I saw something yesterday...

I have no proof of seeing it other than the memory in my head. Lots of folks would call me a liar because they've never seen it. Authorities say they don't exist around here, although, some folks say they do. I have heard stories about them from an old-timer who has witnessed one (or two, maybe). I am 100% sure of what I saw, even if it was only for a brief moment in time, its image is etched in my memory. It was beautiful...powerful...fleeting. I'll probably never see another and will probably never mention it again, as most will say I'm full of bull. However, I now know for certain, they are here...

Probably a mountain lion. I've had neighbors catch them on game cameras. I've seen the pictures myself. Not supposed to be in this part of America, but one was killed in Connecticut a few years ago. That lion was tagged...in SOUTH DAKOTA. The range on those animals is incredible.

Edited by UVAObserver

Well, about 10 years back....I saw the same thing while going down wilderness road. It leaped into the road took one quick look at me coming towards it...then leaped to the other side of the road and was gone in an instant. Everybody kept telling me that I was full of you know what.... but I know what I saw.

I saw a mountain lion one time, on my way to Big Tumbling one morning. Ran right across the road in front of me about 5 miles belove the Assembly of God Church came off the mountain on one side and went in to a field on the other side of the road. I came to a full stop in the middle of the road to make sure I saw what I thunk I saw run across the road in front of me.

Well, about 10 years back....I saw the same thing while going down wilderness road. It leaped into the road took one quick look at me coming towards it...then leaped to the other side of the road and was gone in an instant. Everybody kept telling me that I was full of you know what.... but I know what I saw.

This is what gets my goad about state and federal game and preservation agencies. They will use any shred of marginal evidence to support claims of the existence of some animals, but will "deny, deny, deny" literally hundreds of claims, many with pictorial evidence, that others exist. This particularly seems to happen with larger non-bird animals (a "it's big, so we must see it with our own two eyes" logic), with the excuse that "they escaped from captivity" or my favorite, "they must have been kept as pets and released". Like 1 person on every block gets a cougar for Christmas or something.

I've seen the pictures off my neighbor's game tracker. It's a freaking mountain lion. It's not a bobcat. It's not a lynx. It's not a coyote. It's not a feral pet. Mountain. Lion.

And why shouldn't there be small populations of mountain lions in Appalachia?

(1) It's not particularly well-explored, thanks to geography. Lots of places seldom traversed here.

(2) Few natural predators. Aside from a coyote or a very rare bobcat, that's it.

(3) Abundant food sources. They could thrive on deer (elk, too, now) alone.

(4) Wide range. One male can dominate up to 30 square miles. That's a LOT of room.

(5) Questionable "extinction" in the first place. Though the last one was caught in the 1930s, the claims haven't stopped. For the one that was killed in Connecticut, the state/federal agencies went to outstanding lengths to claim that the mountain lion was from a population in South Dakota...

Edited by UVAObserver

I know exactly what Gman saw. It was the "goad" in Observers first sentence of the last comment. These goads are so rare I had to Google this particular goad to figure out what it meant. Not to be confused with "getting my goat", which no one seems to know where that expression comes from, the goad is something gotten when someone gets their goat gotten...I think.

So I explored further, and found this:

The other day Chuck and I were discussing the phrase “get your goat.†I said, “It’s not goat, it’s goad."

He replied, “What? It’s goat."

"No. Think about it; how many people do you know who have a goat to get?"

He quickly tried to change the subject knowing that it is pointless to argue with me. We’ve been down this road before and he has learned that when it comes to language and history, what I don’t know as fact I invent.

So, who's right? Is the phrase "get my goat" or "get my goad"?

I decided to do a little research by submitting to the only bastion of authority and light and truth: I Googled both phrases, “Get your goat†and “Get your goad."

Here are theories:

The phrase “get your goat†comes from a formerly common but now outdated practice in horse racing where the owners would stable their horses with goats to calm them down. Thus, to get someones goat would anger the horses and, I suppose, render them ineffective.

Is that true? Will the presence of a goat really pacify an agitated horse? Sounds like a question for MythBusters. Anyway, I don't buy it.

Another post refers to a dictionary definition of “goat†as prison slang meaning “anger.†This doesn't sound plausible. I've never been inside a prison, but I suspect that when inmates are goading one another, "goat" isn't the first bit of slang to roll off the tongue.

Here is the most compelling explanation, I think: aside from “goad†as a verb - to goad someone into doing something, a goad is a pointy stick used to urge an animal into obedience. I further submit that the Bible provides very early references to a “goad†as something one could “get.†See Judges 3:31, 1 Samuel 13:21, Ecclesiastes 12:1. Also, see what Jesus said to Paul “It is hard for you to kick against the goads.†Acts 8:5,28:14)

My conclusion is that the phrase, properly used, is “get your goad.â€

But don’t mind me, I’m stubborn. Like a goat.

I have no idea how I have lived 61 years without hearing the expression, "Get my goad". That's pretty baaaaaaaaaad! :) Ok...I'm sorry. Continue.

Assuming Gman saw a panther and not a sasquatch, grizzly bear, mothman or aliens

My pawpaw used to tell a story about being followed home one night by a "painther". When he was in his teens he had went to visit family and one followed him, just out of the reach of his lamps light but he could see its eyes. I believe him 100% on it. Pawpaw wasnt a big story teller, he just sort of nonchalantly told me the story once. This would have happened between Elkhorn KY and the Breaks back in the 50s.

One of my teachers in high school saw one hit beside the road between Clinchco and Haysi about 10 years ago. It was beside the road when he went to Haysi and had been moved by the time he came back through.

I was really curious about this subject a few years ago and did some really basic research on the internet(basically a google search and I looked at 10-15 websites). One of the sites I looked at was on the VA DGIF site. It went on for a couple of pages about how cougars were not in this area and couldnt be and blah blah blah, anyway the last sentence basically said "cougars, mountain lions or catamounts no longer inhabit VA but if you do see one be sure to give us a call".

come on Gman, we need details!

Edited by redtiger

One evening while working with for the railorad around Pembroke, Va a large deer passed in front of our train in a full sprint with a black cat like animal chasing behind it.

It can't be real.

Why?

This country is not as tame as we like to think it is. Black bears are plentiful in SWVA but until this year I had only saw one in my life. Whos to say that an animal with a much smaller population and a much larger range couldnt go more or less unseen. Espicially if the animal stayed to the more remote areas of the Appalachian mtns.

Edited by redtiger

Why?

This country is not as tame as we like to think it is. Black bears are plentiful in SWVA but until this year I had only saw one in my life. Whos to say that an animal with a much smaller population and a much larger range couldnt go more or less unseen.

Haha, GMAN still hasn't said what he saw. You are missing the point of my message.