Rivalry History

stu_bean

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been much of a rivalry for a while......

But like they said up until the 90s it was fairly one sided in Tazewell's favor. Still no matter the outcome neither team like the other regardless.

Can't wait to see it ! I have played in it and watched it and it is a special game no matter what the state of either program is in at the time.

I have family and many friends in Tazewell that I love and think very highly of, but the week of that game, we don't speak very often unless it is to tell each other how bad we are going to beat the other one, and depending on how the game goes........we may not speak for several day after.......lol

But, and i know this is probably blasphemy here in Richlands, but when Tazewell played for the state back in the mid 80's, i was up there cheering them on and I still pull for them when they are in the playoff's ( unless they are playing us of course ) or playing a team that's not from Southwest Virginia, because they are still Tazewell co brothers and i always want to see Southwest Virginia and especially Tazewell Co teams do well !

I'd love to see more stuff like this in our area. There are tons of neat little stories for almost every school. If any of you are amateur film-makers and hopeful journalist, this would be a neat undertaking.

But, and i know this is probably blasphemy here in Richlands, but when Tazewell played for the state back in the mid 80's, i was up there cheering them on and I still pull for them when they are in the playoff's ( unless they are playing us of course ) or playing a team that's not from Southwest Virginia, because they are still Tazewell co brothers and i always want to see Southwest Virginia and especially Tazewell Co teams do well !

I'll echo that same statement. It may kill me to pull for a Tornado, they are still part of the county and would much rather see them win than someone from the talent pool area of the state.

I'd love to see more stuff like this in our area. There are tons of neat little stories for almost every school. If any of you are amateur film-makers and hopeful journalist, this would be a neat undertaking.

It' be a hell of an ambitious undertaking but I've long played around with the idea of writing a book filled of stories of football in this area

It'd be a hell of an ambitious undertaking but I've long played around with the idea of writing a book filled of stories/history of football in this area

You double posted man, lol.

And as far as the rivalry, there isn't anything like it, and what the other posters said pretty much sums it up about it. Like you're from Richlands and have a couple friends in Tazewell, and when the rivalry game rolls around, you just take sides. It's fun, but after a while, it gets boring blowing out Tazewell. I hope they improve themselves as a program going forward. I'll root for Tazewell in the playoffs, unless if they are playing us. ;)

But like they said up until the 90s it was fairly one sided in Tazewell's favor. Still no matter the outcome neither team like the other regardless.

They fail to see that since all they can remember is the past 20 years!!!!

Smeltz is doing a great job... Love everything I have read and seen on the teaser video's!

Just for arguements sake, does anyone know what the record is over the history or where to find it?

I know probably 4 or 5 years ago someone had a flier with all the results on it and at that time I want to say Tazewell was up by 1 game. Richlands has won every one since so I am going to guess the record right now is Richlands by either 3 or 4. I maybe wrong on the exact numbers but I was thinking something like 49-46

Just for arguements sake, does anyone know what the record is over the history or where to find it?

That brings to light an interesting, troubling, and unique issue at Richlands.....

All of the official athletic records were burned in the early 1970s. This was allegedly done by the basketball coach, who was coming off the heels of an 0-21 season at the time. Aside from its fodder for amusing anecdotes, this has caused some practical difficulties over the years. For starters, it's the only thing keeping Ernie Hicks out of the VHSL Hall of Fame.

If someone could obtain this information and post it here, that would have some tangible value beyond simple entertainment.

Having a book titled "Tazewell County Football" and not including Graham is like having a book called "Virginia Collegiate Football" and not including VT...

But why would you involve Graham in a story about the rivalry of Tazewell and Richlands?

That brings to light an interesting, troubling, and unique issue at Richlands.....

All of the official athletic records were burned in the early 1970s. This was allegedly done by the basketball coach, who was coming off the heels of an 0-21 season at the time. Aside from its fodder for amusing anecdotes, this has caused some practical difficulties over the years. For starters, it's the only thing keeping Ernie Hicks out of the VHSL Hall of Fame.

If someone could obtain this information and post it here, that would have some tangible value beyond simple entertainment.

Is there not records kept by the VHSL or was it up to the schools to do this?

Is there not records kept by the VHSL or was it up to the schools to do this?

If someone got the time, they can search back through all these threads, it has been posted before....

The name of it is The Tazewell County Football Tazewell Bulldogs vs. Richlands Blue Tornado Rivalry documentary.

instead of tazwell county football use highschool rivalarys tazewell high and richland high. as some said tazwell county football has more than 2 teams that have rivalarys. i think ghs and ths and rhs have had big riivalarys in the past. but if you want to exclude ghs then just use the 2 highschool names and nothing would be said. when you talk about graham beaver that is what you use you dont say tazwell county football and mercer county football graham beaver. then you exclude the other teams in both counties.