Sussex Central...

ISOaPBR

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any details on SC? I tried to look some stuff up on the VHSL website and it wouldnt load.

I think they are the Tigers, colors red and blue. From the Tri-Rivers District

Enrollment, style of offense, style of defense, anything.

Does the travel time/distance restriction not apply this far into the playoffs?

Edited by redtiger

How is that even possible? I assume lots and lots of turnovers for Covington?

Even though they are 12-1 they are ranked below Clintwood in Power rankings according to VHSL Reference site ...guess strength of schedule comes into play here...heard they run a spread offense ,,kind of like East Mont of last yr

Sussex Central stats: QB Tyquan Johnson (37 of 72 passing, 878 yards, 11 TDs, 6 INTs, 5 two-point passes, 52 for 234 rushing, 6 TDs), RB Darian Curley (82-825, 13 TDs, 3 two-point runs), RB Jeronte Langford (35-605, 7 TDs), RB Dequan Turner (47-468, 10 TDs), RB Brian Crockett (41-343, 3 TDs), WR John Jones (9-306, 5 TDs).

Scouting report: Covington has a long trip to Sussex County to face a program that has enjoyed immense success. ... Sussex defeated Bath County for the 2003 Division 1 state title under Jefferson after losing to the Chargers in the final in 2001. ... The Tigers won eight straight regional championships from 1987 to 1994, defeating Lebanon 56-6 in the Division 2 final. ... Sussex runs a multiple offense, including some spread passing and even the wishbone. ... The Tigers' lone loss was 12-8 to Group AA Brunswick. ... Sussex scored a season-high 68 points against Northumberland. ... Covington faces a five-hour trip, thus the Saturday game. ... The Cougars are looking for their first state semifinal berth since losing to J.I. Burton in 1998. ... Covington won the full Group A championship in 1984. ... The winner will play one of the two survivors in the Division 1 West Section.

----

Although they run some spread, make no mistake, Sussex has generally relied on a run-first, power-based offense -- a lot like Franklin, which Clintwood fans should be familiar with.

The only time I've ever seen Sussex play was in that 2003 title game vs Bath. It sounds like from the write-up above, they still play a very similar style and they still have the same coach.

I found it interesting that the QB and one of the RBs had combined for eight two-point conversions prior to the Covington game. One thing I recall from that game vs Bath was that they had NO kicking game. They even went for it on 4th and long from their own 20 or so because they kept screwing up punts.

heard they run a spread offense ,,kind of like East Mont of last yr

Not even similar. As hoard said, they are a run first team. They run out of the spread and what passing they do is more short stuff to backs. Think more Florida with Tebow.

Not even similar. As hoard said, they are a run first team. They run out of the spread and what passing they do is more short stuff to backs. Think more Florida with Tebow.

Best I can tell they are in the Veer alot as well

From what I have seem the D1 Eastern Division is just weak. Clintwood, GW and Galax would dominate all the teams from the Eastern.

I would love to see a Clintwood Galax final in D1

Edited by stainless

Had the oppurtunity to watch Covington a couple times. I'm there once a month for military manuvers. They had some special athletes this year but are poorly coached and have very few players. Can't take anything away from what they were able to accomplish but wouldn't take anything from this game. All of the teams from the west would have beaten Covington with the running game. Won't sell Sussex short but believe that Clintwood can control the pace of the game. How clintwood handles they trip will be the major factor here.

I would have loved a trip like that when i was playing lol...be a cool experience for the kids...hope they go out there early enough on Friday to maybe stop and take in a thing or two along the way somewhere?

...led Covington 74-8 at the half today. Won 88-8. Give em hell Clintwood.

GW scored 73 points on Twin Springs ...probably could have scored a 100 I suppose.. That's just 15 less than Sussex Central... Clintwood held GW to 13 points .. Clintwood will go into the game well prepared to shut down Sussex's offense .. Should be a good game...hope I can make the trip!:)

I hope Clintwood makes a stop at the D-Day Memorial, and Appomattox Court House on the way. They would be nice stops and are both just off 460.

Good luck, and be ready for speed from Sussex.

wished vhsl ,looked into their LOOKING glass, being it is, what it is, 7hr is a long way to travel, for a semi.........final, i could understand.....we had a great crowd at gw,,,,don't know if we can have that many so far away.........:(