Which team from this area has the best chance to go to State?

BlueTornadoFan

Which team from this area, in your opinion, has the best chance of going to state and possibly winning it?

I think the Blue Tornado has a chance to go to State Semi's because there isn't really another team that could match them in the region but who knows?

What about Union, or Gate City?

Any chance Clintwood repeats?

Gate City has lost some really good football players over the past couple of years...not sure what they have on the way up, but they have a lot of big shoes to fill.

What you all said about Clintwood is correct. I mean the only ones that believed all season they would win state were the players. They lost a lot of key player's from last years Team........but going into last season they were without a lot of good players from the year before, John Dotson C/LB, Cameron Vanover TE/LB, Mancel Powers RB/CB, Trey Meade QB/SS, Cody Torez WR/CB, Nick Lewis OT/DT, Travis Flemming OG, and a couple more.

This years Seniors has a bunch of talent, what they lack in size they make up for it with speed, strength, and good football sense. I look for a repeat if they continue to play as a Team!!

Edited by hawk

Clintwood has a solid shot imo, IF Mullins can adjust to the personn they have. UNion has the pieces to make a run but I dont they have enough to win state or even make it to the title game.

agreed, the wood has a shot, if, they can replace some linemen,believe backfield will be ok, jv squads sucked last year, but in talkin to coach bobby meade, he said the jv squads played to learn, if they won fine, if they didnt fine.

What you all said about Clintwood is correct. I mean the only ones that believed all season they would win state were the players. They lost a lot of key player's from last years Team........but going into last season they were without a lot of good players from the year before, John Dotson C/LB, Cameron Vanover TE/LB, Mancel Powers RB/CB, Trey Meade QB/SS, Cody Torez WR/CB, Nick Lewis OT/DT, Travis Flemming OG, and a couple more.

The years Seniors has a bunch of talent, what they lack in size they make up for it with speed, strength, and good football sense. I look for a repeat if they continue to play as a Team!!

you got that right,TEAM

Im out of the know on WV football so maybe someone can answer this for me.

Are the local WV A teams just not very good or are the A schools from the rest of the state just alot better? It never seems like any of the SWV A schools are ever contenders, or really the AA schools either(outside of Bluefield of course), why is that?

I know declining enrollment has hit the area hard, it has hit SWVA too and the SWVA schools have been down as of late but have still made it to the state championship game and even won a few.

Edited by redtiger

Are the local WV A teams just not very good or are the A schools from the rest of the state just alot better?

-------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the State of WV class A schools are better.

The best in WV Class A is Wheeling Central Catholic and Williamstown.

They both get transfers that could and have started on AAA teams.

How would they have a advantage?

The private schools in WV aren't really big enrollment numbers.

Counting both Girls and Boys

Wheeling Central (242)

Charleston Catholic (216) (No Football Team)

Weirton Madonna (185)

Huntington St Joe (140) (No Football Team)

Parkersburg Catholic (128)

Moundsville Bishop Donahue (128)

Clarksburg Notre Dame (119)

Morgantown Trinity (104) (No Football Team)

Beckley greater Christian (64) (No Football Team)

Biggest Public School in Class A is Greenbrier West at (428)

How would they have a advantage?

The private schools in WV aren't really big enrollment numbers.

Counting both Girls and Boys

Wheeling Central (242)

Charleston Catholic (216) (No Football Team)

Weirton Madonna (185)

Huntington St Joe (140) (No Football Team)

Parkersburg Catholic (128)

Moundsville Bishop Donahue (128)

Clarksburg Notre Dame (119)

Morgantown Trinity (104) (No Football Team)

Beckley greater Christian (64) (No Football Team)

Biggest Public School in Class A is Greenbrier West at (428)

Probably comparing them to Private Schools in VA and NC which recruit players.

It is against VHSL rules for Public Schools to recruit. I don't think anybody wants me to post that section of the handbook again...

It might be against the rules but it does happen everywhere.

Player A talks to Player B who plays for Team B about coming to team A to play and go to school.

That's the most common form of recruiting.

It is against VHSL rules for Public Schools to recruit. I don't think anybody wants me to post that section of the handbook again...

It might be against the rules but it does happen everywhere.

Player A talks to Player B who plays for Team B about coming to team A to play and go to school.

That's the most common form of recruiting.

Thats not recruiting, thats talk. Unless im mistaken Private school coaches in VA can go into players homes and actively recruit them. HUGE advantage

I would think the Union is still about 2-3 years from having a solid team, they have good players now and will the next couple of years, but it will be around 3 years before they really start coming into theirselves. The kids that are in the 6th-7th-8th grade have some great potential to bring back some tradition to football back down in the Gap. These youngsters are the offspring of past chamionship blood and look pretty good at this point.

I think VA High is a couple of years away, they need to hit the weightroom hard for a couple of years before they have the ability to make anything happen. BUT, they do have some talent and quickness so maybe they can make some noise.