Burton vs. Honaker

rebel1

Honaker almost screwed themselves!

Galax has been playing on friday nights havent they?

yeah...from what i gather they play on Friday.

Sounds like not much defense on either side today...wow...kinda expected a close game but not that much scoring.

From watching Galax last night, if missing the #22 kid doesn't kneecap them, they will be a hard team to beat...very good team...Honaker has a tall order next week.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tigers finally put together four quarters of football. They let Burton back in it early in the fourth, but stayed the course for the big win.

Jerod Honaker was the workhorse today, 290 or so yards rushing.

Edited by USAFTiger
added comment

The score is a little suprising but both teams are really good at doing what they do on Offense

yeah but i expected a little more defense, at least out of Honaker...they have one kid, #54 I think...pretty solid DE/LB or whatever ...wonder how many tackles he had today? I was impressed with him in the Grundy and Hurley games.

yeah...from what i gather they play on Friday.

Sounds like not much defense on either side today...wow...kinda expected a close game but not that much scoring.

From watching Galax last night, if missing the #22 kid doesn't kneecap them, they will be a hard team to beat...very good team...Honaker has a tall order next week.

Lance, I think the #22 kid will hurt Galax next week, he is a quality back. Although, Galax does seems to be deep in his position but there will be some drop off, no doubt. This should be a good game if Honaker can continue to run the ball. Need to keep that high octane Galax offense off the field ,and running the ball against them will give Honaker their best opportunity for the upset. If Galax does not bring their A game, Honaker could knock them off but I think Coach Dixon will have his bunch ready.

Burton's only been held to under 35 two other times this year, averaging close to 42 a game. Burton's D has given a good bit in some games this year. They gave up 34 to Lee and Graham had over 330 yards rushing in that one. Honaker with their big line and tough running game, figured the game would be another high scoring close one.

Edited by Beamerball

Lance, I think the #22 kid will hurt Galax next week, he is a quality back. Although, Galax does seems to be deep in his position but there will be some drop off, no doubt. This should be a good game if Honaker can continue to run the ball. Need to keep that high octane Galax offense off the field ,and running the ball against them will give Honaker their best opportunity for the upset. If Galax does not bring their A game, Honaker could knock them off but I think Coach Dixon will have his bunch ready.

should be a good game. I'll be at Richlands though lol. If it was a Friday/Saturday split for Richlands and Honaker I'd go watch both...but I'm not going to miss the Cave Spring rematch...that was my favorite non-Grundy game I watched last year and I've been hoping for a rematch all year...I think it will be a good one.

should be a good game. I'll be at Richlands though lol. If it was a Friday/Saturday split for Richlands and Honaker I'd go watch both...but I'm not going to miss the Cave Spring rematch...that was my favorite non-Grundy game I watched last year and I've been hoping for a rematch all year...I think it will be a good one.

Understand. Like to see Richlands have a good challenge. I will be trying to listento both games online. Is it Friday yet:)

J.I. Burton @ Honaker

Doug escaped what he would have thought was an embarrassment last week edging the Rebels late in the 4th quarter. The Rebels fought their way back into the light after giving up 19 points in the 1st quarter. Honaker is one of those teams that almost put you to sleep. Cousin Boheimer from Medium Rock WV said watching Honaker’s offense is about like watching to Heavy weight’s wrestle on the mat. Not much brainstorming or creativity going on at EMATS stadium. But, when you’re big and wear people down brainstorming isn’t necessary. As long as the outcome is a WIN…you have done your job. Orange will be everywhere, the LPD vs. the BDD. The Raiders from the City will be in full throttle for a battle with the Pride of Russell County. Everyone knows the history and tradition from both teams. Burton, speed, discipline, Championships. Honaker, ground game and Heath Miller. If Doug can keep the ball the Tigers will be purring Sunday. If Burton uses their speed and gets up a couple of Touchdowns the Tigers will be doing inventory Sunday. And Doug will be saying’ we didn’t FOCUS…duh huh

LLL – Honaker

leonard thats two weeks in a row.thats terrible.do even kno how to spell football?

still don't think Honaker is that great, but I thought they did play better this week against Hurley.

I will take Burton by 14+...speed kills, if Burton has any they should be fine.

lance you just missed it by 19 points.are you really leonard?be honest.

Was at the game today and enjoyed watching a good game !

Congrats to Honaker on a great win ! The D came through when they needed it most. JIB had a hard time stopping #5 Jared Honaker, and the Honaker O line did a fantastic job of blocking !

I wish that either Honaker or Richlands would play on Saturday and the other on Friday so I could see the Tigers play next week, but they both play on Friday...........I think............so if that is the case i will be watching my blues play Cave, but i will be pulling for you guys.

Now go get em next week Tigers !

congrats. honaker, for beatn those pesky raiders...............

Thx guys .... beans? They good fo yo heart!!!

Hey cwood ... was listenin to ur game on radio and when they announced the burton score sounded like ur crowd liked it alot!!!!?

lance you just missed it by 19 points.are you really leonard?be honest.

no, i'm not Leonard...honest.

I am surprised that Honaker won this type of game though...I didn't expect it to be so high scoring on both sides...I knew Burton could put up some points but I didn't expect Honaker to be able to beat them in a shoot out. Nice job to the Tigers, you guys earned it..I was wrong on that one for sure.

Watched Galax last night vs. Castlewood, you guys have your hands full next week...very talented team. Good luck.

Burton's struggled the most with teams like Honaker that are big up front and have good running games.....Clintwood, Union, Honaker, and Lee High fit in that well, and 3 of the 4 were losses, the other against Lee was a one point (35-34) win.

I am surprised that Honaker won this type of game though...I didn't expect it to be so high scoring on both sides...I knew Burton could put up some points but I didn't expect Honaker to be able to beat them in a shoot out. Nice job to the Tigers, you guys earned it..I was wrong on that one for sure.

Watched Galax last night vs. Castlewood, you guys have your hands full next week...very talented team. Good luck.

Lance ..what will be the things Honaker must do to hang with Galax? The top 3 or 4 things in your opinion?

Very classy post Lance, takes a good man to admit when he is wrong. Thanks.

Lance ..what will be the things Honaker must do to hang with Galax? The top 3 or 4 things in your opinion?

(1) ball control, run game...get first downs and keep the clock moving and Galax off the field.

(2) turnovers - you can't give these guys anything.

(3) Field position - Castlewood seemed like they were inside their own 10 a lot last night and Galax was all over it when they were.

(4) take what they give you in passing, Castlewood was able to move the ball well over the middle...it was there all night.

(5) defense has to stop the run game, containment on the ends is a must...have to force them to stay between the tackles and hope your LB's can make some stops. Galax was able to get down on Castlewood's LB's and to get outside of the DE all night and it killed them...probably the biggest factor in the game I thought.

Also, Galax didn't look to punt...they are a 4 down team from what i saw...4th and 2 from anywhere near mid field and they are going for it without even thinking about it. That's something you have to think about on D for sure...changes the game a little.

(1) ball control, run game...get first downs and keep the clock moving and Galax off the field.

(2) turnovers - you can't give these guys anything.

(3) Field position - Castlewood seemed like they were inside their own 10 a lot last night and Galax was all over it when they were.

(4) take what they give you in passing, Castlewood was able to move the ball well over the middle...it was there all night.

(5) defense has to stop the run game, containment on the ends is a must...have to force them to stay between the tackles and hope your LB's can make some stops. Galax was able to get down on Castlewood's LB's and to get outside of the DE all night and it killed them...probably the biggest factor in the game I thought.

Also, Galax didn't look to punt...they are a 4 down team from what i saw...4th and 2 from anywhere near mid field and they are going for it without even thinking about it. That's something you have to think about on D for sure...changes the game a little.

Sounds like Grayson Co gave Galax it's closest game this yr. Galax won 21-6 ..And someone said Galax burnt Grayson on a couple long passes ...so Grayson must have done something right to hold Galax to 21 points.. Could Honaker profit by doing something similar like Grayson.. Honaker will have to play their best game ever and keep Galax off the field---like you said keep possession of the ball on long drives.