2012 expectations

redtiger

Just wondering what everyone is expecting from their team this comming season; strong points, changes in he offense/defense and record predictions

Haysi- we lost alot from last season but should have a solid passing game. Depending on where some of the players from Ervinton end up Haysi could have a strong running game. Oline is a year older and more experienced(only lost 1 starter). Defense could be a little soft again. Size is still gonna be an issue this season(which was the main problem with the defense last season)

Im thinking 7-3 IF a couple of Ervinton players find their way to Haysi like I think they will, maybe even a win or two in the playoffs. Record also depends on who replaces Ervinton.

Edited by redtiger

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

clintwood is lookin for a few good linemen... got some big shoes to fill...should be fairly solid on o, but kinda want to see whos going to step up in the fullback slot.....defence ..lookin for the same.....got some returning players who played fullback at times and linebacker. i know for sure there is at least 2 transfers coming from rebel land,... they are big... stout...but never played jv or varsity...(back yard ball). 10th graders...........:eek:

Im wondering who is gonna play QB for the wave this season? Thye younger Dahley would allow the elder to move to WR and improve the Wave Offense imo. It seems like Clintwood has more talent at TE than at FB. #13 will be the bggest loss for Clintwood, the Offense ran through(or behind) him, hes gonna be almost impossible to replace.

Running game should still be strong and the passing game should improve, could be another good season for Clintwood.

Edited by redtiger

Last I heard, Battle only had a few (albeit important) positions to refill, but we've got some good talent stepping in. We'll be young in some positions, but I think we'll be good.

As for Central's Warriors there's alot of unknowns with the new regime and Coach Reed. The Warriors return some talent and could be a pleasant suprise if they can put it together. Vast improvements have to be made on the defensive side of the ball if the Warriors expect to compete. I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's thoughts on their respective teams

As for Central's Warriors there's alot of unknowns with the new regime and Coach Reed. The Warriors return some talent and could be a pleasant suprise if they can put it together. Vast improvements have to be made on the defensive side of the ball if the Warriors expect to compete. I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's thoughts on their respective teams

What direction do you think the Warriors Offense go in? Stick w/ the Double Slot or move toward a Gate City style approach?

Edited by redtiger

What direction do you think the Warriors Offense go in? Stick w/ the Double Slot or move toward a Gate City style approach?

I'd say Reed will go with what he knows and we'll see a more GC style approach

Grundy lost a lot of talent to graduation...it will be interesting to see what Coach Ward can pull out of what he has to work with this year. Grundy/Hurley/Twin Valley combined would make a good team.

Grundy lost a lot of talent to graduation...it will be interesting to see what Coach Ward can pull out of what he has to work with this year. Grundy/Hurley/Twin Valley combined would make a good team.

Grundy/hurley/twin valley needs to happen...SOON

G-Men....about the same as last year. I think they finish somewhere around .500.

BTW...anyone know when the Graham/Beaver game is? Aug. 24th or 31st?

24 th

The Grunhur Valley Blue Panthers?

I'm sure it will be called the Buch Co high school once it happens...maybe they will make the mascot an Elk since they just turned a few loose over there lol.

Should be interesting in the MED this year. Graham will be a year older but from other post seem to have some kids looking else where. Bland just doesn't have the depth to win year in and out with the likes of Graham, Fort, Grayson and Galax, but look to be a year away from competing with those top 4. Make note of the word Compete not saying they will win it all. Fort has a good program and look to be better than last year imo. Grayson should be solid this year but need to replace some rb's. lots of yards and TD's between those two seniors last year. and Galax wow, what a year they had but now that is all over but they seem to always have some athletic kids every year and return the peoples brothers. Narrows from what I hear is expecting a better year also like bland just can't compete every year with the rest of the district.

Union finished last regular season 5-5 but every game, win or lose, was very exciting and close; record could have just as easily been 8-2 or 2-8. The Bears units that suited up at the end of last year for rookie head coach Travis Turner returns 6 on defense and 5 on offense - so they'll have some continuity.

Strong point: the two running backs return, a year older and stronger, and the entire linebacking corps returns, a year wiser and bigger.

Weak points: only one starting offensive lineman returns.

I think players fun to watch this season for the Bears could be underclassmen including Mekyah Davis (5'10" 190 lbs), Zack Barker (6' 4" 220 lbs), and Austin Falin (6' 1" 240 lbs).

Should be interesting in the MED this year. Graham will be a year older but from other post seem to have some kids looking else where. Bland just doesn't have the depth to win year in and out with the likes of Graham, Fort, Grayson and Galax, but look to be a year away from competing with those top 4. Make note of the word Compete not saying they will win it all. Fort has a good program and look to be better than last year imo. Grayson should be solid this year but need to replace some rb's. lots of yards and TD's between those two seniors last year. and Galax wow, what a year they had but now that is all over but they seem to always have some athletic kids every year and return the peoples brothers. Narrows from what I hear is expecting a better year also like bland just can't compete every year with the rest of the district.

Galax will be better than the "experts" suggest after loosing the best senior class in school history. Of all boys teams this school year, only track failed to qualify for state. Two seniors, Eddie Hanks and Jon Alouf graduated with 5 state championship rings. That is impressive.

Grayson returns a lot of talent and if they can replace Daren Anderson and Xavier Rodriguez, they can do some damage. Max Rodgers may be the best player in this half of Virginia.

Union finished last regular season 5-5 but every game, win or lose, was very exciting and close; record could have just as easily been 8-2 or 2-8. The Bears units that suited up at the end of last year for rookie head coach Travis Turner returns 6 on defense and 5 on offense - so they'll have some continuity.

Strong point: the two running backs return, a year older and stronger, and the entire linebacking corps returns, a year wiser and bigger.

Weak points: only one starting offensive lineman returns.

I think players fun to watch this season for the Bears could be underclassmen including Mekyah Davis (5'10" 190 lbs), Zack Barker (6' 4" 220 lbs), and Austin Falin (6' 1" 240 lbs).

I look for Union to be one heck of a team this coming season. The O line will hurt early on, but I think they'll find a way to remedy that.

Union has adequated, but not exceptional, team speed. Certainly nothing like the speed that the Powell Valley and Appalachia teams of the 1990s contained. Lack of speed was really the weakness for last year's team. I don't see any young speedsters on the roster for the fall - and that will again limit success.

But I do agree that they'll likely find replacement linemen from a really deep squad. Looking at last year's roster of lettermen, they may have several inexperienced, but big, tackles they can choose from to beef up the line. I will not list names but - here are some impressive dimensions; 6'3" 310 lbs, 6'3" 275 lbs, 6'1" 300 lbs, 6'0" 280 lbs, and 6'3" 250 lbs.

The center returns from last year and it appears that the Bears have a long list of players in that typical guard size - 200 lbs to 230 lbs.

Because of consolidation, raw materials are plentiful for Coach Turner. I think the team may be one more year away from a championship type unit.

If Union stays w/ the T that will help the line out alot, more backs to help block and those quick dives are easier to block for.

If I remember right their backup FB last season wasnt bad, is he back?

What does Union have at QB?

Edited by redtiger