Texas A&M possibly to sec....vt/wvu

wvuraiders

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around 2000 VTs requirements have started increasing quite a bit. Mainly because after the national championship game appearance, applications soared. I had a friend working there at the time and I think they had around 300% more applications beginning in 2001 than what they had had in any year of the 90s. Demand factored into their ability to raise requirements.

The previous poster is probably basing his assumptions on very old data. Tech's admission process has actually become progressively more competitive for the past dozen years or so. And the university's academic status is also greatly enhanced of late. According to US News & World Report rankings (for what they're worth), Virginia Tech is currently ranked 69th among all national universities. That is higher than every current SEC school except Vanderbilt, Florida, and Georgia.

There does seem to be a rather large discrepancy between the SEC and ACC in terms of academic reputation. 10 ACC schools rank in the top 100 (Virginia Tech is actually the lowest among those), while only 5 SEC schools make the list.

You can thank Mike Vick and the 1999 Virginia Tech Hokies. ;)

I'm only half-kidding. The significant rise in VT's academic standards mirrors the rise in VT football to an almost unsettling degree.

You can thank Mike Vick and the 1999 Virginia Tech Hokies. ;)

I'm only half-kidding. The significant rise in VT's academic standards mirrors the rise in VT football to an almost unsettling degree.

You are correct. Certainly ironic in many ways....

The significant rise in VT's academic standards mirrors the rise in VT football to an almost unsettling degree.

Fortunately for UVA, their academic standards/football program are polar opposites...:D

You are correct. Certainly ironic in many ways....

Ironic, but not a bad thing. Might not be the reason that you want to see your school succeed academically, but as long as you're succeeding, how you get there is just a minor detail when you get to the brass tacks.

Fortunately for UVA, their academic standards/football program are polar opposites...:D

Hardy har har. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

This probably is a load of bull but I thought I would share. A booster from Tallahassee Florida told me about a month ago that Clemson added women's golf this year to begin play in 2013 for the sole purpose of preparing to enter the SEC. He said women's golf was a requirement for SEC consideration and the only sport that was required that Clemson did not already offer.

Take it for what it's worth.

This probably is a load of bull but I thought I would share. A booster from Tallahassee Florida told me about a month ago that Clemson added women's golf this year to begin play in 2013 for the sole purpose of preparing to enter the SEC. He said women's golf was a requirement for SEC consideration and the only sport that was required that Clemson did not already offer.

Take it for what it's worth.

I'm not sure that I'd give it much weight. FSU too has had its name thrown around, and this just seems like one of those "we're ready but they're not so we're better" kind of ramblings. But who knows.

The rumors are just rumors right now, but there is some interest by A&M. Slive is being mum on the subject right now, but it's a possibility. I have heard fans talk about FSU coming to the SEC, but I haven't seen anything from FSU or any media sources. I think FSU would be a natural fit for the SEC, but Texas A&M presents travel problems for some of the SEC teams. I have a personal opinion on this. I have this thing about schools in the SEC actually being in the geographical area of the Southeast United States. If you're going to remain the SEC, then teams outside of the southeast don't fit.

If the SEC is interested in doing this, it is to increase the recruiting base to include Texas. I personally think the SEC can recruit nationwide now because of its success, and I just don't think it's necessary.

On the other hand, you could begin to create a "Super Conference" by including teams like Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri...all teams from the Big 12, but it should no longer be called the Southeastern Conference if this happens. Put FSU in that mix and you have a 16 team league. I personally hate the idea, and I wish the SEC would just leave the SEC alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My question is ...if Texas AM comes to SEC ... you will have lots of travel costs. Example...lady volleyball travels from Florida to Texas....

My question is ...if Texas AM comes to SEC ... you will have lots of travel costs. Example...lady volleyball travels from Florida to Texas....

Gainesville to College Station, TX is about 50 miles closer than Gainesville to Fayetteville, AR...just sayin'...

Wave316: My question is ...if Texas AM comes to SEC ... you will have lots of travel costs. Example...lady volleyball travels from Florida to Texas....

Gainesville to College Station, TX is about 50 miles closer than Gainesville to Fayetteville, AR...just sayin'...

I'm thinking travel is more of an issue with the fans than it would be with the schools.