Grundy Might Just Make History This Weekend:

http://www.b.weather.com/weather/tenday/Grundy+VA+USVA0334:1:US

And for perspective, here's Grundy's all-time records.

http://www.b.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USVA0334

Not only would Grundy have its first 100-degree day, 103 on Friday would obliterate the previous record of 95. That's like Usain Bolt running the 100-meter sprint in 9.04. It wouldn't ever be touched. And for some more perspective, every day from Thursday through next Wednesday would either tie or set an all-time record if viewed individually.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For other locales:

1. Richlands: 97 on Friday would set the all-time high by 1 degree.

2. Tazewell: 95 on Friday would come within 1 degree of the all-time high. Would be the earliest 90+ day on record.

3. Bluefield: 94 on Friday would set a June high by 3 degrees, and would tie for 2nd all-time.

4. Princeton: 95 on Friday would set a June high by 4 degrees, and would be 2nd all-time.

5. Bland: 96 on Friday would set the all-time record high by 1 degree.

6. Wytheville: 96 on Friday would tie the all-time June record high.

7. Bristol: 100 on Friday would be the earliest 100-degree day on record.

8. Jonesville: 104 on Friday would set a June high by 4 degrees, and would be 2nd all-time. Also 6 degrees off the all-time VA record.

9. Big Stone Gap: 100 on Friday would put it in Grundy's league: first 100-degree day and 5 points above the record.

And, for you college folks, Blacksburg and Charlottesville both are set to set June records.

I've been to a bunch of shows...summer festivals like Lollapalooza and such, worst one being at Rockingham in 95 or 96 when Metallica headlined Lollapalooza in August....good god it was hot and you couldn't buy a foot of shade....water was $3 a bottle and they ran out early on...it was hot, humid, and dusty all at once with nothing to drink. No one died that I know of...by the time The Ramones started playing people were dropping like flies though.

I don't know what the rules are, but they should allow people to bring their own water.

I've been to a bunch of shows...summer festivals like Lollapalooza and such, worst one being at Rockingham in 95 or 96 when Metallica headlined Lollapalooza in August....good god it was hot and you couldn't buy a foot of shade....water was $3 a bottle and they ran out early on...it was hot, humid, and dusty all at once with nothing to drink. No one died that I know of...by the time The Ramones started playing people were dropping like flies though.

I don't know what the rules are, but they should allow people to bring their own water.

Mitchell's been very bad in the past about not letting people bring in outside food/drink. I understand the reasoning to a point, but it's not "oh, it's just a little warm outside" hot. We're talking "it hasn't been this hot in this place in recorded history" hot. I hope they relax the rules a bit.

Rockingham's used to heat, though. They average 90 in August, and their record (also set in August, though in 2007) is 108. That's a +12 difference from Bluefield in summer. Another example, I went to Charlottesville for a week in July, and the daytime high was no less than 99 each day. I came back to SWVA and needed to wear a light jacket...in July...because low 80s in a breeze felt too cool.

Not saying that it will happen, but people up here just ain't used to that...

Grundy has seriously never been over 100? Is that due to the mountains or something? I feel like plenty of locales, perhaps closer to I81 have hit 100's every few years.

I could also be talking about my ass. There's always that.

Mitchell's been very bad in the past about not letting people bring in outside food/drink. I understand the reasoning to a point, but it's not "oh, it's just a little warm outside" hot. We're talking "it hasn't been this hot in this place in recorded history" hot. I hope they relax the rules a bit.

Rockingham's used to heat, though. They average 90 in August, and their record (also set in August, though in 2007) is 108. That's a +12 difference from Bluefield in summer. Another example, I went to Charlottesville for a week in July, and the daytime high was no less than 99 each day. I came back to SWVA and needed to wear a light jacket...in July...because low 80s in a breeze felt too cool.

Not saying that it will happen, but people up here just ain't used to that...

Last year if you tried to get a bottle of water into the place they basicly threw you back across the fence hahaha. They said NO Food Drinks or umbrellas then when you got inside the vendors did not take cash you had to go get in a line to buy tickets and then you paid for the food/drinks with that.

I don't see how they won't let you bring water in now.

No way the vendors will supply enough water for everybody who wants to buy one. Like I said, 10 hours in 90+ degree weather is going to be a disaster.

I still doubt they let you do it. The gates don't open until 4 and music doesn't start playing until 4:30. The big names aren't going to be on until around 7 if the schedule runs according to plan. By the time people really start rolling in there the heat shouldn't be unbearable.

I still doubt they let you do it. The gates don't open until 4 and music doesn't start playing until 4:30. The big names aren't going to be on until around 7 if the schedule runs according to plan. By the time people really start rolling in there the heat shouldn't be unbearable.

igQzB.gif

Edited by bluefieldRocks

Grundy has seriously never been over 100? Is that due to the mountains or something? I feel like plenty of locales, perhaps closer to I81 have hit 100's every few years.

I could also be talking about my ass. There's always that.

I remember days of it getting over 100 back in the 80s...problem is the official temps were taken up at the airport for years...i think they take them at Riverview now...but the airport being on top of the mountain it's always cooler up there. I remember seeing 104 in August once at the bank on the way to two a days...talk about misery.

I remember days of it getting over 100 back in the 80s...problem is the official temps were taken up at the airport for years...i think they take them at Riverview now...but the airport being on top of the mountain it's always cooler up there. I remember seeing 104 in August once at the bank on the way to two a days...talk about misery.

A lot of those readings are due to black/gray parking lots retaining heat and the temperature gauges being low enough to the ground to capture some of the radiation.

A lot of those readings are due to black/gray parking lots retaining heat and the temperature gauges being low enough to the ground to capture some of the radiation.

yeah...but the old rusty Coke thermometer hanging in the shade just off the back porch hasn't lied to us in 40+ years lol.

The "official" temps are always going to be varied a little either way...the humidity and how it feels will always be the real ass kicker...110 out in AZ is not so bad...but you throw 95 and high humidity together and you will be miserable.

speaking of the humidity, I was suprised at the difference in how a temperature feels here compared to Richmond. Richmond is crazy hot!

Thank you, James River!

True to a point. At some point, you'd rather be in 110 with 7% humidity than 100 with 77% humidity.

Wrong, again. At NO point would I rather be in 100* or 110*, regardless of humidity, period...upper 80s is hot enough for me...

BS! 110*F is 110*F...that's hot, period...

i am like you, 80s is where i'd like to stay...but 110 in AZ wasn't that bad really...dry heat...i'm a big man and i didn't even sweat lol...90 in Charleston with high humidity and you walk outside and your clothes are stuck to you and you sweat non stop for no reason lol....that sucks.

i am like you, 80s is where i'd like to stay...but 110 in AZ wasn't that bad really...dry heat...i'm a big man and i didn't even sweat lol...90 in Charleston with high humidity and you walk outside and your clothes are stuck to you and you sweat non stop for no reason lol....that sucks.

Dry heat is still hot enough to pop popcorn...no thank you...

presto-poplite-hot-air-corn-popper-parts.jpeg

I have a road trip starting this weekend that will take me to St. Louis among other mid-west locations. Forecasts are calling for 106+ and typical high humidity. That is the kind of weather that when I lived out there made me not leave the house until after 9 p.m.

Stinking' hot

Few years ago, we flew into Phoenix at 11 p.m. Pilot made announcement the temp was 98.

A few days later the temps reached 116...this was late May!!! Now, 116 is H O T...blazing HOT...dry heat or not. No way, anyhow, anyway, whatever...I could ever get used to those kinds of temps days on end.

We, then drove to Flagstaff...SNOW on the ground...no kidding. Had to buy a jacket.