beaver / graham alumni game?

total

there was an ad in the paper for a full contact Beaver / Graham alumni game... done by gridiron-wars.com. I've looked around to see if there was a thread on this already but didn't find it.

anyone considering it? I'm in pretty good shape and run half marathons and ~think~ I could do it... my parents and wife said they would like to see me do it and that they would pay my entry fee. does anybody have any info on it?

there was an ad in the paper for a full contact Beaver / Graham alumni game... done by gridiron-wars.com. I've looked around to see if there was a thread on this already but didn't find it.

anyone considering it? I'm in pretty good shape and run half marathons and ~think~ I could do it... my parents and wife said they would like to see me do it and that they would pay my entry fee. does anybody have any info on it?

Sounds like a good way for a bunch of old men to get hurt.lol

We had some fun playing in those games! The lack of discipline by some sure made us look pretty bad though. The talent level of some of those guys was unbelievable none the less. I am glad I was able to play along side some of the Graham, Bluefield, and Mt View guys. There were a couple of those guys that had enough athletic ability to play at a much higher level.

• 2 months later...

The original game that was being put on by Gridiron wars is no longer happening. However, there is a group out of California working with the Great American Rivalry Series that has been covering the Graham Beaver game for the last few years, (the thing that the previous Graham coach believed was ESPN...), and they are doing a Alumni Rivalry game with every game that the Great American Rivalry Series covered this past year. Which is Bluefield and Graham seeing as we were the first game of their season. The Graham team from what I know is full roaster from what was going to be the one for the Gridiron Wars. From what I was told the new game will be played Memorial Day weekend. It is meant more as a fun way to celebrate the two schools. Obviously there is a lot of people who are going to go full on but I have been working closely with the Event Coordinator for Gridiron Alumni.com and he does this across the country and is excited to do this. From what I know the Bluefield Team does need a few more. You can go to their website to sign up. Like I said it is honestly meant to be more for entertainment and a way for people to enjoy what has been the greatest rivalry in the area and one of the biggest in the country (at one time).

It is meant more as a fun way to celebrate the two schools. Obviously there is a lot of people who are going to go full on but I have been working closely with the Event Coordinator for Gridiron Alumni.com and he does this across the country and is excited to do this. From what I know the Bluefield Team does need a few more. You can go to their website to sign up. Like I said it is honestly meant to be more for entertainment and a way for people to enjoy what has been the greatest rivalry in the area and one of the biggest in the country (at one time).

This game is all about $$$$$$$.......Seems like you are trying to recruit more players to join. Personally, to me the whole thing is BS

Honaker vs Lebanon did one a few weeks ago on a Friday night and from what I heard Lebanon's stadium was packed. Friend of mine told me they charged $10 per ticket, I think they raked in the cash from it from what I was told, but a portion of the proceeds goes back to the schools, I didn't get all the details on how much. It's definitely a fund raiser for sure. I was unable to go or I probably would have went!

Edited by OrangeStreak

Those guys running that show are making an absolute killing. Its unreal. Very good guys to work with.

Basically the schools can get the money from presale tickets. Ticket sales at the gate go directly to the Alumni Football group. If they dont sell many tickets before the game, concessions are the only place the school really makes money.

I think what really bothers me is that most trying to play for Richlands didn't even play in high school. Not really an alumni game if you ask me.

In the technical sense of the term, it is. But you're right: you'd want people who actually played football.

In terms of competition, Graham and Bluefield would blow pretty much everyone else off the field...

Understandably the company does get a good chunk of money out of it... But if the school actually would support it they do get a good chunk too. From what I know O'Neil wants nothing to do with it, however, Coach Williams is all for it. But as for the one about Bluefield and Richlands not having enough, that is correct from one original possible alumni game that just some locals were wanting to put on, but supposedly a "professional" guy who does it wanted to charge all players 100 to play, but the guy I have been doing advertising for over the Graham/Beaver one he is only charging 70 per player but if you pay early its like only 50 or 60 from what I remember. And yes I agree there are a few from the Graham side that never played either which I don't agree with, but again that too was from the other guys that were putting one on here, the "Gridiron Wars". Of course though yes the Bluefield side from what I have heard does need more players and only play if you want to. It may come off as old people just wanting to get back out and re-live they're hay day. Although, there are a lot of people on the Graham side are class of 2004-2012.

Understandably the company does get a good chunk of money out of it... But if the school actually would support it they do get a good chunk too. From what I know O'Neil wants nothing to do with it, however, Coach Williams is all for it. But as for the one about Bluefield and Richlands not having enough, that is correct from one original possible alumni game that just some locals were wanting to put on, but supposedly a "professional" guy who does it wanted to charge all players 100 to play, but the guy I have been doing advertising for over the Graham/Beaver one he is only charging 70 per player but if you pay early its like only 50 or 60 from what I remember. And yes I agree there are a few from the Graham side that never played either which I don't agree with, but again that too was from the other guys that were putting one on here, the "Gridiron Wars". Of course though yes the Bluefield side from what I have heard does need more players and only play if you want to. It may come off as old people just wanting to get back out and re-live they're hay day. Although, there are a lot of people on the Graham side are class of 2004-2012.

To me its a liability issue. One of these guys gets out here and gets paralyzed and sues the the school because they supported it then the county gets screwed. I don't blame them for not supporting it.