The 2013 Atlanta Braves Thread:

hokie07

Since the offseason moves are starting and will only pick up from here on out, I figured I'd go ahead and start the 2013 thread to document some of the news between now and Spring Training.

So with that...

David Ross just signed a 2-year $6.2 million deal with the Red Sox (ATL offered 2 years at $3.25 million). Can't really blame him for chasing that type of money at age 36 this late in his career as a backup, but it definitely sucks. I don't think we'll find anyone who was as productive as him when McCann was on the bench.

Since the offseason moves are starting and will only pick up from here on out, I figured I'd go ahead and start the 2013 thread to document some of the news between now and Spring Training.

So with that...

David Ross just signed a 2-year $6.2 million deal with the Red Sox (ATL offered 2 years at $3.25 million). Can't really blame him for chasing that type of money at age 36 this late in his career as a backup, but it definitely sucks. I don't think we'll find anyone who was as productive as him when McCann was on the bench.

Oh NO...I hadn't read that about Rossy!!! Total let down..thanks Hokie07 for spreading bad news. :) I know Rossy wanted to come back to the Braves...but on the backend of his career, I can't blame him. The Red Sox can spend money with the best of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like BJ Upton will be playing in the ATL next season. Upton does not bring the same intangibles as Bourn did offensively or defensively, but he is not the step-down I expected.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8687612/bj-upton-tampa-bay-rays-agrees-deal-atlanta-braves-says-source

I'm a huge fan of this deal. It should allow Prado to move back down to 3rd base.

1.) I'm alright with Upton. No way we could get Bourn without severely overpaying. Upton is younger and $3-4 million cheaper.

2.) He's definitely not Bourn, but Upton was only 2 HR's shy of a 30/30 season and he swings a good RH bat which is one of our biggest needs. Even a 25/30 season will make him worth his 5-year $75.25 million contract.

3.) I still think we can get a decent CF like Victorino for cheap. Rumor is that we are trading a SP to Minnesota for Denard Span. Depending on who it is, I wouldn't really mind it.

I'm a huge fan of this deal. It should allow Prado to move back down to 3rd base.

1.) I'm alright with Upton. No way we could get Bourn without severely overpaying. Upton is younger and $3-4 million cheaper.

2.) He's definitely not Bourn, but Upton was only 2 HR's shy of a 30/30 season and he swings a good RH bat which is one of our biggest needs. Even a 25/30 season will make him worth his 5-year $75.25 million contract.

3.) I still think we can get a decent CF like Victorino for cheap. Rumor is that we are trading a SP to Minnesota for Denard Span. Depending on who it is, I wouldn't really mind it.

I like the RH bat, the power, and the speed. I just hope fans don't expect too much. Basically he's a .250 hitter with RH power who strikeouts a lot. He's not a savior. He's the compliment to Heyward and Freeman that Dan Uggla hasn't been able to be.

I like the RH bat, the power, and the speed. I just hope fans don't expect too much. Basically he's a .250 hitter with RH power who strikeouts a lot. He's not a savior. He's the compliment to Heyward and Freeman that Dan Uggla hasn't been able to be.

Agreed. A RH version of Heyward is a fair comparison. Neither really hit for a strong average, but both are good defensively and are legit threats for 30/30 seasons. If we can get that kind of production out of Upton then we'll be fine.

FWIW, I think Uggla finally wakes up this year and is productive. He can't get much worse.

Agreed. A RH version of Heyward is a fair comparison. Neither really hit for a strong average, but both are good defensively and are legit threats for 30/30 seasons. If we can get that kind of production out of Upton then we'll be fine.

FWIW, I think Uggla finally wakes up this year and is productive. He can't get much worse.

I hope so. He will probably bat 7th or 8th (at least after McCann comes back) so maybe that will give him a chance to work things out.

Rumor is that we are trading a SP to Minnesota for Denard Span. Depending on who it is, I wouldn't really mind it.

And strike that rumor. The Nats just traded for him. Fvck.

I'll give you credit, you are an eternal optimist lol.

I wouldn't go as far as to call me an "eternal optimist," but I do see a silver lining. How much worse can he get???

Hanson traded to the Angels for Jordan Waldon. Waldon should take Durbin's spot in the pen and clears another 4 mil to help figure out the LF/3B situation.

I love this move because it saves the Braves 3-4 million and they get rid of an overrated pitcher. Now ATL can make a serious run at a everyday LF with Prado moving to 3rd.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm...getting closer to pitchers and catchers and Bourn is still a floater...what are the chances we might see a Bourn-Upton-Heyward outfield this year? Braves might not be able to afford a long term deal on Bourn, but might be able to drop a big 1 year or 2 year deal in his lap if no one else meets Boras' $100 million price tag...Especially with Upton on board now, with Bourm the Braves might actually be in position to make a legit run...which, could look good to Bourn? The CF market is not looking very good right now compared to when the season ended...seems like most teams are set now.

what do you guys think?

hmmm...getting closer to pitchers and catchers and Bourn is still a floater...what are the chances we might see a Bourn-Upton-Heyward outfield this year? Braves might not be able to afford a long term deal on Bourn, but might be able to drop a big 1 year or 2 year deal in his lap if no one else meets Boras' $100 million price tag...Especially with Upton on board now, with Bourm the Braves might actually be in position to make a legit run...which, could look good to Bourn? The CF market is not looking very good right now compared to when the season ended...seems like most teams are set now.

what do you guys think?

Less than zero. Not even a consideration. Better chance they will trade for Justin Upton. If not then they will go to spring training with what they have.

Less than zero. Not even a consideration. Better chance they will trade for Justin Upton. If not then they will go to spring training with what they have.

read somewhere the Rangers have interest in him...but slim pickin's after that...i dunno i could see the Braves throwing some cash at him on a year or two deal...they have some money if they want to spend it.