Gate City

dshreeves

Just wondering what the Gate City fans here think about the Devils chances the rest of the season. It's hard to judge how they match up with their district opponents because they play such a tough and unique non-district schedule.

I know injuries really hampered them early in the season. How healthy are they now?

I'm thinking Lee is a win, Clintwood a loss, Battle, VHS and Union as toss ups.

I'm not that concerned as long as they keep putting up an effort. Right or wrong, I still don't believe Bluefield was 42 points better. The first half should've definitely been alot closer than it was, but with a couple of questionable calls it killed the drives. I hope they give Battle all they want and then some next week. Our passing game is starting to open up the run more. We're still a couple of years away but we'll be back.

I'm not that concerned as long as they keep putting up an effort. Right or wrong, I still don't believe Bluefield was 42 points better. The first half should've definitely been alot closer than it was, but with a couple of questionable calls it killed the drives. I hope they give Battle all they want and then some next week. Our passing game is starting to open up the run more. We're still a couple of years away but we'll be back.

Questionable calls @ Bluefield? Thats a first, lol

LoL....couple of the GC fans that i assume are "in the know GC fans" were yelling after a few questionable calls "no wonder Richlands doesn't want to play up here anymore". I thought it quite humorous.

Bottom line...the calls made no difference in the outcome. We could not contain their speed on the outside. I agree with GC Quincy as along as the effort is there is all that matters this year. GC will be back...no doubt about it.

I'll add my two cents.

There are always going to be questionable calls both ways in every game no matter who is playing and/or where. Maybe Gate City is better than that, maybe Bluefield isn't that good. All I know is what I witnessed at the stadium.

I will say this. Bluefield has no answer for the passing game of Gate City when the QB has time. He made some great throws. Gate City battled all game until the second pick 6. Hats off to their effort along with their coaches and fans. The Bluefield defensive line was getting a ton of penetration on GC most of the night too. If people want to bitch about officiating possibly deciding the game when the margin was 42 points that's fine. More power to ya!

I agree the biggest factor that decided the game was the speed of Bluefield's play makers in space and GC having no one that could catch them. Bluefield was the better team against Gate City this time.

Gate City still ran twice as many offensive plays as Bluefield in the game. I have always had a ton of respect for the program at Gate City and I hope the series continues for the good of both programs and their fans. There will be some great battles between the two programs down the road!

I'll add my two cents.

There are always going to be questionable calls both ways in every game no matter who is playing and/or where. Maybe Gate City is better than that, maybe Bluefield isn't that good. All I know is what I witnessed at the stadium.

I will say this. Bluefield has no answer for the passing game of Gate City when the QB has time. He made some great throws. Gate City battled all game until the second pick 6. Hats off to their effort along with their coaches and fans. The Bluefield defensive line was getting a ton of penetration on GC most of the night too. If people want to bitch about officiating possibly deciding the game when the margin was 42 points that's fine. More power to ya!

I agree the biggest factor that decided the game was the speed of Bluefield's play makers in space and GC having no one that could catch them. Bluefield was the better team against Gate City this time.

Gate City still ran twice as many offensive plays as Bluefield in the game. I have always had a ton of respect for the program at Gate City and I hope the series continues for the good of both programs and their fans. There will be some great battles between the two programs down the road!

I was glad to hear the two renewed their contract.

I thought the refs were pretty bad, but Bluefield was 35-40points better easily. The GC offense is looking better, but the D is just bad. The Devils are still at least a year or 2 away, they will be okay in the CMD, and probably lose to Clintwood and possibly to Union. Could possibly sneak into the playoffs and be a really low seed.

The D for Bluefield would concern me if i were a Beaver fan.

I think my comment was taken out of context. When it was 21-7 and GC ran the fake punt, GC was called for a hold and there wasn't a soul within 20 yards of the flag. That was definitely a back breaker. We couldn't handle Bluefields speed and it cost us. As I said, GC will be back. These rough licks will pay dividends down the road.

When Freddie has his crew on the field,You cannot win at Mitchell Stadium.Can the Beavers not figure out why they have scheduling problems?One must wonder how many of those ten State Championships were aided by Bluefield home cooking.

When Freddie has his crew on the field,You cannot win at Mitchell Stadium.Can the Beavers not figure out why they have scheduling problems?One must wonder how many of those ten State Championships were aided by Bluefield home cooking.

LOL....

funny-celebrity-pictures-you-mad-bro.jpg

I've watched 250ish high school football games and the worst officiated game ever was when Richlands played Bluefield the last game of the season and the Beavers had to win to get in the playoffs. It was in the early 2000s. I've never saw a game at any level in any sport worse than that. The only way Richlands will ever play Bluefield again is if they have no choice.

I've watched 250ish high school football games and the worst officiated game ever was when Richlands played Bluefield the last game of the season and the Beavers had to win to get in the playoffs. It was in the early 2000s. I've never saw a game at any level in any sport worse than that. The only way Richlands will ever play Bluefield again is if they have no choice.

Well, the Richlands-Bluefield series is back on for the next 2 years. So....

Agreed. And the second worst officiated game I've ever seen was in 2007 when Bluefield went to Richlands for the first game since that jobbing in 2002 at Mitchell Stadium.

I guarantee it wasn't as bad as UVA/UNC in the 2005 Women's ACC Basketball Tournament semis in Greensboro. I know, LOLwomensbasketball, but it was so epic a hosing that I can remember everything about that day. Just disgusting.

Agreed. And the second worst officiated game I've ever seen was in 2007 when Bluefield went to Richlands for the first game since that jobbing in 2002 at Mitchell Stadium.

Who did they bring in, Altizer as head ref.

This is just one of those weird years for GC.

Planetary alignment, global warming,and some strange radiation emitting from Area 51 have combined to produce some previously unseen effects at Legion Field. Well.......either that or having 5 Seniors, and around 30 Sophomores, on the team. Take your pick.

With so many young kids on the team, you just never know how they will respond. It is POSSIBLE that GC wins the next 4 games (Battle, @ VH, Union, and @ Lee). It is also possible that they lose the next 4 games.......badly.

Isn't there a crew out there from the past that was from Richlands or near there that use to "job" Graham and other teams fairly bad when they would play Richlands?? Seems to me I recall several people talking about a group of officials that would officiate the game to benefit Richlands even if Richlands wasn't playing.

Maybe I didn't hear that, but I thought I did.

The only time i can ever say the officials absolutely cost GC the game was against Powell Valley in the Region Championship the year PV went on to beat Giles and lost to Manasass Park in the final. GC scored 3 times from the one and they never would give them a TD, the VH$L sent a letter apologizing. What good does that do? "We're sorry our officials suck so bad that you lost but hey what can you do?" of course don't run the QB sneak and hand it to RB he may have scored easily and there's no doubt