Rivalries that used to be worth watching...

cityofRaven

I was just thinking about how some local "rivalries" that used to have some luster to them. On the Richlands end, I remember Lee always being a big game along with the Grundy games in the 90's. Anyone else?

Lee High upset us on the last regular season game in 94'. We played them again the very next week in the Playoffs and we scored 66 and blew them out. Steve Dye played QB that year and threw alot of TD's. RIP Steve Dye.

Lee High upset us on the last regular season game in 94'. We played them again the very next week in the Playoffs and we scored 66 and blew them out. Steve Dye played QB that year and threw alot of TD's. RIP Steve Dye.

Both those games were instant classics. I think Dye threw for almost 500 yards that regular season game and the final was something like 46-45. Playoff game, Richlands came out in those silver jerseys and Mccomins (sp) ran for about 250. That team should have been state team number 2.

I was just thinking about how some local "rivalries" that used to have some luster to them.

Beaver Graham used to be a good one! :D

Here come the wolves...3...2...1...

In all seriousness though, it will pick back up eventually I'm sure of it.

I miss the GC vs. Graham days. Always seemed to be for the Region Championship. Also Gate City vs. Appy, GC vs. Powell Valley but something tells me the GC vs. Union games will be some good ones to come. Gc vs. VHS used to be very good. Also up untill 1970 the Gate City vs. Dobynns Bennett games were pretty good. GC vs. Sullivan North was very good 80s and 90s. Have often heard about GC vs Ketron I think is the name. Like with North they would go so far as to set each others fields on fire. GC vs. Tazewell was pretty good in the 90s. I know there are others but drawing a blank.

Both those games were instant classics. I think Dye threw for almost 500 yards that regular season game and the final was something like 46-45. Playoff game, Richlands came out in those silver jerseys and Mccomins (sp) ran for about 250. That team should have been state team number 2.

^^^^^YES^^^^^^ THe score on the first game was 48-45

I agree with you referencing the former Graham and Gate City days. I remember the slugfest at Gate City in '95. Graham held on for the win and the following two weeks the G-Men went on to upset the #2 (William Campbell 7-6) and #1 (King George 23-16) ranked teams for an unexpected state championship. The great thing was the old Graham-Gate City matches lingered on the mutual respect the two teams and schools had for each other. If we (Graham) did not win it, we wanted them (GC) to win it! I still remember the crowds that would roll into Mitchell Stadium and Legion Field hours before the game started.

Are there any old Narrows fans on here that can share in the Green Wave hey day? I traveled to Gate City one year to watch the battle between the Wave and the Devils! Gate City won that particular year but I remember EVERYONE from the town of Narrows making the long trip down to GC. It seemed as if no one was left in town (Narrows) the day of that game.

I agree with you referencing the former Graham and Gate City days. I remember the slugfest at Gate City in '95. Graham held on for the win and the following two weeks the G-Men went on to upset the #2 (William Campbell 7-6) and #1 (King George 23-16) ranked teams for an unexpected state championship. The great thing was the old Graham-Gate City matches lingered on the mutual respect the two teams and schools had for each other. If we (Graham) did not win it, we wanted them (GC) to win it! I still remember the crowds that would roll into Mitchell Stadium and Legion Field hours before the game started.

I think we have mutual respect for a lot of our opponents today. If we can't make it we will pack up and head to wherever the games are taking place and pull for the team best representing our area. Best part about SWVA football..all the great games and mutual respects we all have for each other. I really hope one day soon Graham can get their program back on track.

I think we have mutual respect for a lot of our opponents today. If we can't make it we will pack up and head to wherever the games are taking place and pull for the team best representing our area. Best part about SWVA football..all the great games and mutual respects we all have for each other. I really hope one day soon Graham can get their program back on track.

Aman.....and well said !!!

Who wore 6 for Richlands in 94? He played in the backfield and linebacker. I cant remember if he was the rinning back or the quarterback. All i do remember is he coud run Thomas Jones down, and he did just that on two big runs that thomas broke. Richlands won that game 34 to 13 and number 6 was the main reason why. He was the fastest white guy I have ever seen

Who wore 6 for Richlands in 94? He played in the backfield and linebacker. I cant remember if he was the rinning back or the quarterback. All i do remember is he coud run Thomas Jones down, and he did just that on two big runs that thomas broke. Richlands won that game 34 to 13 and number 6 was the main reason why. He was the fastest white guy I have ever seen

#6 was Steve Dye. IMO the best QB to ever play at Richlands. He was an athlete.

I got to see him that one game that i remember and he was one heck of an athelet. Fast young man i have ever seen. He ran Thomas jones down two times on big runs, which is more than most people can say they did. Plus he busted PV's d wide open on offence. He was fun to watch

I got to see him that one game that i remember and he was one heck of an athelet. Fast young man i have ever seen. He ran Thomas jones down two times on big runs, which is more than most people can say they did. Plus he busted PV's d wide open on offence. He was fun to watch

I remember one big matchup in the PV/Richlands game in the mid-90's was Jermey McCommons vs. Jones. Both studs.