11-18 Score Updates

Ryan4VT

Blatant horsecollar. Is than not a penalty in high school??

National Federation rules are strange at best for this rule. Very different than the college or pro rule. Basically in a nutshell, the offensive player has to fall backward, the hand must be all the way inside the pad, the act of the hand in the pad and the fall backward have to be the act that brings the ball carrier to the ground and if another defensive player assists on the tackle in any way, it negates the horsecollar. This is the most misunderstood rule you will ever see on a Friday night. Followed closely by uncatchable/pass interference. There is no uncatchable rule in high school.

I hate that rule the way it is written for high school football.

First time ive ever seen a ref actually argue back and forth with the fans lol he claimed it was the sholder and not a horsecollar it was funny listening to him argue with the fans when he did not throw the flag. One thing i did get disgusted with the radio guy on the sidelines i think his name is LT he starts giving the ref down the road too LT leave the harassing the refs to the fans and do your job my man.

If he indeed did have the shoulder, it is not a horsecollar by the definition of the National Federation of State High School Associations. I hate the way it is written for high school.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he indeed did have the shoulder, it is not a horsecollar by the definition of the National Federation of State High School Associations. I hate the way it is written for high school.

It wasn't the shoulder. Nor the pad. He had both hands around the jersey at the back. And pretty much just fell to the ground, causing McGlothlan to fly backwards.

It wasn't the shoulder. Nor the pad. He had both hands around the jersey at the back. And pretty much just fell to the ground, causing McGlothlan to fly backwards.

Now see, to me that should be a horsecollar and would be in college or pro if he was pulled down backward by the jersey. Unfortunately, the way the high school rule is written, the hand must be in the pad, not just the jersey.

Now see, to me that should be a horsecollar and would be in college or pro if he was pulled down backward by the jersey. Unfortunately, the way the high school rule is written, the hand must be in the pad, not just the jersey.

Fair enough. I think it should be too. But it is what it is. Lol.

How did they score their final td?

TD run up the gut by Hunter Tolley on 3rd and 4. A first down would've iced it and Radford was using timeouts to try and get the ball back, but Tolley broke in the clear. Not sure how far out the run was. 30-ish?

I was working the concession stand and happened to be watching the TV when this play happened. Our camera guy had the camera zoomed in on this play, so I got a really good view of it. It was definitely a horse collar. He didn't have the shoulder, he grabbed inside the of the collar of his shoulder pads. It was a textbook horse collar, IMO. I was baffled that there wasn't a flag on the play.

I was working the concession stand and happened to be watching the TV when this play happened. Our camera guy had the camera zoomed in on this play, so I got a really good view of it. It was definitely a horse collar. He didn't have the shoulder, he grabbed inside the of the collar of his shoulder pads. It was a textbook horse collar, IMO. I was baffled that there wasn't a flag on the play.

If the player is inside the pad, it's a horsecollar. I just wish the Federation would allow the referees to make judgement calls in that situation instead of trying to clearly define a horsecollar. Most people know what a horsecollar is when they see it but it's not easy to define.

From where I was sitting --it did appear to be a horsecollar.

One call I didn't agree with that the refs flagged Tunstall for--was the intentional grounding by QB. Appeared the ball was tipped and it caused the trajectory of the ball to go out of bounds with no Tunstall player close.

Life has many choices---eternity two

If the player is inside the pad, it's a horsecollar. I just wish the Federation would allow the referees to make judgement calls in that situation instead of trying to clearly define a horsecollar. Most people know what a horsecollar is when they see it but it's not easy to define.

NFHS is clearly defining it, and taking less judgement out of it, which is a good thing.

Congratulations to Honaker for the win, and to Burton for a good season and tough fight today. Should be an entertaining game next week against Galax. J Honaker ran for a bunch and it will be interesting to see how he does against the Galax D line.