best game over the years

Tigers_07

2001 Pulaski vs. Graham(scrimmage game)

2002 Bluefield vs. Wayne(Semi-final game)

2003 Weir vs. Bluefield(2nd round playoff game)

2003 Poca vs. Bluefield(State Championship game)

2004 Martinsburg vs. Bluefield

2007 Bluefield vs. Richlands

2009 Bluefield vs. Magnolia(Semi-final game)

Those were some others that were memorable to me over the years.

Edited by blufan04

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2001 Pulaski vs. Graham(scrimmage game)

2002 Bluefield vs. Wayne(Semi-final game)

2003 Weir vs. Bluefield(2nd round playoff game)

2003 Poca vs. Bluefield(State Championship game)

2004 Martinsburg vs. Bluefield

2007 Bluefield vs. Richlands

2009 Bluefield vs. Magnolia(Semi-final game)

Those were some others that were memorable to me over the years.

For some reason I can't recall the 2003 Bluefield Wayne game. Why is the Poca vs Blu championship game memorable? It unfortunately wasn't much of a game. I missed the last 3. 2002-2003 Bluefield Richlands game was very good too.

That's probably my favorite now. Because of it's significance and for how good the game was. That 01 Clintwood team is the worst Clintwood team I've ever seen, btw. I'd add both the GW game and the Sussex game in their with that one.

GC 28 CW 27 in 07. The only regular season loss for Clintwood that year. A team that Clintwood should have beaten by a few TD's that continued to keep Clintwood under their thumb. Might be the most frustrating loss ever for me. Add to that one last years CW 28 GC 27 game. Just a good hard hitting game. .

That '01 team was pretty bad, but that didnt make the win any less sweet for us!

I was at Clintwood/GC '07, hell of a game! GCs depth won that game. By the 4th Quarter Clintwood was wore out and couldnt stop GCs blast play(GC kept bouncing it outside and up the sideline).

I didnt get to watch it but a game I watch on SWVA Footballs youtube channel is Clintwood/JIBurton '11(basically Austin Dotson busts JI Burtons ass for 4 quarters!)

Another game I will watch on there is GC/Gretna '10(again, asses getting busted!).

Edited by redtiger

There was a Graham vs. Gate City game back in 1997....that went to 3 overtimes....

And the infamous "hail mary" that Bluefield Threw to beat Graham 6-4.... that's right... it was 4-0 late until Bluefield threw a hail mary pass to the back of the end zone....

That '01 team was pretty bad, but that didnt make the win any less sweet for us!

I was at Clintwood/GC '07, hell of a game! GCs depth won that game. By the 4th Quarter Clintwood was wore out and couldnt stop GCs blast play(GC kept bouncing it outside and up the sideline).

I didnt get to watch it but a game I watch on SWVA Footballs youtube channel is Clintwood/JIBurton '11(basically Austin Dotson busts JI Burtons ass for 4 quarters!)

Another game I will watch on there is GC/Gretna '10(again, asses getting busted!).

Didn't mean to deminish what beating that 01 team like that meant. Just an observation that they were just horrible. They beat Ervinton, Pound, and Castlewood that year. EEK.

I don't think it was depth or anything like that in that GC/CW game. Clintwood manhandled Burton and Burton manhandled GC. I think it was two things. Mental and that open week. I've always hated having big games after open weeks.

Agree on that 11 CW/JIB game. As was the case in most games, Dotson was a man among boys.

I remember Clintwood didnt have alot of depth and GC only started 3-4 both ways. Cw just couldnt stop that play. I think alot of it was matchups, GC and JIB were two very different teams in '07, still are

That's probably my favorite now. Because of it's significance and for how good the game was. That 01 Clintwood team is the worst Clintwood team I've ever seen, btw. I'd add both the GW game and the Sussex game in their with that one.

Throw in that 97 PV/Appy game. Crazy amount of talent on those two teams that will never be duplicated around here.

99 Honaker 20 Clintwood 19. Clintwood finally got over the PV monkey in the playoffs to lose to a team they'd manhandled for several years for the Region D title. Great game though.

GC 28 CW 27 in 07. The only regular season loss for Clintwood that year. A team that Clintwood should have beaten by a few TD's that continued to keep Clintwood under their thumb. Might be the most frustrating loss ever for me. Add to that one last years CW 28 GC 27 game. Just a good hard hitting game.

94 Grundy 15 CW 8. This was my sr year and one of the hardest and most heartbreaking losses ever. I came off the field for 2 plays (both kickoffs) and could barely walk afterword. Do any of you Grundy folk remember who #55 was? Played LB and Guard. Heck of a player. He came in our locker room after word and gave me a hug and told me what a great game we'd played. Class person.

Can't remember the year but there was a JIB game with Clintwood in the late 90's. I want to say 95. Heck of a game that ended regulation 0-0 with Clintwood kicking a fg to wn the game in OT.

I LOVE the Clintwood and Gate City series. Always an amazing game with two similar teams with similar play styles. Cant wait for this year's edition

For some reason I can't recall the 2003 Bluefield Wayne game. Why is the Poca vs Blu championship game memorable? It unfortunately wasn't much of a game. I missed the last 3. 2002-2003 Bluefield Richlands game was very good too.

Do you mean the 2002 Wayne or 2003 Weir game? The 2003 Poca game is memorable to Bluefield fans about the same way the 2004 Bluefield/Weir game is memorable to the Weir fans. Memorable but not in a good way. I agree the 2002 Richlands game was a good game too.

I LOVE the Clintwood and Gate City series. Always an amazing game with two similar teams with similar play styles. Cant wait for this year's edition

It's a good one. I've never had a problem with any of the GC folks either. Clintwood it looks like will be around for another 3 seasons. I hope when DCHS is opened that GC is on the schedule.

There was a Graham vs. Gate City game back in 1997....that went to 3 overtimes....

And the infamous "hail mary" that Bluefield Threw to beat Graham 6-4.... that's right... it was 4-0 late until Bluefield threw a hail mary pass to the back of the end zone....

The 1991 ESPN game. How can I forget that one.

JJK rallying from down 14-0 at half and stuffing Justin Hamilton on 4th and 1 from just outside the goal line to win 21-14 in OT along with JJK's staggering upset of PV 19-14 stopping PV's 34-game winning streak. The JJK-CW game as far as actual games go may have been better,but the pandemonium and atmosphere during and after the PV game was as crazy as anything I have ever seen

It's a good one. I've never had a problem with any of the GC folks either. Clintwood it looks like will be around for another 3 seasons. I hope when DCHS is opened that GC is on the schedule.

I'm sure they will be. And it'll stay alive for when Scott County has to combine their schools too, and I'm sorry about that for you all. Has to be tough

I'm sure they will be. And it'll stay alive for when Scott County has to combine their schools too, and I'm sorry about that for you all. Has to be tough

Nah. Needs to be done. I'll always be a Greenwave and love watching them every Friday night/Saturday but it's the best thing for the kids. With the school that's being built I wish it'd been done when I was in school. It's gonna be awesome.

Isn't it strange that, outside the Snow Bowl, a lot of games that would qualify for Graham were heartbreaking losses?

'81 v. Martinsville, state semis. The drunk referee game. Ended the undefeated regular season.

'90 v. Rustburg, state semis. 16-14 hearbreaker. 2nd (and last) undefeated regular season in Graham history.

'93 v. Jefferson Forest, state semis. Just too much talent on the other side.

'95 v. King George, state title game. FINALLY, A GOOD ONE! Withstood the late charge.

'02 v. Grundy, region finals. Already covered.

'03 v. Gretna, state semis. Would be my choice. Graham had more heart, Gretna had the most talent.

'05 v. Richlands, region finals. Really traded punches with Richlands, just not enough.

That takes care of many of the heartbreaks. Except for King George, of course.

Nah. Needs to be done. I'll always be a Greenwave and love watching them every Friday night/Saturday but it's the best thing for the kids. With the school that's being built I wish it'd been done when I was in school. It's gonna be awesome.

I don't doubt that. I just think a lot of people would take it the wrong way. I'd love to see Scott do the same. You talk about a powerhouse in basketball and football.

A Richlands game not mentioned was in 1994 if I recall correctly. We beat Lee High 48-45. Stevie Dye had 6 td passes which is still a RHS record. I think Lee had a beast at RB named Eric Satterfield. Later in that years playoffs, we beat Lee 66-24.

Another good Graham game was Robert Henry's SR year vs. Tazewell...I have never seen a game quite like that. Tazewell kept Henry in check for most of 4 quarters and in about the last 5 min or so he just went off and ran wild...Tazewell had that game in the bag and found a way to give it away and Graham was good enough to take what was given to them. I don't even remember the score I just remember going to that one and watching it play out and it was a great game to watch.

The GC 28 CW 27 game was 08. That was the last good game GC played that year. I think that was the year a horrible PV team came to GC and took up almost the entire 3rd quarter with one drive. Lost to Lebanon in the Region Championship game after easily handling them in the regular season. The 07 GC team was the one to get blasted by Gretna in the Finals.

Does anyone remember the Grundy vs Richlands game in 02?, Richlands was down I think it was 16-7 with about 2:30 left in the 4th quarter and came back to win 21-16?, The scores maybe a little off but they are close, we got a pick 6 and a punt return for a touchdown?

As a spectator the two best games I have seen in person both came from the 99 season. Both OT games. One is the Honaker/Clintwood Region D title game that Ironlung has already mentioned. Clintwood seemed to stay in Cover 3 and Miller would throw a hitch guys all over the place. Then get inside the 20 Clintwood would stop them. Hamilton was wore out by the 4th, and I sat there with my uncle and called about every play Cwood ran it had become so predictable. Even when they put Hamilton back in for their last offensive play in regulation and he threw a halfback pass.

Also in 99 regular season, JJ Kelly @ Rye Cove. Kelly was coming off their first win over JI Burton in while and got up 30-6 or so by the half. RC came back just pounding the ball and forcing turnovers to tie it up 36 all. JJK got the ball first and scored, but didnt convert the 2pt conversion. RC scored and punched in the 2 pt conversion.

For a third, I would also have to throw in the 97 state semis game with Jefferson Forest @ Gate City. That was a head knocker with GC winning the game on the prettiest ugly kick in GC history.

Since 01 I just havent been a spectator to too many games, but have seen some dandies.

Edited by 1inStripes
Added a 3rd game

Does anyone remember the Grundy vs Richlands game in 02?, Richlands was down I think it was 16-7 with about 2:30 left in the 4th quarter and came back to win 21-16?, The scores maybe a little off but they are close, we got a pick 6 and a punt return for a touchdown?

That was my junior year at grundy, for the life of me i cannot remember the final score, but we had richlands beat, we had just got a safety and they were about to kick off to us, but richlands onside kicked it and got it back, we never really recovered from that. Crazy last couple of minutes.

And the '02 regional Vs Graham was bradshaws junior year as well, same class as me. Great game, the weather did slow bradshaw and the rest of them down, which pretty much evened the playing field.