best way to go to Mt View from Bluefield?

Lance

I did a google maps directions search and its taking me on the scenic route of beautiful WV, and I'm thinking there must be a better way lol.

You guys up in Beaver land have the info on the best way to get there from Abingdon? I figure I will just go through Claypool Hill and Tazewell then to Bluefield and go that way....so...? Any help?

Also...how's the field and lights up there?

I did a google maps directions search and its taking me on the scenic route of beautiful WV, and I'm thinking there must be a better way lol.

You guys up in Beaver land have the info on the best way to get there from Abingdon? I figure I will just go through Claypool Hill and Tazewell then to Bluefield and go that way....so...? Any help?

Also...how's the field and lights up there?

If by "scenic route" you mean a straight shot down Route 52, then Google Maps is correct. I'm no human atlas but I know that is basically about the only logistical way to get there from Bluefield. The other way, I believe, is to go all the way up to Beckley and backtrack, but again I'm not sure. If that way was any good, I'd probably hear of more people taking it. If Obama would give Southern WV a little bit more money they might be able to finish the "Road to Nowhere" that they started years ago (i.e. the King Coal Highway that is supposed to be a straight shot to McDowell County). ;)

I can't give you any expert analysis as to how the field and/or lighting is because I have never been to a game there. I can count the number of times I've been to McDowell County on one hand; MVHS and it sits atop a hill so you can't really see it from the road.

uhm...no...Google sent me this way:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=abingdon+va&daddr=950+Mount+View+Road,+Welch,+WV+24801+(Mount+View+High+School)&hl=en&sll=37.404444,-81.542916&sspn=0.011506,0.022724&geocode=FcklMAId_B8d-yndwv1yFhNQiDE-xKvVHigKgQ%3BFRy_OgId_MAj-yEX4nrNrknu_g&vpsrc=0&gl=us&mra=ls&t=h&ie=UTF8&ll=37.05723,-81.80656&spn=0.69758,0.67922&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=abingdon+va&daddr=950+Mount+View+Road,+Welch,+WV+24801+(Mount+View+High+School)&hl=en&sll=37.404444,-81.542916&sspn=0.011506,0.022724&geocode=FcklMAId_B8d-yndwv1yFhNQiDE-xKvVHigKgQ%3BFRy_OgId_MAj-yEX4nrNrknu_g&vpsrc=0&gl=us&mra=ls&t=h&ie=UTF8&ll=37.05723,-81.80656&spn=0.69758,0.67922&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

which is why I'm asking lol.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=abingdon+va&daddr=950+Mount+View+Road,+Welch,+WV+24801+(Mount+View+High+School)&hl=en&sll=37.404444,-81.542916&sspn=0.011506,0.022724&geocode=FcklMAId_B8d-yndwv1yFhNQiDE-xKvVHigKgQ%3BFRy_OgId_MAj-yEX4nrNrknu_g&vpsrc=0&gl=us&mra=ls&t=h&ie=UTF8&ll=37.05723,-81.80656&spn=0.69758,0.67922&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=abingdon+va&daddr=950+Mount+View+Road,+Welch,+WV+24801+(Mount+View+High+School)&hl=en&sll=37.404444,-81.542916&sspn=0.011506,0.022724&geocode=FcklMAId_B8d-yndwv1yFhNQiDE-xKvVHigKgQ%3BFRy_OgId_MAj-yEX4nrNrknu_g&vpsrc=0&gl=us&mra=ls&t=h&ie=UTF8&ll=37.05723,-81.80656&spn=0.69758,0.67922&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

LOL! Wow, never seen that before!

I changed the route to what I was talking about and it is 20 miles and 16 minutes longer than your original. As I hinted in my first post, I don't think there is really any "feasible" way to travel to Welch, haha.

LOL! Wow, never seen that before!

I changed the route to what I was talking about and it is 20 miles and 16 minutes longer than your original. As I hinted in my first post, I don't think there is really any "feasible" way to travel to Welch, haha.

yeah i'm not going that route google suggested LOL.

i was thinking 52 but thought i would ask here and see before i got myself in trouble lol.

I would actually tell you to go Route 16 from Tazewell to Welch. The field is right at the 16/52 junction down in a hole. The field isn't the best and the lights are probably comparible to those at The Cliff.

If by "scenic route" you mean a straight shot down Route 52, then Google Maps is correct. I'm no human atlas but I know that is basically about the only logistical way to get there from Bluefield. The other way, I believe, is to go all the way up to Beckley and backtrack, but again I'm not sure. If that way was any good, I'd probably hear of more people taking it. If Obama would give Southern WV a little bit more money they might be able to finish the "Road to Nowhere" that they started years ago (i.e. the King Coal Highway that is supposed to be a straight shot to McDowell County). ;)

I can't give you any expert analysis as to how the field and/or lighting is because I have never been to a game there. I can count the number of times I've been to McDowell County on one hand; MVHS and it sits atop a hill so you can't really see it from the road.

field is not at the highschool but on the other side of welch .

I would actually tell you to go Route 16 from Tazewell to Welch. The field is right at the 16/52 junction down in a hole. The field isn't the best and the lights are probably comparible to those at The Cliff.

neither route is great 52 has tons of curves and people passing you on a blind curve. and some areas big coal trucks running pretty fast.

My suggestions is to skip going to Welch...period...

Welch is only 33 miles from Bluefield but it will take you an hour to get there...if there aren't any accidents...

Get on Rt 16 in Tazewell. It will take you right to the field pretty much. When Rt 16 runs into Rt 52 the field will be down in a hole on your right. Just be careful because Rt16 is a very curvy road and the coal trucks dont always give you a lot of room. Parking can be a booger also. You may have to park on the side of Rt 52. Good luck!

Welch is only 33 miles from Bluefield but it will take you an hour to get there...if there aren't any accidents...

Seriously, take my advice...you will regret it if you don't...MV is the WORST place to go...worst drive, worst parking, worst seating, worst lighting, worst field, worst uniforms....

Honestly, this is probably the best advice in the thread... I didn't elaborate, but the only reason I've ever been to Welch is because I absolutely had to go (read: work).

You'll be a road sick dog by the time you get there. But if coming from Abingdon pick up 16 in Tazewell as mentioned and allow time for better than 40 miles of two lane road crossing several mountians.

(If you know how to travel thru Cedar Bluff, Bandy, Amonate its about 10 miles closer but roads very curvy.)

P.S. On your return home if you go back that way watch to not make the 83 cut unless you want to go to Grundy.

Edited by thundercloud

Helicopter......

True! And don't try to fly your single engine plane into Welch Municipal Airport...it closed several years back. Two idiots did not realize this back in February and crashed their plane where the airport used to be...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x62857994/Airplane-goes-down-near-Welch-Airport

True! And don't try to fly your single engine plane into Welch Municipal Airport...it closed several years back. Two idiots did not realize this back in February and crashed their plane where the airport used to be...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x62857994/Airplane-goes-down-near-Welch-Airport

wow...just....wow.

That Google recommendation is probably the best way. Made that trip several times with my dad growing up. 52 is a "better" road (but only by degrees), whereas 16 will save you significant time. And if the field is still in the same place (Junior Poca), 16 will take you right to it.

That Google recommendation is probably the best way. Made that trip several times with my dad growing up. 52 is a "better" road (but only by degrees), whereas 16 will save you significant time. And if the field is still in the same place (Junior Poca), 16 will take you right to it.

ok...so i will take the scenic route lol....now, those directions are to the HS, is the field not at the HS? Where the hell is it?????