The 2013 Atlanta Braves Thread:

hokie07

I was hoping to be wrong in the Prado deal, but he was an arbitration guy who is in a single year contract. I have confidence in Simmons leading off. He has the speed and shown some ability to make contact at the plate before the hand injury. Will just need to change his approach a little at the plate.

Johnson isnt bad, but hit RH pitching better than LH pitching, so if they want to platoon him and Francisco, that needs to change, and Francisco needs to improve in the field as a whole. Long term, this is probably great for Atlanta.

I saw that L/R split too and the more I learn about Johnson the more I think he will end up as the starter. His overall numbers last year were quite good and were in line with Prado's. Francisco can provide RH power off the bench but like you said, he's a defensive liability. He might become more useful down the road though as I think one year of daily inter-league play is all it's going to take to get the DH debate going again. In my opinion both leagues will have it sooner than later.

Edited by BigD4VT

Great trade by the Braves. I, too, hate to see Prado leave, but the chances of signing him after the season were very slim. So they land Upton who is locked in for the next three years; ATL comes out ahead in this deal. The defensive ability of this team will be phenomenal.

I hate to see Prado go...Bourn's options are now Mets, Rangers, Mariners at best....he should have stuck with the Braves.

I think we still need more bat...and a better infield...you guys know of anyone else out there at this point that could meet that need?

I hate to see Prado go...Bourn's options are now Mets, Rangers, Mariners at best....he should have stuck with the Braves.

I think we still need more bat...and a better infield...you guys know of anyone else out there at this point that could meet that need?

I think this lineup is fine now there really isnt a real weakness in the starting 9

More bat? This could be the most deadly offense the Braves have ever had. Power at every spot except lead-off. Speed, defense, pitching. It's all there. Loaded lineup. Loaded bench. Loaded rotation. Loaded bullpen. Frank Wren has done a great job this winter and this trade is the power move that makes the Braves serious Word Series contenders.

More bat? This could be the most deadly offense the Braves have ever had. Power at every spot except lead-off. Speed, defense, pitching. It's all there. Loaded lineup. Loaded bench. Loaded rotation. Loaded bullpen. Frank Wren has done a great job this winter and this trade is the power move that makes the Braves serious Word Series contenders.

need more bat...more bat...more bat...more bat.

The line up is there, but they have to produce!

The only thing I am concerned with in the lineup is contact. Plenty of pop. Hoping they can string together enough basehits and walks to go along with the long balls.

This.

The Braves could very well lead the league in not only runs and HR's, but they will probably lead by 100+ in strikeouts by the end of the season.

• 3 weeks later...

career suicide!

I don't know. Sounds like a pretty good deal for Bourn. $48 million for four years. Not what he was originally hoping for but still pretty good for a 30 year old who's greatest asset is speed. When this contract is up his speed will have declined considerably.

I don't know. Sounds like a pretty good deal for Bourn. $48 million for four years. Not what he was originally hoping for but still pretty good for a 30 year old who's greatest asset is speed. When this contract is up his speed will have declined considerably.

yeah good deal for him...take the money and run...once this deal is up I think he's done. There is really no one behind him in Cleveland though that you wouldn't want to pitch to...so i'd say he will see a lot of crappy pitches to hit.

yeah good deal for him...take the money and run...once this deal is up I think he's done. There is really no one behind him in Cleveland though that you wouldn't want to pitch to...so i'd say he will see a lot of crappy pitches to hit.

Lance. NICK SWISHER!! [/sarcasm]

460x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chances Uggla gets benched at some point this season? He has been dreadful at the plate thus far into spring. I hope our most recent acquisitions turn out better than the Uggla debacle.

Uggla has struggled but he's also contributed. He led the league in walks last year and has been among the team leaders in every offensive category except batting average. I don't see him being benched. Especially in this lineup where there will be little pressure on him. He's going to bat 7th. He doesn't have to be the big bat there.

Uggla has struggled but he's also contributed. He led the league in walks last year and has been among the team leaders in every offensive category except batting average. I don't see him being benched. Especially in this lineup where there will be little pressure on him. He's going to bat 7th. He doesn't have to be the big bat there.

Uggla was not brought in to simply "contribute," he was brought in to lead. And he sure isn't getting paid the salary of a mere "contributing" player. You are right though, unless Pasternicky improves defensively or someone else emerges it is unlikely Uggla gets benched.