Idea for a new school schedule

About this time 2 years ago, I was taking lots of education classes in college and we talked a lot about the current school system and how we could improve it. Well, one late night/early morning, I couldn't sleep and these questions from class were filling my head, so I decided to surf the web and do a little research and came up with my own idea for a new school calendar. Some of this idea wasn't mine originally (and might be used somewhere already) but this is just the random thought I had on a new schedule. I know there are some holes in this plan, but I just want to hear opinions from as many people as possible on this. Remember, it was just a school project from a while back (don't even remember the grade I got on it):

"I couldn't sleep last night, so at about 1:30 in the morning, I came up with this:

Right now, the standard schedule for public schools (not counting those already experimenting with different schedules) includes 7 hour days (averaged), 180 shool days in a year (36 school weeks), a total of about 1260 hours (more than most schools around the world), and we go by an agrarian schedule, which means that school starts in late August-early September and lets out for the summer months in late May-early June with about a two week break around Christmas. This schedule is confusing to remember (especially with all the teacher work days and holidays) and with the long break in December and even longer break over the summer, kids tend to forget their lessons they learned before the break, which means that a good deal of time is wasted reteaching them what they forgot.

My idea is to start school on the first Monday in January and end the year in December. Students would go to school every other week and the weeks they go will include Monday-Saturday. I know that most of you may be thinking "What?! Go on Saturdays?!", but here's what it looks like if you look at the long run: go to school 6 days in a row, then have 8 days off. Also, I would add about an hour to make the school days 8 hours long (using John S. Battle High School's schedule as an example that would mean going from 8:15 AM to 4:15 PM). By going every other week year round, the total number of school weeks decreases from about 36 weeks to 26 weeks in the year and would drop from 180 days to 156 days, so adding an hour to the school day would help to balance it out. The school year would then be about 1248 total hours, which is 12 hours short of a year consisting of 180 7-hour days (or actually 12 hours more than John Battle's schedule, which consists of 180 6-hour and 50-minute days). Even if it ends up cutting hours out of the school year, remember this: the students would be going year round and teachers wouldn't have to waste so much time reteaching the kids what they forgot over long breaks. Also remember that students in other countries don't spend nearly as many hours in school as our kids do and have way better grades. Also, the 12 hours lost wouldn't even add up to 2 full 7-hour school days.

There was one problem, however, that I discovered when making the schedule. What would happen if a holiday (Christmas, Thanksgiving, or certain holidays that only certain schools observe, such as MLK day) fell on a school week? Well that's simple. This schedule is flexible and would give two options. The first would be to close schools the week of the holiday and reopen during either the off week before that holiday week or the one after. This would mean, of course, that students would either go two weeks in a row, then be off two weeks in a row before the schedule goes back to normal, or vice versa. Option two would include taking either the day of the holiday off or that day plus a few days around it (depending on how big the holiday is and how likely students are to go on vacation around it) and making up just those days either the off week before or after. I personally like option two better because giving students two weeks off would bring back the problem of forgetting what they were taught the weeks before, such as how our current schedule works around the two weeks off in December.

All in all, I think this type of schedule would actually work. Kids won't get bored sitting in school day after day for what seems like an eternity and then suddenly have a few months off to forget everything they learned and there would be plenty of time for vacation, sports and such during the 8 day off weeks. Also, a note about school sports: the schedules for sports wouldn't change since they are played by the season and some sports even play or practice during winter and summer breaks. Coincidentally, this type of schedule would actually benefit sports since most of the sports activities could be done in off weeks so that the students will have less distractions for their work during school weeks. Students who even have jobs would benefit as well since I am sure that most businesses will adapt to this schedule and give these working students plenty of hours during off weeks and plenty of rest during school weeks so they can focus on their school work.

So far, I can't find anything really wrong with this type of schedule that is too big to handle (other than people being too stubborn to try it, despite some of these same people begging for change to our schools). If anyone does see a problem with it, please let me know. I love a good challenge!"

I usually like your ideas TD, but this would be a nightmare IMHO, both for the parents and the students...not to mention the teachers. Summer vacations are battery chargers for all three. Even if you can't afford to go anywhere while on summer vacation, at least you don't have school. Many use this time to reconnect with family out of state, etc. Many families who are victims of divorce use much of this time to spend it with the parent who doesn't have custody. Sorry, not a fan.

Edited by blueinbama

horrible idea...aside from the other stuff mentioned, getting kids to do anything on down time is hard enough, give them 8 days off between learning anything and you would be lucky if they knew how to do anything by the time SOL's rolled around.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Like I said, this was a couple of years ago and it was just a discussion for class (I just happened to run across it again while looking through some old Facebook stuff and thought I'd share). I've got a really different mindset now after all that time and I don't even really agree with my own idea 100% now.

I didn't really talk about it enough originally, but the babysitter thing was something my teacher brought up and that would be the biggest problem. One idea I had for that was to use the schools in the off weeks like community centers (and of course many areas already have certain types of community centers: YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, etc.). The kids could still go to the school simply to hang out with their friends, play sports, use the computers/library, show movies and such in the auditorium, etc. And another idea (please don't laugh at this, I know the economy's bad, but it's still an idea) was for the government or someone to help pay for babysitters, daycare, or whatever services are needed, especially for low income families.

But you guys really don't think that having 8 days off every other week year round will be enough of a recharge for the students/teachers? In most cases, that's more than enough time to go on a big vacation and do lots of things without being too long of a break. Overall, the kids still spend about the same amount of hours in class for the year, but have more days off to do other things (it would be easier for the high school students who play more sports or could get a job, but I know it'd be a nightmare for a lot of people for the younger kids).

I think you should have 45 minute classes and stick to that year round. I think June - August should be down time and start back Sept 1st. That gives you plenty of snow days and worst case you would have to make up a few saturdays in March-May if needed to get the time in.

I don't even like school starting in August...I think June - August should be down time for everyone.

you could put a 15 min break in there and everyone would have 45 min for a lunch break...run school from 8am to 3 or 330 every day...should be plenty of time and you would keep the kids moving around every so often so they dont get bored.

There is an old saying that the mind can only retain as much as the ass will allow...after you sit in a room for 45 min you are ready to get up and move around.

I think you should have 45 minute classes and stick to that year round. I think June - August should be down time and start back Sept 1st. That gives you plenty of snow days and worst case you would have to make up a few saturdays in March-May if needed to get the time in.

I don't even like school starting in August...I think June - August should be down time for everyone.

you could put a 15 min break in there and everyone would have 45 min for a lunch break...run school from 8am to 3 or 330 every day...should be plenty of time and you would keep the kids moving around every so often so they dont get bored.

There is an old saying that the mind can only retain as much as the ass will allow...after you sit in a room for 45 min you are ready to get up and move around.

A 45 minute lunch break?! That would be a dream come true for most students and faculty! But you're right about sitting in a classroom for long periods of time. Washington County high schools just switched to the 4 90-minute classes a day block schedule. In a class where you just sit for lecture, reading, writing, or whatever, that would be terrible. That's why many teacher education classes in college try to update the whole way we teach. I know Virginia Intermont pushed that idea really hard in our classes/training. The idea is to stop simply lecturing the kids in some boring class and actually get them working together, more involved, and moving around (even take breaks if you have to, which I'm sure they will in these 90-minute classes). They're trying to create a whole new generation of teachers that will replace the old way of teaching in the classroom so that kids will learn better and won't hate it so much. Of course, it's a lot harder for classes in high school than in elementary and for classes like civics and math, but classes like the arts and I'm sure PE (though maybe not for the teacher) should love it because those are classes where you need a lot more than just 45 minutes.

^^^This^^^

A 45 minute lunch break?! That would be a dream come true for most students and faculty! But you're right about sitting in a classroom for long periods of time. Washington County high schools just switched to the 4 90-minute classes a day block schedule. In a class where you just sit for lecture, reading, writing, or whatever, that would be terrible. That's why many teacher education classes in college try to update the whole way we teach. I know Virginia Intermont pushed that idea really hard in our classes/training. The idea is to stop simply lecturing the kids in some boring class and actually get them working together, more involved, and moving around (even take breaks if you have to, which I'm sure they will in these 90-minute classes). They're trying to create a whole new generation of teachers that will replace the old way of teaching in the classroom so that kids will learn better and won't hate it so much. Of course, it's a lot harder for classes in high school than in elementary and for classes like civics and math, but classes like the arts and I'm sure PE (though maybe not for the teacher) should love it because those are classes where you need a lot more than just 45 minutes.

4th and 5th period lunches...or just one lunch break of 45 min after 4th period if the school is small enough to only need 1 lunch session. Why not? gives the kids and teachers a break and time to sit down and do whatever or socialize a little if needed. I dont see why you cant do it that way?

also...you can gear any class to be taught around 45 min periods...you dont need more than that, you just might have to break it up a little...the more focused your kids are and the less sore the ass is from sitting in one place for so long...the less bored they are...the more they will learn and actually absorb.

I'd put the 15 min break in just before the last period of the day...gives you a little break in there before you finish off the day...could be a 10 min break if needed...just something to split it up a little more.

I think block scheduling is a terrible idea, personally, in classes that aren't gym or arts/band/choir.

Research shows that the most is retained in the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes of a class. The 45-50 minute structure helps to accomplish this.

Bad idea imo. After the week off the 1st day back would have to be purely review.

I would like to see classes tought through the summer, maybe just 2 classes from 11:00-2:30; 1 serious class and 1 elective. Also a good way to make sure students get atleast 1 good meal a day(sad but true)

Personally I always liked block scheduling. The teachers have to break the individual blocks up(short videos work really well), 90 minutes of lecture for teenagers is not at all productive.

4th and 5th period lunches...or just one lunch break of 45 min after 4th period if the school is small enough to only need 1 lunch session. Why not? gives the kids and teachers a break and time to sit down and do whatever or socialize a little if needed. I dont see why you cant do it that way?

also...you can gear any class to be taught around 45 min periods...you dont need more than that, you just might have to break it up a little...the more focused your kids are and the less sore the ass is from sitting in one place for so long...the less bored they are...the more they will learn and actually absorb.

I'd put the 15 min break in just before the last period of the day...gives you a little break in there before you finish off the day...could be a 10 min break if needed...just something to split it up a little more.

I wasn't against your 45 minute lunch idea. I really think that would be a great idea. Kids and faculty don't get nearly enough time to eat and cool off.

Also, with the shorter classes, it's kind of hard on a lot of teachers because things like the SOL's demands so much in the lessons to be taught (even in classes that they don't test in like art and music). Basically, teachers have to get in loads of things the SOL's call for without enough time (especially when testing time rolls around, it's chaos for many non-test classes). It would be a lot easier if schools simply went by the national standards like private schools do. I know that in art, there are over 30 SOL's for each grade level and art lessons can take weeks to teach with the 45 minute classes, but there are less than 20 national standards and they're pretty much common sense stuff.

How about this as another alternative: instead of having a full week off, how about going every week, but going a different amount of days each week. For example, you could go Monday-Friday one week, then only Monday-Wednesday the next, back and forth....or another way, but basically go a full week one week, then have a short week. And sometime in the summer you could squeeze in a long summer break (though not too long) or have a couple of vacations spread out in the school year (instead of having one long summer break and one sort of long winter break, have a couple of breaks that are somewhere in between). Just as long as you could find a way to space the breaks out throughout the year and basically go to school year round. That way the teachers wouldn't have to waste so much time reteaching everything after summer break. The kids would still be used to going to school when they reach the next grade and can move on to the next level of classes quicker (and after a while, we could end up pushing more advanced classes like algebra down to a lower grade level, like they do in other, more academically successful countries).

the thing is, in regards to SOL's...I think the kids would actually learn and retain more with 45 min classes...so you would have smarter kids overall...not just the ones that will do better with any given circumstance, but also the kids that don't have the attention span to do as well as other kids....i think it would work.

The county I teach/coach at in Georgia has gone to a 160 calendar instead of the 180 day. Because of the financial crunch, the county saved around $200,000 dollars in utility cost by not starting school until after Labor Day (the power company charges the school system for the entire school year based on usage for the month of August). Our school day starts at 7:30 am and goes to 3:10. 7 period day. We used to be on block schedule but to cut cost, we switched over to 7 period day. We start school the first week of September. Get 3 days off for Thanksgiving. Normal Christmas break. Federal Holidays. One week off in Feburary for Mid-winter break. One week off in April for Spring Break. Get out the last week of May. What happened to our test scores? They went UP!!! Some counties are experimenting with the 4 day week. They keep the normal 180 day calendar, but take Mondays off. They do add an hour to the school day.

The county I teach/coach at in Georgia has gone to a 160 calendar instead of the 180 day. Because of the financial crunch, the county saved around $200,000 dollars in utility cost by not starting school until after Labor Day (the power company charges the school system for the entire school year based on usage for the month of August). Our school day starts at 7:30 am and goes to 3:10. 7 period day. We used to be on block schedule but to cut cost, we switched over to 7 period day. We start school the first week of September. Get 3 days off for Thanksgiving. Normal Christmas break. Federal Holidays. One week off in Feburary for Mid-winter break. One week off in April for Spring Break. Get out the last week of May. What happened to our test scores? They went UP!!! Some counties are experimenting with the 4 day week. They keep the normal 180 day calendar, but take Mondays off. They do add an hour to the school day.

there you go.

That sounds pretty GACoach, and you cant argue with the results.

I dont know how the 4 day week would work for educating students but I would much rather work four 10s than five 8s!

The SOLs really arent that big of a deal for teachers. Sure there are alot of things to cover but once they have taught the class for a year or two the teachers(in general) have it down to a science. The problem isint getting all of the stuff in, the problem is the class doesent get to expand on things the kids like or class projects/field trips/etc. The SOLs take the fun out of the learning experience. Not to knock a subject but the SOLs are perfect for Math and terrible for everything else. And I can tell you from experience the SOLs do very little to help prepare kids for college, from my experience as a history major they did nothing to help me get ready for college. The SOLs eliminate the writing component of education and thats what 85% of what college was for me.

Ok, rants over

Edited by redtiger

I like that. If it works, maybe more schools should experiment with it.

That sounds pretty GACoach, and you cant argue with the results.

I dont know how the 4 day week would work for educating students but I would much rather work four 10s than five 8s!

The SOLs really arent that big of a deal for teachers. Sure there are alot of things to cover but once they have taught the class for a year or two the teachers(in general) have it down to a science. The problem isint getting all of the stuff in, the problem is the class doesent get to expand on things the kids like or class projects/field trips/etc. The SOLs take the fun out of the learning experience. Not to knock a subject but the SOLs are perfect for Math and terrible for everything else. And I can tell you from experience the SOLs do very little to help prepare kids for college, from my experience as a history major they did nothing to help me get ready for college. The SOLs eliminate the writing component of education and thats what 85% of what college was for me.

Ok, rants over

I was going to be a history teacher (spent my first year in college studying it before I switched to art) but I didn't like how the SOL's restricted you. You couldn't really teach all the fun stuff in history (not enough anyway) because you had to teach for the tests, which are really boring. I agree that the SOL's do work for some classes like Math, but for most, I think they should do away with them and replace them with something a bit less demanding (or at least do away with the tests....students already have enough pressure with exams).

I don't like the 4 day week idea...would rather just see a 5 day week as outlined in the prior posts...I think 2 days off with the occasional long weekend for a holiday is plenty...just my opinion.

Not so much class time but what about what is being taught. I think classes should be taught on how to do your taxes, balance a checkbook and learn about stuff like mortgages. That will be much more important for a kid than what happened during the Boxer Rebellion. Just my opinion.