School lunches cut back too much?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/snacks-usdas-solution-healthy-school-lunch-protests/story?id=17324285

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Personally, I think it's too little for kids to eat. While I was student teaching in Washington County, VA, schools, the kids were getting plenty to eat and felt great (and were active too) for the rest of the school day. I especially loved the fact that the cafeteria staff would use home recipes every now and then and the kids and teachers loved it too. But, after talking to the head cafeteria person at one of the schools I was at, she informed me that the new rules that have taken effect (apparently it's getting even more strict this school year) have forced them to give up the home cooking and nearly all the meals the kids loved (chili day was one such recipe.....trust me, it was delicious, but because of the rules cutting back on proteins, they can't serve it anymore). School lunches were already pretty healthy IMO. The first lady and others involved in this need to focus more on getting kids active, like into sports, than taking away so much food.

Edited by ThomasDenton

As someone who eats a school lunch from time to time, there are some items that are improved. The bread on the sandwiches is better. The sweet potato fries are good. I like the refried beans they are serving.

My biggest complaint is that they can't serve chili with the hotdogs anymore.

For me the biggest problem is that these items are not things the kids are used to eating and they aren't willing to try.

As someone who eats a school lunch from time to time, there are some items that are improved. The bread on the sandwiches is better. The sweet potato fries are good. I like the refried beans they are serving.

My biggest complaint is that they can't serve chili with the hotdogs anymore.

For me the biggest problem is that these items are not things the kids are used to eating and they aren't willing to try.

Most kids here don't like change to the food, especially the sweet potato fries and sweet potato tots here. Refried beans, yuck. Tried those yesterday and they sucked. The bread is wheat now, and for all of the Richlands alumns here on the board, they got rid of Bosco sticks as well. That, I am unhappy with.

Most kids here don't like change to the food, especially the sweet potato fries and sweet potato tots here. Refried beans, yuck. Tried those yesterday and they sucked. The bread is wheat now, and for all of the Richlands alumns here on the board, they got rid of Bosco sticks as well. That, I am unhappy with.

I think they got rid of the Bosco sticks at the Washington County schools I was at too (though, when they served those, they weren't much of a lunch).

This new lunch plan may work for certain areas in the country, but here in the Appalachias, we're beans and cornbread/meat and potatos eating people. If they cut out the protein and just serve larger amounts of celery and carrot sticks, that's just too big of a change.

I think they got rid of the Bosco sticks at the Washington County schools I was at too (though, when they served those, they weren't much of a lunch).

This new lunch plan may work for certain areas in the country, but here in the Appalachias, we're beans and cornbread/meat and potatos eating people. If they cut out the protein and just serve larger amounts of celery and carrot sticks, that's just too big of a change.

Yeah, exactly. This won't work here at all. This will just force the kids to turn to bringing food via lunchboxes instead of the school's food. Some guy thought of writing a petition, but that won't really work... Oh well.

BTW, heard it's supposed to get worse later on.

There's kids here at Richlands and all over the country feeling these effects of not getting enough food, and after they eat what they're given, they still feel hungry, but they don't get that quanity of food that we used to get, and that's bad, and it'll make kids not be active and alert as much, like for instance, football practices, because they don't get as much protein as usual.

Edited by BlueTornadoFan

Always brought my own lunch. Never could rely on what was going to be served up such as pizza that you could pull apart in five layers or bologna that we placed in a drawer one time and it looked the same six months after we put it in the drawer.

Does anybody here remember the bags of milk and juice they tried out?

if not for school lunch, I'd never have known the greatness of pizza and corn in the same meal.

Where I went to elementary school it was the greatness of Thu. lunch -- Hamburger and a glazed donut.

Nothing wrong with meat and potatoes, dont know whoever decided that there was something wrong with it but they are most definately wrong.

When I was in school we had pizza, cheese sticks and hamburgers every week and the other 2 days were either something different(spaghetti or turkey sandwiches usually) or a choice between 2 of the 3, that definately wasnt a proper lunch. I dont have a problem with including more fruits and veggies but cutting carbs and protein is stupid. These are growing kids and they need carbs and protein, what they dont need is candy bars and soda.

This is kinda cliche but for alot of kids this is the only real meal they will get all day and for some its the only food they will get all day(sad but true). So were gonna tell little Johnny "honey were sorry your parents are scum and dont feed you but we cant give you a roast beef sandwich and potatoes, but heres some grapes" thats just not gonna cut it

if not for school lunch, I'd never have known the greatness of pizza and corn in the same meal.

Pizza, corn, AND CHOCOLATE MILK! Such a weird combination and I hated eating it. Also, I noticed that they don't serve as much milk as they used to. Now, it's all about juice and Gatorade (which is good, but more expensive). Apparently, even the fat free milk was too fatty or something.

Nothing wrong with meat and potatoes, dont know whoever decided that there was something wrong with it but they are most definately wrong.

When I was in school we had pizza, cheese sticks and hamburgers every week and the other 2 days were either something different(spaghetti or turkey sandwiches usually) or a choice between 2 of the 3, that definately wasnt a proper lunch. I dont have a problem with including more fruits and veggies but cutting carbs and protein is stupid. These are growing kids and they need carbs and protein, what they dont need is candy bars and soda.

This is kinda cliche but for alot of kids this is the only real meal they will get all day and for some its the only food they will get all day(sad but true). So were gonna tell little Johnny "honey were sorry your parents are scum and dont feed you but we cant give you a roast beef sandwich and potatoes, but heres some grapes" thats just not gonna cut it

My youngest brother played for a little league baseball team from northern California one summer and they were absolutely AMAZED with the food here. They commented a lot on how huge and strong our kids here were compared to theirs (all their kids were really tall, but skinny as a rail). They even mentioned that it was probably because all they ate over there was McDonalds and pizza while every meal they ate while in NET and SWVA was loaded with meat and potatos. They even called my brother the "big Samoan" because he was twice as tan (except for one kid from Mexico) and twice as big as all their kids (and it didn't help that the first time they met him, he was wearing Hawaiian themed swimming trunks with no shirt and a pair of cowboy boots, lol).

Pizza, corn, AND CHOCOLATE MILK! Such a weird combination and I hated eating it. Also, I noticed that they don't serve as much milk as they used to. Now, it's all about juice and Gatorade (which is good, but more expensive). Apparently, even the fat free milk was too fatty or something.

In high school almost every Friday we had pizza, corn, fruit, cookie and milk. Good milk as in whole and two percent, not water.

In high school almost every Friday we had pizza, corn, fruit, cookie and milk. Good milk as in whole and two percent, not water.

I just couldn't do the pizza and milk together (actually, I just couldn't eat the school's pizza period). But everything else was awesome when I was in school and when I'd eat the school's food while student teaching.

Always brought my own lunch. Never could rely on what was going to be served up such as pizza that you could pull apart in five layers or bologna that we placed in a drawer one time and it looked the same six months after we put it in the drawer.

Does anybody here remember the bags of milk and juice they tried out?

Bags of milk and juice were awesome.

The other stuff, meh. But it's government-issued food. The same government which is in Monsanto's pocket. Take it for what that's worth...