Cuse and Pitt to ACC?

Ryan4VT

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did I tell you about the Louisville-Kentucky game yesterday...:D

Gah, I know... I knew UK was bad but not that bad! :eek:

That's not the only game I lost though, so I could sleep at night. UVA +11 was a push so I lost that one too.

Look at the last page, where I talked about it. ;)

Ah, I missed that! Good to know that I'm not the only one who sees it. I gave my benefits to the SEC by a Louisville acquisition in a thread a couple weeks ago and they all basically hold true to the ACC except my point about the UofL-UK established conference rivalry.

Ah, I missed that! Good to know that I'm not the only one who sees it. I gave my benefits to the SEC by a Louisville acquisition in a thread a couple weeks ago and they all basically hold true to the ACC except my point about the UofL-UK established conference rivalry.

It's not a bad match, really. I just wonder if Louisville's going to get left out in the cold if UConn joins. That'd leave room for one more, and I just don't have Louisville ranked that highly.

It's not a bad match, really. I just wonder if Louisville's going to get left out in the cold if UConn joins. That'd leave room for one more, and I just don't have Louisville ranked that highly.

It's possible. On the surface, I almost see two distinct fundamental differences between the ACC and the SEC: playing to their strengths.

ACC = basketball

SEC = football

In my opinion, Louisville would be better suited for the ACC but it's hard to tell.

Based on what we saw yesterday, I am of the opinion that the ACC will hold it's bullets for a while. The $20 million buyout to leave the conference should keep anyone from raiding them. Core principals seem to be driving the ACC, so academics will play a factor in any new members.

I also suspect that the history of all member schools being equal partners will keep the divas (Texas & Notre Dame) from being considered. The differing treatment the Big East has shown towards some members, i.e we let Notre Dame in for all sports but football, but we deny full membership to other schools i.e. VT not being allow to compete in anything but football for years. It is that history of unequal treatment that will end up being the death knell of the Big East.

Edited by Hacker

As I understand it, Big 12 and ACC are the only conferences that don't share all athletic revenue. That is attractive to Texas based on the $300 million Longhorn Network contract it has with ESPN. Texas does not want to share that revenue with anyone. UCONN would be the other "perfect fit" for ACC to get to 16 teams. I think Rutgers and WVU would be added only after exhausting possibilities for Texas, Notre Dame or UCONN.

Incorrect. Everyone in the ACC gets an equal revenue share...one of the big selling points for VT's move to the ACC...other than always wanting to be in the ACC.

The Big East does not share revenue equally...

I am not incorrect! Maybe didn't take the time to fully explain my point so read...

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/09/14/texas-to-the-acc-is-it-so-crazy/

The ACC has tierd revenue. No third tier revenue is shared with any other member of the conference therefore all television revenue would remain in Texas control.

It's pretty true. Let's just say, there are about 4-5 schools higher on the pecking order that are better fits scholastically and athletically. WVU would rank right along NCSU in the bottom in terms of academia, and athletically, WVU adds little else besides football and basketball (notably: no lacrosse and very poor baseball). Personally, I'd love to see Navy and Texas join. In order of preference after that, Notre Dame, Louisville, then WVU.

I love the Navy idea for the ACC. Anyone think it could actually happen?

I love the Navy idea for the ACC. Anyone think it could actually happen?

No. Already got Maryland in the area, don't bring in any new market, or money. Also, not very strong in most sports. Just more teams above them in pecking order.

I personally really would like to see WVU in the ACC.

WVU fits geographically and bringing them to the ACC would keep rivalries intact(keeps the backyard Brawl and renews the Black Diamond Trophy game)

ACC could still get Syracuse, Pitt and either UConn or Rutgers to expand northward.

I miss VT vs WV. I like Pitt and Syracuse and I really dont think it matters if the ACC goes after UConn or Rutgers, I would prefer UConn because neither bring a very much in Football(although both are up and comming) but UConn brings alot in Basketball. At the same time if you bring in Syracuse and Rutgers the ACC would have a nice foothold in the NYC market and that means $$$.

On a side note I think when the ACC raided the Big East the 1st time they envisioned this further expansion(imo thats why they didnt do North/South divisions, so when they add more North teams they dont have to shift schools around to keep it N/S. I really didnt think they would leave BC up there by themselves for too long.

On another side note, what does TCU do now? Do they still move to the Big East(dumb in the 1st place) or do they try to get into the BIG XII(or whats left of it)?

Edited by redtiger

That's not what I'm hearing from folks in Hokieville.....

They only tell you what they want you to hear...

You can color a pig red, white, and blue and put stars on him and call him a flag, but the truth is, its still a pig...

They only tell you what they want you to hear...

You can color a pig red, white, and blue and put stars on him and call him a flag, but the truth is, its still a pig...

How is Cincy on academics?

Average football, above average basketball. New market.

So if the big east/big 12 lose most of their teams, that only leaves the ACC, Big 10, Pac12, & SEC as the leagues that deserve automatic BCS bids, imo.

Will these "super conferences" kind of push the BCS into a playoff system?

So if the big east/big 12 lose most of their teams, that only leaves the ACC, Big 10, Pac12, & SEC as the leagues that deserve automatic BCS bids, imo.

Will these "super conferences" kind of push the BCS into a playoff system?

I feel like that's the overall point. At least, in part.

How is Cincy on academics?

Average football, above average basketball. New market.

Cincinnati is at #143. I don't believe the ACC is looking at any schools outside the top 100 unless they have too.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp+50

WVU checks in at # 164 on this list tied with Louisville.

VT is # 71. FSU & NCST are tied at # 101 for the lowest of the ACC member institutions.

Surprising, outside of Vandy at # 17, Florida is in there at # 58 and Georgia is @ # 62. Alabama is # 75 & Auburn # 82 respectively.

Several Big Ten schools in the top 50 as expected.

All this expansion just to get more $$$ doesn't sit well with me. They just spit all over the history/tradition of the ACC by adding these teams. Might as well just merge the whole conference with the Big East and be done with it.