaches but some people take it to extreme. Tazewell, in everything is run by certain families that think they can run whatever they want and say what goes.

My opinion is that it is blown out of proportion what everybody says, but there is truth to it. Just not quite as bad as they say.