Bowling, 2012-13

G-Man vs. UVAO...G-Man's team wins 6-2.

I went 169-243-197 for a 609. UVAO came out strong with a 234 but struggled the second game with a 163 and finished with a 194 for a respectable 591.

GMan got the better of me in this tilt. Gotta hand it to him, though...his first 600 of the season came at a great time.

Last two games were disappointing. Went 0/3 on corner pins. Chopped the 2-4-8 off the bucket. Didn't cover a 3-10. One of those nights where you know what to do with the ball...but you just can't put it on the money all the time.

Beats last Wednesday's 458.

GMan got the better of me in this tilt. Gotta hand it to him, though...his first 600 of the season came at a great time.

Last two games were disappointing. Went 0/3 on corner pins. Chopped the 2-4-8 off the bucket. Didn't cover a 3-10. One of those nights where you know what to do with the ball...but you just can't put it on the money all the time.

Bowling sounds like something I could clean clock at. ;)

I failed to mention the two 7-pins, the 9-pin, and the 10-pin I whiffed on...toss in chopping the 3-6-9-10 and leaving a 4-7-10...609 could have been MUCH better...

Now that would be a horrible feeling, lying in the gutter, crying... Too bad it'll be you two, and not me. :D

I'd break you down with the big hook and UVAO will bring the pain with his POWERBALL...you wouldn't stand a chance...

My ball is more like a powderpuff ball!! :)

Anyway, after 2 weeks back to bowling. I have raised my avg 6 pins. Felt much more comfortable this past week. Looking forward to my first 500 in awhile!! :)

Last night was a better night. 215-186-202. Broke 600 again, which is a pick-me-up. Better than the 556 last Wednesday.

Had 2 opens all night, both in the THIRD game. Threw a turkey in the 2nd-4th in Game 1 and covered all my spares. Threw just 2 strikes in Game 2, and had awful count on my first balls...though I covered all the spares. Whiffed on a 7-pin to start Game 3, and missed a 6-7 split in the 5th frame. Shook it off and threw 4-in-a-row from the 8th-10th to scratch out a 200 game and a 600 series.

Went 6-2. Darned near came back and took the last one. Won the first 2 games by a total of 280 pins, and lost the last one by 3.

188-209-208 - 605

Bowled fairly well tonight...two hiccups, both in the first game. After starting with the first four, I let one hang and picked off the 10-pin on the first ball of the 5th frame and missed the spare. Then in the 10th frame, I leave the 4-6-9-10.

Pretty sure this series was enough to finally get my average into the 180s...sad...

300-300-300

strike every roll.

Had to use a childrens ball the 2nd set. But still pulled it out.

The only thing you pulled out was your thumb...from your ass...:D

My bowling is slowly coming around since returning to leage 4 weeks ago. My avg has increased by 8-9 pins since returning. this past week was my most consistent nite throwing the ball. I think I only pulled the ball across my body only once. My spare conversion is improving every week. I had 148-176-143 for a 467. I am inching closer to that "magical" 500 series for me!! LOL :)

140-206-205 - 551

Game 1...six opens...three big splits (4-6-10, 4-6, 2-10), two whiffed 10-pins, and a chop)...finished / XX9 to shoot 140.

Game 2...back-to-back whiffed 10-pins in the 9th and 10th frame...this game could have been HUGE, otherwise.

Game 3...pocket 7-10 in the second frame of the last game...didn't double until striking out in the 10th.

3rd consecutive series under 500. Sanding the ball before Wednesday night to see if that'll help. Have really felt "in-between" lines the past month.

Pretty sure its the shot. Lots of others are struggling too (including myself - see last week and first game this week)...reverse block condition - drier inside than out. Must move left and play the middle of the lane and/or have massive amount of revs to overcome the slick areas on the outside.

Playing straighter, as you do, you have a very small margin of error with this condition...a little outside and the ball never recovers to the pocket, a slight tug inside and the ball hooks through the nose. I've had more success, lately, when I move left and play more to the inside. I'll still get one to hang in the oil on the outside, every now and again, and leave a washout. 2nd and 3rd games last night, I made the move and put a few more revs on the ball and ended up with a couple of good scores. If you continue to play straight, you must find the oil line and be accurate to play it in order to score well.

Be careful...sanding may help, however, it may hurt too. Too much surface will cause the ball to "roll out" and not hook, making you think its not "grabbing" at all when its really "grabbing" too much. Its difficult to sometimes tell the difference between the two.

Pretty sure its the shot. Lots of others are struggling too (including myself - see last week and first game this week)...reverse block condition - drier inside than out. Must move left and play the middle of the lane and/or have massive amount of revs to overcome the slick areas on the outside.

Playing straighter, as you do, you have a very small margin of error with this condition...a little outside and the ball never recovers to the pocket, a slight tug inside and the ball hooks through the nose. I've had more success, lately, when I move left and play more to the inside. I'll still get one to hang in the oil on the outside, every now and again, and leave a washout. 2nd and 3rd games last night, I made the move and put a few more revs on the ball and ended up with a couple of good scores. If you continue to play straight, you must find the oil line and be accurate to play it in order to score well.

Be careful...sanding may help, however, it may hurt too. Too much surface will cause the ball to "roll out" and not hook, making you think its not "grabbing" at all when its really "grabbing" too much. Its difficult to sometimes tell the difference between the two.

I simply can't put enough revs on the ball to overcome the slickness outside. There's something mechanically wrong in my release that doesn't allow me to get enough turn on the ball. I've tried reading books on it, and I've tried watching tape on bowlers who can generate the revs. I just can't translate what I see on film to what I want to do with the bowling ball. It's one of those things: my mind knows what to do, but my body just doesn't do it.

I just need to spend a few sessions with someone who does it well, who can look at my release elbow-down and see what's hindering me.

Another issue is Mountaineer itself. Anywhere else I've ever bowled more than once, I've been at least marginally successful in moving inside against the reverse block. Not Mountaineer. The ball simply will either (1) not come back or (2) deflect very badly if it does [lots of 5-7s and 8-10s].

Our anchor bowler suggested that sanding would cure many of my ills, so I'm going with his word. Of course, he'd certainly be in a position to give some positive advice. I'm anxious to see how the ball does Wednesday night. I'll keep in mind the tendency to grip too tightly.

Honestly, I used to not be able to hook the ball much at all. Like you, I stood left and rolled it to the pocket with a slight hook. But after watching Chris Barnes enough, I learned two very important things...slow yourself down and keep your fingers below the equator of the ball to create more revs. In other words, keep your hand behind the ball through the release.

Of course I'm not going to argue with your anchor bowler, he gives excellent advice.

Also, you shouldn't really "grip" the ball. Your fingers should hold the ball on your thumb...your thumb is a stabilizer to keep the ball from falling off your fingers. And the only way for that to happen is to have your fingers below the equator. I know, tough to understand without pictures but I'll show you what I mean next time at Mountaineer.