Bowling, 2012-13

League started tonight.

New equipment, new attitude, same bad elbow.

166-191-195 - 552

First game was either strike or open...chalk it up to both unfamiliar equipment and not having bowled since last May.

Second game had more strikes and a few spares, less opens.

Last game was clean five strikes/six spares (all were 10-pin leaves...6 for 6. Actually only missed one 10-pin all night, the first one I threw at in the first game.

New ball (RotoGrip Berserk) is going to be good when I learn how it is going to react under different conditions. With its hybrid coverstock, it seems to be very smooth in the midlane and very continuous on the backend and through the pocket...strong enough to move in the oil but smooth enough not to make any sudden jumps of the dry boards.

UVAO has found himself a permanent spot in this league too.

Indeed, I found a permanent spot on the Monday league. Taking over a spot for the season on the team for which I subbed most last season.

204-191-193 = 588 series

I hadn't touched the equipment since taking two of my cousins to bowl in mid-June, except for sanding the ball yesterday before hitting the lanes. I did that because I knew that I typically have a tough time getting enough break on my ball to start a season, and that the lanes might not break down quite as much with the unseasonably cool weather.

Some highlights:

(1) Strike percentage wasn't great (~40%), but I managed to double in game 1 and turkey in games 2-3.

(2) First game was clean, and I had just 3 opens all night.

(3) All those opens were multi-pin spares. One was a 3-10 split and another was a 1-2-10 washout.

(4) Of my three splits, I hit two (another 3-10 and a 2-5-7).

(5) Perfect on the single-pin spares...but I didn't leave a single 10-pin.

(6) I didn't bury myself in Week 1, which had been a problem in years past.

The 2 months off did much good. A new seasons, and a new attitude. Calmer, more relaxed, and I think it paid dividends last night. Good start to the year.

Not nearly as good in my 2nd league last night.

171-192-141. A 504 series, but it was the 3rd-best set on our lanes. That should tell a little something about the lane conditions. Lane's were unbearably dry. You were lucky to keep a straight ball on the right side of the pocket on our set of lanes.

11 opens, 4 of them nasty splits. Only one single-pin miss, so that shows some of the nasty leaves. Had a stretch in the 3rd game where I didn't hit more than 6 for four frames in a row. Nasty night. At least there'll be room for improvement.

Ah! I was up there last night before you guys started, didn't see you.

I didn't get there until the end of practice. Wife started a new job today, and we were busy hitting up what little Tazewell had in terms of preparing her for it. By the time we were finished, I had 15 minutes to get from Tazewell to Bluefield, WV. Not coincidentally, I whiffed badly on the first 2 frames, and it cost me a 190+.

Last night was bad. 159-181-164 for a 504 set.

Threw 7 splits, and got lucky enough to hit two of them (9-10 and 3-10). Had 2 more multi-pin misses. Again, perfect on single-pin spares, but I just left so many multi-pin spares that it was frankly embarrassing. Didn't hit a strike in the 3rd game. Two nasty splits in the 8th and 10th frames of the second game knocked me off a 200 pace in that one. We went 1-7...tied the 2nd game after our team opened at #3 and #4 in the 10th.

Oh, and we were bowling GMan's team. Too busy living the good life down south this week.

Dang, sorry I missed that...how'd my sub do?

Admirably. Your #5 guy, IIRC. Good enough for 7-1.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Just been bowling like crap.

Last night was better, though. 193-181-184. 558 series. Only left 3 opens (1 split and 2 missed 10-pins). Only threw 9 strikes the whole night (1 double in the 1st game). 3rd game was mildly disappointing...crushed the pocket the entire game just to wind up with different missed pins every time. Finally got a strike to fall in the 9th frame, and instead of being happy, just shook my head.

I made a slight change to my approach, focusing on keeping my upper body much straighter coming to the line. It worked. Strike percentage needs work, but again, I felt I got some wonky results on some pretty good shots. Makes me hopeful for Monday.

MUCH better evening. 235-209-180. An unorthodox 624 series, but it worked.

Started with the front 6 in Game 1, then proceeded to miss the pocket entirely and miss the spare in the 7th frame. Closed it out /-X-/X to shoot the 235. Second game started slower, and whiffing on a 3-9-10 split in the 5th frame didn't help. Made an adjustment, and fired the last 5-in-a-row to shoot the 209. Third game was rougher. Threw not one, but two, 4-6 splits. Also chopped a 5-9, the first time I'd done that this season. But I kept the score up by throwing a turkey in the 7th-9th.

Very pleased with the strike percentage tonight (50%+). Need to be avoid throwing several poor frames in a row. But this may be the start of something good.

165-176-180 - 521

Left lane was very touchy...miss a tad right = washout, miss a tad left = through the nose split. Had one strike on the left lane...a Brooklyn strike at that...pocket shot left either the 7-pin or the 10-pin. Was hooked up on the right land all night but its hard to score well going X-split-X-washout-X-split-X-10pin-etc....

On the bright side, I converted all four 10-pins I left...still only one miss on the 10-pin this year.

Not as bad as my night.

First, I just didn't feel like bowling last night...elbow hurt, fingers on bowling hand were numb. Had a goal of 450...didn't quite get there. All night was a struggle...don't think I hit the pocket more than three times. I didn't get my first strike until the 3rd frame of the last game. Missed LOTS of spares. Thoughts of quitting for good...

Hey Guys, I feel your pain. After 4 weeks of league bowling this year, I have a whopping 127 avg. It is a far cry from my normal 165 avg. Hopefully the arthroscopic shoulder surgery I had almost 2 weeks ago helps with my bowling woes. All I can say is watch out to the rest of the league when I get back to bowling in a few weeks and take advantage of all that handicap I have worked so hard for!! LOL :)

A better night. A strange night. 226-174-182. 582 series.

Game 1 was solid. Clean. Had 4-in-a-row from 2nd-5th.

Game 2 started out disastrous. Missed an easy spare in the 1st, then threw a 3 on a spare in the 5th (opened) before throwing an 8-10 in the 6th. I had 79 in thr 6th. But I threw X-X-X following that and salvaged the 174.

Game 3 started out with a 4-bagger. Then, in the 5th frame, I threw a perfect shot. It was perfect. The mechanics were right. It had nice revs and angle. It was dead center in the pocket. Trumpets were playing, and angels were singing. By some flaw in the laws of physics, the 10 stood. I literally shouted. I couldn't believe it. Then, on the spare shot, my spare ball drifted...and drifted...and drifted...right into the gutter. The next frame, I left a 6 pin, and threw the same spare ball...and it checked up like somebody kicked it. Missed that one. The next frame, threw an 8-10. Just a disastrous ending.

But a better night overall.

Game 3 started out with a 4-bagger. Then, in the 5th frame, I threw a perfect shot. It was perfect. The mechanics were right. It had nice revs and angle. It was dead center in the pocket. Trumpets were playing, and angels were singing. By some flaw in the laws of physics, the 10 stood. I literally shouted. I couldn't believe it. Then, on the spare shot, my spare ball drifted...and drifted...and drifted...right into the gutter.

Been there, done that...

179-153-191. 523 series.

Strike ball was on (had at least 1 double in every game, and runs of 3-in-a-row in games 2 and 3). Spare shooting was not, which for me is indicative of a lack of focus. And there is a reason for that, which shall not be told. Three splits, two of which were close to impossible.

We'll try again Wednesday.

Steady improvement last night but I still sucked ass...133-160-194 - 487. Now that I have four weeks under my belt, I'm "starting" the season with a whopping 168 average, down 19 from what I finished with last season and 32 from what I finished the season before that.

Steady improvement last night but I still sucked ass...133-160-194 - 487. Now that I have four weeks under my belt, I'm "starting" the season with a whopping 168 average, down 19 from what I finished with last season and 32 from what I finished the season before that.

I'll either be 179 or 180. After not bowling for 5 years during college, I've never finished a season below 186.

MUCH better tonight. 194-240-173.

Series was all over the place by scores, but the execution was better. Just 2 open frames, both splits, both in the 3rd game. One split was the Big-4, the other was a baby split that I juuuuuust missed.

Couldn't put strikes together in the first game, but the 2nd was much better on that front. Started out with the front 3, then doubled in 5-6, then threw another turkey in the 9th and the first two in the 10th. 240 is the best game I've thrown since moving back to the area.

Third game was a bit hairy at times. Did double ones, but threw just 4 strikes the whole game. Threw a really wonky ball on the last shot of the 10th. Needed 2 to clinch a victory, and got 6 the hard way.

Took 'em all tonight, too, against a very good squad.

Even better last night! 214-220-216. That's a 650 series, and by far my best since I've been back at Mountaineer.

I did something last night I'd only done twice before, and that's throw a whole series without an open frame. It's almost like pitching a no-hitter. You start to notice in the 2nd game, and you just put your nose down and keep driving through it. I did cover 1 split, a 4-10 of all things, in the 2nd game.

The strike percentage wasn't out of this world, but I did manage to string (1) 2 doubles in Game 1, (2) a 4-bagger in game 2, and (3) 2 doubles in Game 3.

Hopefully, I can continue the momentum next week. I won't be available Wednesday, due to a death in the family.

Yep, UVAO was smokin' last night.

I started off better than the last few weeks but crashed and burned with 4 splits in the last 6 frames of the third game...182-183-140 - 505.

Yep, I still suck...