brand new enrollment numbers

VHSLhelper

although quit a few are VERY questionable, the VHSL has released the Sept. 30 ADM's from the state Dept. of Ed., in size order. "Highlights"...

Marion missed being A eligible by 3 kids, Richlands missed by 20.

Cave Spring IS A eligible by 13 kids.

Lee is now 13 kids too big for A.

Castlewood is down, despite the addition of the St. Paul kids

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-Sept30-2011-membership_-actual-numbers.pdf

I was thinking the same thing. According to these numbers, Cave Spring lost over 150 kids in the last year.

Odd as it seems, that's actually possible. There is generally a lot of flux in terms of kids passing between the public school systems in the Roanoke Valley (Roanoke County, Roanoke City, and Salem), and the private schools are also aggressively recruiting students.

Castlewood probably lost kids due to the power plant laying people off...i know of a couple of people who were working there and got laid off? It's not even open yet? Not sure what that is all about.

Given that these numbers are the official DOE numbers, and that no administraton in its right mind would undercount its enrollment, I put more stock in them than most. Funding is allocated based mostly on these numbers, more students = more money.

Being that they are DOE numbers they should be spot on however it COULD be that some schools may house 9th graders in a middle school while at others 8th and 9th graders could be at the High School

That being said if correct Honaker lost a ton of kids

Given that these numbers are the official DOE numbers, and that no administraton in its right mind would undercount its enrollment, I put more stock in them than most. Funding is allocated based mostly on these numbers, more students = more money.

Perhaps. I found divisions breakdown from last year for football which has some enrollment figures. I understand they aren't the official DOE numbers but just for comparison of how different these numbers are from the DOE release...

Some do make a lot of sense.. others, well..not so much.

DOE-School-The numbers recently used for divisions

893-Abingdon-925

728-Richlands-736

721-Lee-712

711-Marion-715

695-Cave Spring-820

684-Gate City-708

677-Virginia-651

625-Floyd County-636

611-Tazewell-663

599-John Battle-607

590-Grayson Co

543-Graham-531

515-Grundy-481

482-Alleghany-850

449-Chilhowie-445

448-Radford-455

447-Fort Chiswell-496

439-George Wythe-435

437-Glenvar-600

409-Patrick Henry-416

395-Giles-519

382-Lebanon-553

381-Galax-387

373-Auburn-387

348-Rural Retreat-360

300-Holston-320

287-Clintwood-304

285-JI Burton-262

282-Honaker-390

261-Northwood-267

250-Haysi-285

248-Castlewood-265

237-Twin Springs-225

229-Twin Valley-225

216-Rye Cove-225

177-Hurley-183

126-Ervinton-158

Being that they are DOE numbers they should be spot on however it COULD be that some schools may house 9th graders in a middle school while at others 8th and 9th graders could be at the High School

That being said if correct Honaker lost a ton of kids

That's true, as well. However, given that some schools have seen significant changes, wouldn't we have heard something if schools changed attendance policies in that significant a fashion?

Castlewood probably lost kids due to the power plant laying people off...i know of a couple of people who were working there and got laid off? It's not even open yet? Not sure what that is all about.

At this point the Power Plant is being wrapped up, alot of the crews that follow Shaw are moving to the next job and alot of the local labor that was hired is being laid off because theres not alot of work left. Foremen and more skilled positions are about all thats left working. Atleast that is my understanding.

Edited by redtiger

Most didnt and the ones that did leaving wouldnt account for that dramatic of an enrollment drop. Maybe its just a mass exodus from Russell Co?

The Leer plant or whatever closed and the other place beside it that was doing the wheels closed as well...so between that and the power plant, could account for some of it for sure I would think.

I know my friend moved to NC...he had 3 kids.

According to a poster on VA Preps..."The VHSL is saying the DOE provided them with inaccurate numbers and the realignment proposal will be released once the new figures are received."

Helper may have more on this if true.

The Leer plant or whatever closed and the other place beside it that was doing the wheels closed as well...so between that and the power plant, could account for some of it for sure I would think.

I know my friend moved to NC...he had 3 kids.

The Lear plant hurt. Badly. My aunt lost a 15+ year job when they moved north.

Odd as it seems, that's actually possible. There is generally a lot of flux in terms of kids passing between the public school systems in the Roanoke Valley (Roanoke County, Roanoke City, and Salem), and the private schools are also aggressively recruiting students.

Well, then, wouldn't you see an increase in enrollment somewhere??? There isn't...

Most of the Russell County layoffs would principally involve the Lebanon area and the Lear closure should have been reflected in last years enrollment figures. It is impossible for Castlewood to show a loss no matter how you cut it.

Most of the Russell County layoffs would principally involve the Lebanon area and the Lear closure should have been reflected in last years enrollment figures. It is impossible for Castlewood to show a loss no matter how you cut it.

my friend was laid off from Lear went to the power plant, laid off there not long ago and moved to NC...he lived in Castlewood...kinda sad.

According to a poster on VA Preps..."The VHSL is saying the DOE provided them with inaccurate numbers and the realignment proposal will be released once the new figures are received."

Helper may have more on this if true.

Here's what was sent out...

"The DOE has advised [VHSL] office the September 30, 2011 Membership Figures provided earlier to the R&R Committee are incorrect. We will post the correct September 30, 2011 Membership Figures as soon as possible. In addition, the revised Initial Alignment Plan Redistricting and Reclassification Plan for 2013-14 and 2014-15 will be reposted."

my friend was laid off from Lear went to the power plant, laid off there not long ago and moved to NC...he lived in Castlewood...kinda sad.

Its a bad deal. A friend of mine and her husband are in a tight spot too. He is a foreman w/ Shaw and they are deciding if they should move so he can keep his job or should they go in a different direction. They knew the job wouldnt last but its still hard.

Well, then, wouldn't you see an increase in enrollment somewhere??? There isn't...

Not if they are going to private schools and/or moving out of the area. Hard to believe that either would add up to 150 at Cave Spring alone, however.

Erroneous estimate from the DOE makes the most sense. In terms of population projections, I know that Weldon Cooper tends to short the western portion of Virginia. Maybe the education folks are using the same formula and their methodology is equally flawed.