Richlands Play Calling vs Cave Spring

blueinbama

Panhandle of Florida teams do it here regularly. They play schools larger than they are and try to get other states to come in (Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama and other Florida teams (4-7 hours away). They don't always win these but the coaches feel if they play the better talent their kids will be ready for the best competition in their own divisions. When they bring in other teams further away in Florida they are larger schools. Here the schools run from 1A-8A. The 1A team that is making a deep run in the playoffs here played two 5A schools and one 6A school (they lost 2 of the 3) but that 1A team is not intimidated by any team in their division and the kids and coaches are better for it.

Much like Southwest VA the panhandle typically had not gotten the respect of other parts of the state, until the local coaches started scheduling out of the area teams (larger and many are top 5 in their states classes) and over the past 10 years some of the impression is changing. This small area has produced quite a bit of college and professional atheletes.

This area is faced with same fuel and shrinking budgets too. Not sure how they get it done but it has improved the teams and coaches that find a way to get out of their own geography. Looks like Richlands has some fantastic teams and this would serve them well if they could find a way to get out of their geography.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panhandle of Florida teams do it here regularly. They play schools larger than they are and try to get other states to come in (Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama and other Florida teams (4-7 hours away). They don't always win these but the coaches feel if they play the better talent their kids will be ready for the best competition in their own divisions. When they bring in other teams further away in Florida they are larger schools. Here the schools run from 1A-8A. The 1A team that is making a deep run in the playoffs here played two 5A schools and one 6A school (they lost 2 of the 3) but that 1A team is not intimidated by any team in their division and the kids and coaches are better for it.

Much like Southwest VA the panhandle typically had not gotten the respect of other parts of the state, until the local coaches started scheduling out of the area teams (larger and many are top 5 in their states classes) and over the past 10 years some of the impression is changing. This small area has produced quite a bit of college and professional atheletes.

This area is faced with same fuel and shrinking budgets too. Not sure how they get it done but it has improved the teams and coaches that find a way to get out of their own geography. Looks like Richlands has some fantastic teams and this would serve them well if they could find a way to get out of their geography.

It won't matter after next year if all is true. We will be dropping to single A ball in 2013. And I can't wait. We won't have any trouble with schedules, and won't hear the schedule stuff anymore.

It won't matter after next year if all is true. We will be dropping to single A ball in 2013. And I can't wait. We won't have any trouble with schedules, and won't hear the schedule stuff anymore.

was at the game and seemed as the coaching staff was confused what to do when they were behind and it seemed to relay to the players. Richlands was really never in a dogfight before and didnt know how to handle it and someone tell me how many times did cave run man in motion run and never a decent adjustment was made. not trying to piss anyone off just what i saw

True the schedule stuff is dead. The bigger teams in state do not need to play us would not say don't want to but they need some easy non dis games. And for the out of stae game yea you coukd go play a big tn school or nc but in va unlike va unless it changed you only get A points no matter the size and no bonus points. In the points part why do that. Now as far as the game wright was great but the turn overs lost that game for the blues and the play calling. You score right out the gate then on side kick. Then second half down by 7 just about anyone with 100 miles can tell you devon is the rb at richlands I saw twm straight posesions ran and devon tuched the ball once on the screen pass that was talked about a few posts back. Let's see down by 7 two rb to chose from a sr with 20 + td and over 1500 yds or a soph back up. Any picker for the second back mance sure thought so. But cave was the best team we faced good luck to them but the blues players should not be the ones with their head hunge low. They knew wright to the right all 5 td where to the right and out of 20 + carries I can remember him going left twice. And todd was your rt end so maybe they did that just for that. But saw them play cb it was wright to the right 99 % of the time spy him with devon run devon you'd be play sat plain and simple.

its not any easier at A...you will still be challenged just like you are now at the state level and if you play a weak schedule you will still hear the same talk and probably still have the same issues. You will be a Div 2 school...if you were to make it to Div 1 then you might have it easier...but, not by much. You will still probably have the same type of regular season and face better teams in the semis.

Grundy had to get 2 wv teams at the last second to get a full schedule.

they probably could have played Bluefield, but to be honest they dont really need to play a team like Bluefield this year, even though Bluefield might have been down from the usual...Grundy had a lot of change and I wouldn't want to schedule a team knowing I will probably be taking my kids in to a meat grinder.

The problem is not really getting the schedule, its getting a schedule that you match up well with...not saying teams you beat by 21, just teams you can compete with...Richlands is not one of them...would do Grundy nor Richlands any good to play each other this year...tazewell and graham might have been good match ups though, and i'd like to have seen Abingdon and marion still on the schedule...they both played good games with Grundy last year. John Battle would have been another good one.

Richlands would have to schedule teams down in TN and out past Cburg to get a tuff non district schedule, and it's just hard to get those schools to play you because of the travel and for the most part those schools play in a lot tougher district so they have to really watch who they schedule for non district games or they will screw around and not make the playoffs....its just a fact.

Haysi's side of the issue is that we are a small school and we already play most of the schools our size, we are alot better(in most season) than smaller schools and for the larger schools its a gamble. Play Haysi and if you win not get as many points because they are D1 and if you lose you lost to a D1 school. Ive said it before and I will say it again, Haysi avoids schools w/ enrollments over 450, our track record against schools that size leavs alot to be desired and the games generally arent that close. Now the past few seasons Haysi has been down and everyone knows it, suddenly the scheduling issues have went away, amazing!

And of course no one and I mean no one wants to travel to Haysi

Ryan4VT, Lance is right. As an A school no one will want to play Richlands, you guys are too good for most D2 schools and D3s wont want to play you because you are D2 and just forget about most D1s although im sure Clintwood wouldnt shy away. You guys may be looking to WV for games when you drop.

Edited by redtiger

its not any easier at A...you will still be challenged just like you are now at the state level and if you play a weak schedule you will still hear the same talk and probably still have the same issues. You will be a Div 2 school...if you were to make it to Div 1 then you might have it easier...but, not by much. You will still probably have the same type of regular season and face better teams in the semis.

I didn't mean it to come off as it will be easy. I wanted it to come off as we will have scheduling options. So hopefully we can schedule a good team or two outside of district. Maybe then we won't hear the schedule thing. That's all I meant. If you look at our current schedule, assuming Taz drops with us, we have single a Taz, union, gate, Honaker, battle, Lebanon, VA high. That leaves 3 open spots. I'm assuming we may keep Abingdon? That would leave two spots to pick up some quality opponents.

I didn't mean it to come off as it will be easy. I wanted it to come off as we will have scheduling options. So hopefully we can schedule a good team or two outside of district. Maybe then we won't hear the schedule thing. That's all I meant. If you look at our current schedule, assuming Taz drops with us, we have single a Taz, union, gate, Honaker, battle, Lebanon, VA high. That leaves 3 open spots. I'm assuming we may keep Abingdon? That would leave two spots to pick up some quality opponents.

Abingdon wont want any part of Richlands when they are not in the district with them again...you guys will have a hard time finding a full schedule...although i heard Bluefield had agreed to start playing them again soon...so that will be a nice game for both teams and the local fans as well.

Abingdon wont want any part of Richlands when they are not in the district with them again...you guys will have a hard time finding a full schedule...although i heard Bluefield had agreed to start playing them again soon...so that will be a nice game for both teams and the local fans as well.

I look forward to that match if it happens. I would hope GC (if they leave the CMD), Union, and Honaker would keep us on shedule. Honaker would almost def stay as long as Bowerbank is around. What other matchups do you guys think would be good? Would Clintwood or Burton schedule us? Maybe GW??

I look forward to that match if it happens. I would hope GC (if they leave the CMD), Union, and Honaker would keep us on shedule. Honaker would almost def stay as long as Bowerbank is around. What other matchups do you guys think would be good? Would Clintwood or Burton schedule us? Maybe GW?? Would Grundy be interested in picking the series back up?

I look forward to that match if it happens. I would hope GC (if they leave the CMD), Union, and Honaker would keep us on shedule. Honaker would almost def stay as long as Bowerbank is around. What other matchups do you guys think would be good? Would Clintwood or Burton schedule us? Maybe GW?? Would Grundy be interested in picking the series back up?

grundy has a ways to go before they need to play you guys...wouldnt do either team any good to be honest. They would just be playing your JV by the 2nd half with a rolling clock...just being honest.

clintwood would be a good game to pick up...and maybe Riverside? There are a couple of teams in TN that would not be that far to play. Honaker is not even a good game for you guys to be honest...neither is Tazewell...Graham seems to be on the road to recovery so that might be ok in a couple of years...see how it goes next year for them and then make the call i think. GW would be OK...you need to find some teams with speed...I think Cave Spring would be a great pick up if you could pull it off...long trip, but worth it for both teams I think...they would get some hits and size exposure and you guys would get some speed experience. You would never get them to do it, but Cburg and Salem would be great as well....but that will never happen....maybe Liberty Bedford or one of those teams in that area....if you stagger them so you are not on the road at all of them in the same year, it wouldn't be bad to make the trip.

grundy has a ways to go before they need to play you guys...wouldnt do either team any good to be honest. They would just be playing your JV by the 2nd half with a rolling clock...just being honest.

clintwood would be a good game to pick up...and maybe Riverside? There are a couple of teams in TN that would not be that far to play. Honaker is not even a good game for you guys to be honest...neither is Tazewell...Graham seems to be on the road to recovery so that might be ok in a couple of years...see how it goes next year for them and then make the call i think. GW would be OK...you need to find some teams with speed...I think Cave Spring would be a great pick up if you could pull it off...long trip, but worth it for both teams I think...they would get some hits and size exposure and you guys would get some speed experience. You would never get them to do it, but Cburg and Salem would be great as well....but that will never happen....maybe Liberty Bedford or one of those teams in that area....if you stagger them so you are not on the road at all of them in the same year, it wouldn't be bad to make the trip.

I think it's fine to keep Graham. Honaker will stay just due to Bowerbank footing most of the bill for our fields. I would bet everything I own that where Richlands goes, Tazewell goes. They won't separate. If it came down to RHS and Grundy with 9 games each, and couldn't find anyone else, would they pick it up??

I think it's fine to keep Graham. Honaker will stay just due to Bowerbank footing most of the bill for our fields. I would bet everything I own that where Richlands goes, Tazewell goes. They won't separate. If it came down to RHS and Grundy with 9 games each, and couldn't find anyone else, would they pick it up??

i don't know...maybe?

You would never get them to do it, but Cburg and Salem would be great as well....but that will never happen.....

You may know something that I don't, but why wouldn't Christiansburg be willing to play Richlands? They used to play each other in the 1990s, albeit back when CHS was in the New River and needed 7 non-district games each year. They also scrimmaged each other a few years ago (not in a jamboree).

Christiansburg already plays Bassett, which is about a 90-minute trip by car. Richlands isn't much further. Did Richlands try to get them on the schedule but get turned down?

The word is that C'burg and B'burg both turned down playing Richlands this past offseason, I can't swear it's true, but it has seemed to be accepted as truth on here so who knows.

The word is that C'burg and B'burg both turned down playing Richlands this past offseason, I can't swear it's true, but it has seemed to be accepted as truth on here so who knows.

thats what i heard...from a couple of people who "should" know the truth.

More so than not, having Pulaski on the schedule will do more good than harm. That being said, the Patrick Co. pickup should have never happen and hopefully will be over after next year. Many other teams to play that would give competition and put wins on the board to help in the ratings. Just to name a few- Clintwood, George Wythe, Galax, Bluefield, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, River View, Grayson Co., Tennessee High, etc. And that's not even traveling east of Wytheville.

I understand that scheduling a 6 game out of district schedule isn't the easiest thing but with the Richlands fan base and a winning tradition, money from the gate and points from the wins would be enough to have a number of local teams knocking down the door to play the Blues.

any one who thinks tougher scheduling wont help richlands is football dum.

Show me a post where anyone said that Richlands doesn't want to schedule tougher opponents, or where anyone said it wouldn't help??? That's what everyone has been saying, and the answer is pretty much always the same. We try to schedule better teams, they won't play us. Plain and simple.

Playing a tougher schedule would help anybody, Period! We all know that, but what are we suppost to do, show up on a friday night and run on someone's field and ask can we play? I know for a fact, we have tried to schedule Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Hidden Valley, Tennessee High, Libery Bedford, Rockbridge Co. in previous years, and they are probably more. They have no desire to come here the way the playoffs are set up now, 1 loss and you could lose a home game in the Playoffs.

Yes we also tried to get GW. They said no also. Coach Mance treis very hard to no avail. He also tried to schedule some very good Tenn. Teams. Out of the fifteen teams or so he tried to get, it was Pulaski and Patrick Co. only.

Yes its close to being a done deal with Bluefield. Keep your fingers crossed.

Yes we also tried to get GW. They said no also. Coach Mance treis very hard to no avail. He also tried to schedule some very good Tenn. Teams. Out of the fifteen teams or so he tried to get, it was Pulaski and Patrick Co. only.

Yes its close to being a done deal with Bluefield. Keep your fingers crossed.

I hear the same thing about the Bluefield game. Will be starting in 2013 for at least 6 years.