Presidential Debate

Canes00

I would rather be wrong about believing in Jesus than not believing in him and finding out I was wrong.

Who said anything about Jesus? Jesus was a real guy. What if he was the son of God? I never debated the existence of God. Science can't prove or disprove that.

The Bible on the other hand... it has some explaining to do.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are getting off topic here. The real conversation should be how Mitt Romney owned Barack Obama last night. Obama has little policy run on since he is one of the worst Presidents of all time. If Mitt is smart he will continue to hammer that.

Romney did own Obama last night, that cant be argued. Obama looked like he hadnt put in much study time. He kept going back to Romneys 5 billion tax cut(that Romney completly denied) and just didnt have anything to fire back with other than that.

On the creation/evolution debate. I see evolution as fact and believe that it is the hand of God at work, plain and simple(atleast to me).

It takes about zero faith to look through a microscope.

All things had an origin and man did not evolve from apes ...God created man in His image and God is not an animal... Man is God's highest creation not evolutions final product..

All things had an origin and man did not evolve from apes ...God created man in His image and God is not an animal... Man is God's highest creation not evolutions final product..

No scientist would argue that man evolved from apes, because that isn't how it happened. However, man and ape did evolve from a common ancestor. That is a near unanimously agreed upon theory in the scientific world.

Honest question: Do you actually know what evolution is? The theory of evolution is the scientific theory that explains why there is so much variety and complexity in the natural world. It doesn't explain what initially started life in the first place, all it explains is the variety of life we have. It isn't some sort of voodoo magic. It is a slow, long process of change through mutations, natural selection, gene flow, genetic drift, and other evolutionary forces.

Someone said "Well, if I evolved from apes, why are apes still here?" Beside the fact that this statement is completely incorrect, it is also incorrectly assuming that when a species evolves into another species that it has to then disappear. Evolution happens to populations of species. For example, one population of an organism could develop a new trait through a mutation, that is then picked through natural selection to be the more "fit" trait (by fit I mean it is most likely to allow that organism to reproduce before it dies). The gene will then be passed along in that population more than the less fit trait, so that entire population could possibly then evolve to have that trait. Evolution isn't something that happens to an entire species simultaneously. But it does happens...without a doubt. Species change over time as a result of or to adapt to their surroundings. It literally took BILLIONS of years for the species that you see today to evolve.

It amazes me how someone can totally refute something that they have absolutely no knowledge of.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

No scientist would argue that man evolved from apes, because that isn't how it happened. However, man and ape did evolve from a common ancestor. That is a near unanimously agreed upon theory in the scientific world.

Honest question: Do you actually know what evolution is? The theory of evolution is the scientific theory that explains why there is so much variety and complexity in the natural world. It doesn't explain what initially started life in the first place, all it explains is the variety of life we have. It isn't some sort of voodoo magic. It is a slow, long process of change through mutations, natural selection, gene flow, genetic drift, and other evolutionary forces.

Someone said "Well, if I evolved from apes, why are apes still here?" Beside the fact that this statement is completely incorrect, it is also incorrectly assuming that when a species evolves into another species that it has to then disappear. Evolution happens to populations of species. For example, one population of an organism could develop a new trait through a mutation, that is then picked through natural selection to be the more "fit" trait (by fit I mean it is most likely to allow that organism to reproduce before it dies). The gene will then be passed along in that population more than the less fit trait, so that entire population could possibly then evolve to have that trait. Evolution isn't something that happens to an entire species simultaneously. But it does happens...without a doubt. Species change over time as a result of or to adapt to their surroundings. It literally took BILLIONS of years for the species that you see today to evolve.

It amazes me how someone can totally refute something that they have absolutely no knowledge of.

So you deny Genesis 1.26 and 27 that says''And God said, Let us make man in our image,after our likeness;and let them have dominion over the fish of the seaand over the fowl of the air,and over the cattle,and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.So God created man in his own image ,in the image of God created he them...

So you deny Genesis 1.26 and 27 that says''And God said, Let us make man in our image,after our likeness;and let them have dominion over the fish of the seaand over the fowl of the air,and over the cattle,and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.So God created man in his own image ,in the image of God created he them...

I wont speak for anyone else but for me I think it just took God a little time to create us. He started with a base organism and worked his way up over the years to create man.

I wont speak for anyone else but for me I think it just took God a little time to create us. He started with a base organism and worked his way up over the years to create man.

Lol!! A little time.....how much???? 10,000 yrs .....5 yrs.....what about Eve...how long did that take seeing see was formed from Adam's rib..

I don't see how a discussion about evolution has any relevance to the Bible. I am only talking about the theory of evolution. My beliefs are my beliefs, and to me evolution isn't something to "believe in", but rather a model of a system. Religion and evolution shouldn't be equal and opposite. You shouldn't have to choose between 'believing' religion or 'believing' evolution.

Evolution is a scientific theory. This doesn't mean that it's "just a theory" and doesn't have much evidence. A scientific theory is the best explanation given facts for something that can't be completely proven.

I don't see how a discussion about evolution has any relevance to the Bible. I am only talking about the theory of evolution. My beliefs are my beliefs, and to me evolution isn't something to "believe in", but rather a model of a system. Religion and evolution shouldn't be equal and opposite. You shouldn't have to choose between 'believing' religion or 'believing' evolution.

Evolution is a scientific theory. This doesn't mean that it's "just a theory" and doesn't have much evidence. A scientific theory is the best explanation given facts for something that can't be completely proven.

The Bible teaches Creation ...not as a theory.. In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth.... I am fearfully and wonderfully made Psalm 139. I am a body, soul and spirit.. Made to have fellowship with God.. fellowship that was lost thru sin ...made possible again by the birth ,life ,death and resurerection of His Son..

The Bible teaches Creation ...not as a theory.. In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth.... I am fearfully and wonderfully made Psalm 139. I am a body, soul and spirit.. Made to have fellowship with God.. fellowship that was lost thru sin ...made possible again by the birth ,life ,death and resurerection of His Son..

I know all of these things. I have read the Bible. However, I still accept things when there is overwhelming evidence to support them.

Lol!! A little time.....how much???? 10,000 yrs .....5 yrs.....what about Eve...how long did that take seeing see was formed from Adam's rib..

Yes, over thousands and thousands of years.

I believe the stories of the Bible are by and large just that, stories. The details are not important, its the lessons that are taught in each story that matter. The stories are just a easy to understand way to teach lessons.

The further science goes, the more it proves the existance of God

so wave316, what about dinosaurs? were they real? and if yes then how come the bible never mentions them?

Yes, over thousands and thousands of years.

I believe the stories of the Bible are by and large just that, stories. The details are not important, its the lessons that are taught in each story that matter. The stories are just a easy to understand way to teach lessons.

The further science goes, the more it proves the existance of God

so wave316, what about dinosaurs? were they real? and if yes then how come the bible never mentions them?

The Bible is 66 books... Old Testament and New Testament ..Old Testament deals with Genesis ...the book of beginnings..Exodus the story of Israel exiting Egypt...with that guy...you know um...Moses... then Leviticus deals with correct worship of God ...Numbers deal with tribes and geneology,Dueteronomy is the Laws given to Israel.. ..Joshua is the book of Israel going into the promised land... Judges is the book of Deliverers ..like Gideon.. Ruth is the book where a Gentile marries a wealthy Jew named Boaz.. I AND 2 Samuel is the books about Israel rejescting theocracy and desiring to be like other nations and wanting a king... 1 and 2 Kings ..a list of those Kings .. the wisdom books are in the middle ..Proverb and Ecclesiastes.. Later the Prophets....Isaiah ,Jeremiah.. Last book Malachi.. a 400 yr break then Matthew and the Birth of Christ ..the Gospels of Mark ,Luke and John... Acts of the Apostles book after the resurrection of Jesus ..Pauls epistles..Romans thru to Hebrews...then Letters by the Apostle James and Peter and Jude ..Last book is Revelation ..by the Apostle John banished on the Isle of Patmos .. Gods Word is inspired by God...men wrote as the were moved upon by the Holy Spirit.. Jesus Christ was promised in Genesis 3.15 and was born in a manger ..lived a sinless life and died for sinners .. on the third day was resurrected..and told His disciples to go preach the Good News to all the world ..The Good News that man can be forgiven of sin ,have a new birth and have fellowshipped restored with God.. and be filled with the Holy Spirit ..and thru faith ,hope and charity glorify the Heavenly Father.... As for dinosaurs ..the Bible mentions sea monsters in the book of Job .. Creation Mueseum near Cincinatti is a place I have wanted to visit which has a wealth of info about creation and dinosaurs .. To say that the Bible is just a book of stories is demeaning to it's Author .. Prohecies written thousands of yrs ago have come to pass and the words of Jesus are coming to pass now and in the days to come...much of the Bible is prophetic and alot has to do with the nation of Israel which is in the news headlines each and everyday...Israel .. from which was born Jesus Christ

The Bible is 66 books... Old Testament and New Testament ..Old Testament deals with Genesis ...the book of beginnings..Exodus the story of Israel exiting Egypt...with that guy...you know um...Moses... then Leviticus deals with correct worship of God ...Numbers deal with tribes and geneology,Dueteronomy is the Laws given to Israel.. ..Joshua is the book of Israel going into the promised land... Judges is the book of Deliverers ..like Gideon.. Ruth is the book where a Gentile marries a wealthy Jew named Boaz.. I AND 2 Samuel is the books about Israel rejescting theocracy and desiring to be like other nations and wanting a king... 1 and 2 Kings ..a list of those Kings .. the wisdom books are in the middle ..Proverb and Ecclesiastes.. Later the Prophets....Isaiah ,Jeremiah.. Last book Malachi.. a 400 yr break then Matthew and the Birth of Christ ..the Gospels of Mark ,Luke and John... Acts of the Apostles book after the resurrection of Jesus ..Pauls epistles..Romans thru to Hebrews...then Letters by the Apostle James and Peter and Jude ..Last book is Revelation ..by the Apostle John banished on the Isle of Patmos .. Gods Word is inspired by God...men wrote as the were moved upon by the Holy Spirit.. Jesus Christ was promised in Genesis 3.15 and was born in a manger ..lived a sinless life and died for sinners .. on the third day was resurrected..and told His disciples to go preach the Good News to all the world ..The Good News that man can be forgiven of sin ,have a new birth and have fellowshipped restored with God.. and be filled with the Holy Spirit ..and thru faith ,hope and charity glorify the Heavenly Father.... As for dinosaurs ..the Bible mentions sea monsters in the book of Job .. Creation Mueseum near Cincinatti is a place I have wanted to visit which has a wealth of info about creation and dinosaurs .. To say that the Bible is just a book of stories is demeaning to it's Author .. Prohecies written thousands of yrs ago have come to pass and the words of Jesus are coming to pass now and in the days to come...much of the Bible is prophetic and alot has to do with the nation of Israel which is in the news headlines each and everyday...Israel .. from which was born Jesus Christ

Dude, sentences and paragraphs. They make things much easier to read.

I gave up about two lines in.

Dude, sentences and paragraphs. They make things much easier to read.

I gave up about two lines in.

In short, he has no answers for dinosaurs and says the Bible calls them sea monsters.

Unless maybe they were sea monsters before they evolved onto land? I'd buy that.

Dont assume that I havent read the Bible, or know what it says. I just have a different take on it than you.

"To say that the Bible is just a book of stories is demeaning to it's Author"

I believe the Bible was written by men, and God explained creation to them in a way they could understand. Nothing demeaning at all. Its the greatest book ever written, I believe the solutions to all of the issues we face in this world are in it.

I believe the story of Jesus as truth and fact; but Jonah getting swallowed by a whale, I seriously doubt that actually happened. But the point is, to me its not important if it happened or not. What is important is the lesson, christians should follow the path given to them by God and not go against his wishes.

You obviously missed the "by and large" part. I believe some of the stories, but many of them are simply beyond possability. I place the value of these stories in what they teach, if they actually happened or not is not important to me.