#11 Union / #6 Graham

Deleted Account

Union is the ONE team on that half of the bracket I didn't want Graham to draw. Both teams are 7-3. Union's losses are to Richlands (9-1, #1 in R4D3), Clintwood (9-1, #3 in WD1), and Sullivan North: three excellent teams. Graham's losses are to Richlands, Fort Chiswell (9-1, #1 in WD2), and Grayson County (8-2, and severely underseeded at #8 in WD2).

Graham's biggest win, obviously, was over Bluefield. Union's best win was J.I. Burton or Virginia High, depending on how one values the wins.

This is one that could honestly go either way.

Union is the ONE team on that half of the bracket I didn't want Graham to draw. Both teams are 7-3. Union's losses are to Richlands (9-1, #1 in R4D3), Clintwood (9-1, #3 in WD1), and Sullivan North: three excellent teams. Graham's losses are to Richlands, Fort Chiswell (9-1, #1 in WD2), and Grayson County (8-2, and severely underseeded at #8 in WD2).

Graham's biggest win, obviously, was over Bluefield. Union's best win was J.I. Burton or Virginia High, depending on how one values the wins.

If Graham can stop the run they can win. The threat of the pass is almost nonexistent.

Welcome to our GotW in the pick'em. Lol. I honestly don't know how to pick this game. I've seen both play. I would have said Union a few weeks ago. But it seems Graham has improved over the season. Coin flip?

I haven't seen Graham play since 99. What type of O are they running now?

I've only seen 1 game they've played this season (Bluefield), and God forbid Kes and Danny ever tell you what formation they're in. I honestly couldn't tell you, but it's certainly more of a power running style.

I certainly agree with you in that I did NOT want to see Graham draw Union. Actually, my stomach turned a little when I was informed of this. LOL! I also did not want to see them draw Grayson, Gretna, or Riverheads as well. The week before the final pairings appeared I actually had a whole lists of "did not want Graham to play" teams. I was so hoping that Graham would draw James River in the first round. However, the reality is in, the initial shock has worn off and Graham hosts Union.

To make matters even worse, the winner of this game will most likely play AT Dan River. This is considering there is no upset of Dan River by Stuart's Draft. Unfortunately, Graham just got into the bracket I was hoping that the G-Men would avoid.

Anyway, the big plus here is that Graham is playing at Mitchell Stadium. This is the first times the two schools have met. It is surprising that the two never played while Powell Valley and Appalachia were intact. Here is a little history lesson for all of you. In 1989, Graham (D3), Powell Valley (D2) and Appalachia (D1) all won state championships. Blacksburg (D4) also won it all that year which marked SWVA football dominance. Therefore, both schools have roots to a storied past with a very rich football tradition.

I would not consider a Union victory an upset here although the seeding may indicate otherwise. I have yet to see Graham play as well as they did against Bluefield. If the Bluefield game defense would happen to show up again, the G-Men could go far and cause some damage in D2. We will just have to wait and see which Graham team shows up this Saturday. The last time I saw Graham play on a Saturday it was really, really, bad. That day, Grayson County plowed into Mitchell and had all intentions of taking the turf home with them. The mental mistakes and penalties continue to self destruct the G-Men at times. If Graham can keep these issues at-bay the G-Men win. If not, Union packs up for the, most likely, long trip to Dan River. Not matter what happens Saturday night, the G-Men have made a remarkable turn around and are certainly poised for the future. Every Graham fan is aware of this and to all future Graham opponents ... BEWARE! Go G-Men!

Union 24

Graham 18

Edited by starcityfootballfan

Union is playing with a ton of confidence... I take the Bears ..27-22

I've only seen 1 game they've played this season (Bluefield), and God forbid Kes and Danny ever tell you what formation they're in. I honestly couldn't tell you, but it's certainly more of a power running style.

Mostly I formation or pro set. Occasional shotgun

I will have to disagree, the teams that beat Graham had the following traits....

1. A huge offensive line, that locked up our defensive lineman,which Union does not have.

2. An offense that spreads you out and attacks with the run, which union does not do.

3. A quarterback who can beat you with his arm enough to keep you honest. I don't think union has that.

That being said, union will line up old school style and punch you in the mouth. Here it comes stop it. Lots of T formation with some motion out of the backfield. Don't get me wrong, this team can beat us if we don't play our very best. They are a good team,but I feel we are much better equipped to handle that style than the teams that have beaten us. Its kind of like playing ourselves, or the Carlock Graham teams. Should be a great game.

I will have to disagree, the teams that beat Graham had the following traits....

1. A huge offensive line, that locked up our defensive lineman,which Union does not have.

2. An offense that spreads you out and attacks with the run, which union does not do.

3. A quarterback who can beat you with his arm enough to keep you honest. I don't think union has that.

That being said, union will line up old school style and punch you in the mouth. Here it comes stop it. Lots of T formation with some motion out of the backfield. Don't get me wrong, this team can beat us if we don't play our very best. They are a good team,but I feel we are much better equipped to handle that style than the teams that have beaten us. Its kind of like playing ourselves, or the Carlock Graham teams. Should be a great game.

I hope you're right...

I still believe that Fort and Grayson beat Graham with the running game, although they both ahd really good QB's, who like you said, kept Graham honest.

They both had huge lines that opened up big holes and they got big chunks of yardage.

If Union runs from a tighter formation, then I'd be interested to see how Graham does against that when facing a quality team.

I hope you are correct and Graham fares better against that type of offense.

I guess we will see on saturday night. I'll be there cheering them on.

D-2 sure is strong this year (seems like every year).... much different than the Region IV Division 3 playoffs in recent years, which seem to have only 1 or 2 quality teams.... Glad Graham made the move, it makes for some exciting matchups in the playoffs.

I've seen Fort Chiswell.......Union is much more physical that Fort. Not just the Lineman, but their backs headhunt. I dont recall seeing a Union runningback taking a hit, as they tend to lower their shoulders. Also, Jake McCray can fly. I'm not sure Union can stop Graham on a consistant basis, but Union will hit paydirt early and often also. I can see this being one of those games where the last team with the ball wins.

Union may be the right were they want to be not a lot of hype or publicity this year not a lot of talk about them outside the lpd don't under estimate these guys they will hit hard and play tough I don't know but this may be the best game until the west finals union 22 Graham 21 union goes for 2 late in the game.

I think union will not have a problem moving the ball they had no trouble moving it on the blues just did not turn it into points think graham can get some scores quick but I take the bears late by 2

I'm picking Graham to win by 8 points.... they have improved throughout the season, added a few wrinkles.... played a very good Fort Chiswell team really close just 10 days ago....really, should've won that game.... Can't afford to give up too many yards with penalties and silly mistakes.... Playing at Mitchell with the band blaring on a cold saturday night.....Gotta take the G-Men... Graham teams in the past tended to get better as the season went along, I believe that to be the case with this years team also..... I see a lot of confidence in them lately....they know they can play with the big boys.... Graham has good team speed also, not sure what kind of speed Union has.