Presidential Debate

Canes00

I liked it but I figured some of the atheists on the board may not. :)

I do not appreciate being labeled by someone that doesn't even know me. I have said before that my beliefs are my beliefs and I do not feel the need to discuss my personal beliefs on a message board. I am only talking about the scientific theory of evolution, not religion.

But while we are labeling each other...you're an asshole.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not appreciate being labeled by someone that doesn't even know me. I have said before that my beliefs are my beliefs and I do not feel the need to discuss my personal beliefs on a message board. I am only talking about the scientific theory of evolution, not religion.

Thanks it must have been an evolving thing.

Is it your time of the month?

Is it your time of the month?

Haha. That's hilarious! Because I must be on my period because I got upset at someone for labeling me an atheist, when they don't know me.

That joke was funny...when I was in middle school.

Dont assume that I havent read the Bible, or know what it says. I just have a different take on it than you.

"To say that the Bible is just a book of stories is demeaning to it's Author"

I believe the Bible was written by men, and God explained creation to them in a way they could understand. Nothing demeaning at all. Its the greatest book ever written, I believe the solutions to all of the issues we face in this world are in it.

I believe the story of Jesus as truth and fact; but Jonah getting swallowed by a whale, I seriously doubt that actually happened. But the point is, to me its not important if it happened or not. What is important is the lesson, christians should follow the path given to them by God and not go against his wishes.

You obviously missed the "by and large" part. I believe some of the stories, but many of them are simply beyond possability. I place the value of these stories in what they teach, if they actually happened or not is not important to me.

Jesus , who you said you believe in...as truth and fact ...said this''For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly,so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth'' Matthew 12.40..Was Jesus telling a lie here ... Jesus said this actually happened ..using it as an example of His death ,burial and resurrection..

Imo its a metaphor. Jesus explained it to Matthew in a way that he, and the people who read it later could easily understand.

I dont believe that either one of us has any intention of changing the others mind, this was simply a discussion about different points of view and various understandings. I dont understand why you are unable to open your mind to the possability that I simply see things differently, I think you are wrong but I accept that as your point of view.

Edited by redtiger

Imo its a metaphor. Jesus explained it to Matthew in a way that he, and the people who read it later could easily understand.

I dont believe that either one of us has any intention of changing the others mind, this was simply a discussion about different points of view and various understandings. I dont understand why you are unable to open your mind to the possability that I simply see things differently, I think you are wrong but I accept that as your point of view.

Would you assume the whole book of Jonah is a metaphor and never happened historically??

I believe that Jonah was real, that he was a prophet of God, that at some point he turned from Gods wishes, was punished and eventually forgiven for it. That he went to be a great force for God.

To me thats all that matters. I dont think its important if he was really swallowed be a whale/fish or not. The fish brings interest to the story, it also represents how Jonah was hopelessly traped by his own doing and only through God was he able to escape his situation.

Edited by redtiger

It is an allegory. Poor Jonah did not do what God wanted, so God derailed his plans until he saw the error of his ways. Just as God does with a lot of us, we spend time in the wilderness. It can be literal or metaphoric.

huh?

What caused life on earth to begin? Science cannot explain it. It seems to me that science runs into "roadblocks" that it cant explain. Animals changed but science often has no reason why. Imo God wanted them to change or to cease to exist. I think these "roadblocks" are proof of God at work.

Edited by redtiger