Richlands Play Calling vs Cave Spring

blueinbama

Where is that? At like, 13 or 14 straight wins? Lol. Had to do it Lance. ;)

might be more than that. The thing is that at times Grundy has had a team that could give Richlands a good game, we were actually up on Richlands late in the game a few times along the 14+ straight losses and had the wheels come off, onside kicks and fumbles...just bad things happened...probably a few of those games Grundy could have, if not should have won.

That being said...right now is a transition phase for Grundy and I don't see any benefit for Grundy or Richlands in them playing...at least for a couple of years until we see what sort of program Coach Ward can build for himself...he is doing good things, has some good ideas...i'm hoping we can honestly compete with Richlands soon...but for now, we have to rebuild and putting a bunch of young kids out there to get pounded by 50+ in a half wouldn't do us any good or you any good. Grundy and Richlands need to play teams they can hang with and that are on the same level as each other, right now thats two different levels.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing a tougher schedule would help anybody, Period! We all know that, but what are we suppost to do, show up on a friday night and run on someone's field and ask can we play? I know for a fact, we have tried to schedule Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Hidden Valley, Tennessee High, Libery Bedford, Rockbridge Co. in previous years, and they are probably more. They have no desire to come here the way the playoffs are set up now, 1 loss and you could lose a home game in the Playoffs.

Geography has to play some role in the scheduling issue. If Richlands approached Liberty(Bedford) I would imagine that they were rebuffed due to the distance. The Minutemen play a pretty diverse and difficult non-district schedule (Harrisonburg this season and other playoff teams like Broadway and Dinwiddie fairly recently) without having to travel farther than a couple of hours to do so.

Although I suspect that B-burg and C-burg very well may be dodging Richlands, they can also make the same argument. There's just not much benefit for them in a home and home series at all.

Upgrading the schedule would definitely be a good thing, but it's very nearly a dead horse. At the level Richlands reaches most years, the teams they play are outstanding. Who you've played before that point doesn't matter a lot. Tackling the individual in front of you on that particular day is absolutely a matter of life and death.

Used to play Packtrick Henry of Roanoke back in the 60's too. I'm not in favor of resuming play with Bluefield. Too much bad refereeing in the past.

Regardless of the schedule this year or next the Blues had an awesome season again and I say congratulations to a great bunch of young men! Back when we played those far away tough teams we couldn't get past the district level in post season. Glad times have changed!

Richlands used to play Harrisonburg and E.C. Glass among others from up that way in the 50's and 60's and I'm sure the roads haven't got worse since then....

Richlands was also playing in the highest division back then (today's equivalent of AAA). Echoing what other posters have said here, the current playoff system works against the ability of the Blues' AD to schedule top quality non-district opponents.

And while Richlands may be willing to travel all over creation to improve its schedule, there apparently aren't a lot of schools who are willing to reciprocate -- and no AD worth his/her salt is going to schedule anything other than a home and home.

The inevitable drop to Single A should effectively put the schedule argument to bed once and for all.

Tazewell and richlands looking at district change in 2013

By Jim Talbert

Published: November 15, 2011

http://www.richlands-news-press.com/news/article/tazewell_and_richlands_looking_at_district_change_in_2013/11423/

By JIM TALBERT\Staff

Richlands and Tazewell High Schools will have a better idea of their classification for athletics in the future before Dec. 1.

Tazewell High School Principal Keith Hovis and Richlands Principal Karen Webb spoke to the school board Nov. 14 about the Virginia High School League’s redistrict and reclassification possibilities. Hovis said that committee will meet Nov. 29 and decided whether to reclassify the state’s 312 school into three groups of equal size or use a fixed numbers system to classify them.

The system chosen will become effective in 2013-14.. Hovis said equal thirds would allow Richlands to remain AA but Tazewell was likely headed to A either way. He said the other possibility was that a four class system could be adoprted and that was the system he and Webb favored.

Hovis said the district and region had met and there was a possibility that the Blue Ridge would enter Region IV in 2013-14 with Cave Spring, Hidden Valley and Salem moving to that district. He said the possibility of Pulaski, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Abingdon and Carroll County forming a new district had also been discussed. He said Marion was entertaining the idea of going A and moving to the Hogohegee District.

Hovis and Webb said based on those discussions, even though it was very early in the process they had reached out to Region D, Class A. “If Richlands and/or Tazewell went to A we would prefer to investigate admittance into Region D.

Hovis said this was because of travel, tradition, similar enrollment figures and common opponents. Division two in Region D currently has Grundy with 481 students, John Battle with 607, Wise Central, 689, Gate City 708, Lebanon, 553, Va. High, 651, Union, 706 and Lee at 712.

The Average Daily Membership numbers from March of 2011 showed Richlands at 736 and Tazewell with 663. Pulaski County is the largest school in Region IV with 1,450 students. Carroll County has 1,186 and is the largest school in the Southwest District.

Hovis said Tazewell and Richlands had lost students since those March figures were submitted. He said Cave Spring Principal Steve Spangler represents Region IV on the redistricting committee. Hovis said Cave Spring with an enrollment of 820 was in a situation similar to Richlands and Spangler would do a good job of advocating for the smaller schools.

The board asked Hovis to notify them of the committee’s decision as soon as it is reached.

that would great i do not think that A is weak it would just be nice to be A then we could play anyone around us andit would not hurt us to bad points wise. we would be better off in other sports because they do not do div in other sp[orts becuse they do not make money like football. so when you get into regionals and so on you can face a school with 1400+ students. we are in a area with little AA teams and its my understanding that va give A points for any out of state school so why play a big school and get A ppoints when you can play a a school in state and get the same maybe more because you get no bounus points for out of state. yea it would help the team see better teams but no points that hurts when it comes to playing at home or 3 hrs up the road. but like i said devon was our back the last 2 yrs and he touched the ball once in two 3 and outs in the second half. ????????????

You can count the number of games Richlands has lost in the last several years without using your toes.... yet everytime they do it's either the playcalling or the officiating. Why can't it just be because they got beat? They gave it everything they had but came up short. There is no shame in that!

You can count the number of games Richlands has lost in the last several years without using your toes.... yet everytime they do it's either the playcalling or the officiating. Why can't it just be because they got beat? They gave it everything they had but came up short. There is no shame in that!

true...and it can happen on any given Friday night...you just never know.

I think a lot of that goes back to the lack of competition in the area. Because Richlands dominates nearly every team it plays in the regular season, the fans (not just those of RHS, but many in SWVa in general) expect them to challenge for the state title every single year, which isn't necessarily realistic. Anything less seems to be a huge disappointment.

I started this thread because I had questions about the play calling. Richlands has been a balanced offense all year, and I, along with the WRIC play-by-play man Rocky Smith and others, wondered what was going on when Richlands was behind by 2 scores yet still they were running the ball up the middle. I was listening online and going by what I was hearing. After Lance posted the pics, and after I watched a video online showing Cave Spring blanketing the receivers, it gave me a better understanding of the play calling. In no way was I trying to trash our coaches or our players. I would never do that. I am an alum of RHS, and I love my school. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by having questions, but sometimes listening to the broadcast doesn't always reflect what is actually happening on the field. I feel bad that my thread was perceived as one that is trying to disparage my high school. I never meant that to happen.

Oversimplifying by a lot, but if the Blues would have tackled (and specifically -- one kid) a whole lot better, then they would've won this one. The defensive failure seems to have very little to do with the offensive play calling.

Apparently Richlands is attempting to mimic Tech in every way -- right down to the fanbase. The Hokies' more spectacular defeats have occurred when the defense folded (or was completely shredded a la last year's Orange Bowl). Yet the cult of Bud Foster flourishes while people continue to gripe about the offense.

Just an observation. Stay thirsty, my friends.

Would love to see RHS play Dobyns Bennett. I know the geography (amongst other reasons) will prevent it. But that would be a great game.

They have been a few years we could compete with Dobyns Bennett, but most years they would destroy us! Your talking about a school with over 2000 kids.

They have been a few years we could compete with Dobyns Bennett, but most years they would destroy us! Your talking about a school with over 2000 kids.

Yeah, I know...I graduated from there many years ago. I truly think RHS could compete with them though...at least some of your recent teams could. Lord knows, you could beat them in the playoffs because DB folds like a fan in the playoffs.