The Future

southbound

Many of you have taken jabs at Abingdon this week and cracked jokes.:mad: Enjoy your laughter while it lasts because it will vanish and be nothing but a memory. Why? The Future! Little has been noted on here but trust me our town has noticed how our middle school team is rolling. Latest victim: Richlands. The Falcons beat them 45-0. :D:p My buddy has a brother playing on the team and he said the coaches had to pull kids early so it wasn't 60-0. :eek: Dad was right when he said "Son, let them enjoy their cake now because they will be nothing but fat arses in the future:rolleyes: we will look like greek gods!":) Falconman you know our future is bright!:) Go Falcons!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of you have taken jabs at Abingdon this week and cracked jokes.:mad: Enjoy your laughter while it lasts because it will vanish and be nothing but a memory. Why? The Future! Little has been noted on here but trust me our town has noticed how our middle school team is rolling. Latest victim: Richlands. The Falcons beat them 45-0. :D:p My buddy has a brother playing on the team and he said the coaches had to pull kids early so it wasn't 60-0. :eek: Dad was right when he said "Son, let them enjoy their cake now because they will be nothing but fat arses in the future:rolleyes: we will look like greek gods!":) Falconman you know our future is bright!:) Go Falcons!

Too bad a lot of successfull Middle School teams dont make the Varsity teams successfull. Sometimes it does but not always.

Guest The Variable
Latest victim: Richlands. The Falcons beat them 45-0.

"Thats nice sonny, but this heres the fleet."

I've heard the same about the quality of athletes coming up in Abingdon. I'm a Blue Tornado fan, but the reign can't last forever. Last year's 8th grade team was 0 for ever how many they played...so the balance of power may be shifting very soon.

In all honesty, I would love to see abingdon do good. youth programs do build better varsity programs but here is some truthful facts about 8 grade ball. Malcome Pinkston rushed for 400 + yards against gate city's 8th grade club (which was unheard of at that time) and averaged 200 yards a game as a true 8th grader. well come to findout he had just matured a little faster than others because he was some garbage in high school.

The 8th grade team i played on at pv went undefeated but only roughly half of those young men stayed on in varsity ( girls became more important that football). Im glad to hear that Abingdon has a good 8th grade team but that donsent all the time make for good varisty ball

When last years Seniors were Freshmen Haysi's JV team spanked Clintwood's JV by about 35 points! Three years later it was the exact opposite. It all depends on if those kids continue to play and how they develop, as well as some early development

Just take a look at Battle's feeder schools and their records. The county teams have been pretty dominant over the years compared to the Bristol city teams and Battle's 8th grade team goes undefeated or near it every year. And the JV team was really good last year (haven't seen them play this year), but then look at the varsity team's past record. Having good youth teams doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a good Varsity team.

I will preface this comment by saying I have seen Abingdon's 8th grade team play twice, and was impressed with their talent and skills for a middle school team. They really have talent and speed at the skill positions and their running back #26 did an outstanding job in the games I saw.

I was at the Abingdon/Richlands 8th grade game last night and I will have to disagree, the starters for Abingdon weren't pulled early. #7, 6, 26, 44 and 79 were playing late in the 4th qtr. #26, the running back, along with some of the others listed above, were playing on defense and scored Abingdon's final TD on a turnover, with just a minute or less to go in the game.

I was really disappointed that the Abingdon coaching staff left their starters in with the game decided so early. I do believe that there was a new QB, #3, for the Falcons toward the end of the 3rd and the 4th qtrs and there may have been some reserves on the line, but the starters in the skilled positions were not taken out.

In the other Abingdon 8th grade game I saw, which the little Falcons were winning handily, the reserves were put in for the 4th qtr, not so last night.

Abingdon coaching staff proved a point last night, they have a good team and hopefully the boys will continue to build on that. As for sportmanship, they came up much shorter than the score that was reflected on the scoreboard.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I did notice that Southbound forgot to mention what happened when the jv teams met, and Abingdon lost 32-0, a lot of what these kids do in high school also comes down to coaching in my opinion, and you wont find a better coaching staff in swva that Richlands has, that is why they continue to be better at the high school level.( and the weight room doesn't hurt either)

I did notice that Southbound forgot to mention what happened when the jv teams met, and Abingdon lost 32-0, a lot of what these kids do in high school also comes down to coaching in my opinion, and you wont find a better coaching staff in swva that Richlands has, that is why they continue to be better at the high school level.( and the weight room doesn't hurt either)

Took the words right out of my mouth.

But, high school programs do go through peaks & valleys and the Blues have been on a peak for quite some time now, but there will come a time when we will probably hit a valley.

Talent comes & goes in high school but a good coaching staff can prolong an up cycle.

Richlands coaching staff will keep the blues at or near the top for as long as any coaching staff possibly could, but the down time will come some time in the future. But you can bet that if Mance & his staff are still here when that happens my money will be on them to not let it stay down very long or the down time will not be as down as some have been.

I don't want to say anything negative about the Abingdon team because the kids on that team don't deserve that just because a couple of clowns get on here and run their mouth.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Haven't really kept up with it hardcore... but i do know in the last 10 yrs or so Honaker's JV and 8th grade teams have been very competitive with Richlands and when those players have reached the varsity level Richlands is stronger, faster, and smarter on the field (the score for a while now proves that). I attribute this to the desire of the boys (or girl..just to be politically correct) that the Richlands coaches, etc put into those players. I know they have approx 40-50 guys in the weightroom in the off season and Honaker averages idk 10 or so (give or take a few) ... that really says alot right there about the desire to want to be a great football team and not just a good football team. So now after the ramble here's the point... JV and 8th grade team scores don't mean all that much IMO, it's what they learn from those games that makes them better in long run and also I think it gives those boys get confidence and that's a good thing to take from it!!! But congrats to the Abingdon JV, take the W's where ya can get em!!!!

When last years Seniors were Freshmen Haysi's JV team spanked Clintwood's JV by about 35 points! Three years later it was the exact opposite. It all depends on if those kids continue to play and how they develop, as well as some early development

Yeah but Haysi's notorious for the Birchleaf bears in JV and Middle School..... when they drive to those 8th grade games that was the first sign things weren't what they should have been.

Haven't really kept up with it hardcore... but i do know in the last 10 yrs or so Honaker's JV and 8th grade teams have been very competitive with Richlands and when those players have reached the varsity level Richlands is stronger, faster, and smarter on the field (the score for a while now proves that). I attribute this to the desire of the boys (or girl..just to be politically correct) that the Richlands coaches, etc put into those players. I know they have approx 40-50 guys in the weightroom in the off season and Honaker averages idk 10 or so (give or take a few) ... that really says alot right there about the desire to want to be a great football team and not just a good football team. So now after the ramble here's the point... JV and 8th grade team scores don't mean all that much IMO, it's what they learn from those games that makes them better in long run and also I think it gives those boys get confidence and that's a good thing to take from it!!! But congrats to the Abingdon JV, take the W's where ya can get em!!!!

Sorry to repost but I hate to state the obvious but most of Richlands great athletes and players don't come up through the Richlands feeder systems.... Johnson's etc.....

Sorry to repost but I hate to state the obvious but most of Richlands great athletes and players don't come up through the Richlands feeder systems.... Johnson's etc.....

Other than the Johnsons and Cody Lockhart, what players are you talking about? Caleb Jennings, Justin McCrackin, Austin Fuller, Bradley Strong, Will Lowe, Cody Thomas??????

Edited by parsons

Other than the Johnsons and Cody Lockhart, what players are you talking about? Caleb Jennings, Justin McCrackin, Austin Fuller, Bradley Strong, Will Lowe, Cody Thomas??????

Few more names to that list of home-grown Blues--Rob Stanton, C. J. Arms, Romy Fajardo, Drew Presnell, Ben Addison, Brandon Smith, Shane Wicks, Matt Davis, Derek McKnight, Sean Mullins, Justin Williams, Brett Clayburne, Brad Lester, D.J. Simmons, Brandon Breeding, Stevie Dye, Bradley Salyers and there are more--

Cody Lockhart and the Johnsons' are and were a great asset to the Blues program and I am glad they made the transition to be a part of Richlands football, BUT the football program at Richlands was a strong, consistent contender before their arrival and I'm pretty sure it won't end with graduation. With the coaching staff Richlands has there shouldn't be any spiraling downward trend to be "cellar dwellers."

I think the strength of the Richlands program, is the coaches taking the players they have and maximizing their skills and talent at the right position.

Life has many choices---eternity two

A successful Little Leage program is vital to Varsity programs producing quality players in the future. At the lower levels players learn fundamentals, techniques, as well as the values of playing as a team together. Once they reach Middle School and varsity, a good foundation is already established to build on. The varsity coaches who spend countless hours in further developing players and building a culture of hard work are the final ingredients in developing a successful, consistent program. That being said, there are a lot of variables that can affect the results, but overall the formula remains the same and can "control" the variation of talent cycles. As many posters have conveyed, success in one level does not always translate to success at the next.

These are:

1. Maturity--Players develop at different stages in their life and can make a marked difference in little league, middle school, and jv. The effects tend to level out at the varsity level.

2: Holdbacks--To build on #1, there tends to be a big difference in redshirt 8th, 9th, and 10th graders, than upperclass counterparts. Especially if there is a culture in place that encourages holding back for sports. The advantage is often evident, but lesser at later stages. An eighth grade team with multiple holdbacks will usually dominate.

3. Numbers--Many communities have combined little leagues. For example, Richlands includes both Honaker (2 teams) and Twin Valley (1 team). If teams from Twin Valley or Honaker are greater in little league, the sum at later stages is not often greater than the sum of the overall talent of 4 Richlands teams combined.

Also, the vast majority of Richlands' talent was developed in the Midget League Program.

Guess what daddy was wrong about chilhowie and so was stripes!!!!!! go WARRIORS

First of all, I demand an apology for your name it offends me.:mad::( The Falcons have still yet to be physically pushed around and you know that from experience.:cool: So stay off my threads son:eek: Dad always said there would be guys/girls like you:p:)

Yeah but Haysi's notorious for the Birchleaf bears in JV and Middle School..... when they drive to those 8th grade games that was the first sign things weren't what they should have been.

Maybe im too dim to clearly understand what you are trying to say? But if youre saying that Haysi plays older kids on JV then I call BS. Since I have been around the Haysi program(about 12 years) I have seen 2 Sophmores on the JV team and they only got on the field when the JV team was up by 40.

And Haysi doesent have a JV team, they may play an 8th grade game or 2 but its 8th graders and some 7th. Some years ago that was the case, Haysi's 7-8th grade team went over to Hurley to play an 8th grade game and had the pleasure of playing Hurleys JV team

Edited by redtiger

Maybe im too dim to clearly understand what you are trying to say? But if youre saying that Haysi plays older kids on JV then I call BS. Since I have been around the Haysi program(about 12 years) I have seen 2 Sophmores on the JV team and they only got on the field when the JV team was up by 40.

Sophomores aren't on JV at Haysi?

Sophomores aren't on JV at Haysi?

No sir. JV is 8-9, Varsity is the really good 9th players and 10-12. Haysi will generally let the 9th graders dress if they want to but they generally dont get in the game(even in mop up duty)

Edited by redtiger