The 2013 Atlanta Braves Thread:

hokie07

I'm lovin Evan Gattis on intential talk, hes a pretty funny guy. Probably one of their better hitters right now.......strange that someone who had to win roster spot in spring training doing better than a few people making Millions to strike out.

Braves are having another mini-collapse..lost 4 in a row, still 5.5 up though...they are being streaky again...would like to see them spread the lead out a little more before the break.

We're around the 70-game mark, and 4 NL teams have better winning percentages than the best AL team.

And most of those teams are in the NL Central. The Cards can't lose right now (even though they lost yesterday...), and it figures that the first year the Pirates are any good, they're 3rd in their division. Poor Bucs.

But 4 NL teams having a better winning % than the best AL team? That's unheard of. What I find fascinating is that the Braves, Cards, Reds, and Pirates (the four teams ahead of the Red Sox) have all more or less built their teams through drafts and development. Good to see these teams' patience starting to be rewarded.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Hudson is out for the rest of the season, bad break for him and the braves (pun intended). Do you think the braves now have some incentive to trade for another starter?

yeah tough loss for them I think they will trade for another starter

Braves are lucky to be 8 games up and playing in a weak division...everyone else is below .500

The annual September collapse is only 7 weeks away.

The NL East is pathetic this year. I don't think any September collapse will cause the Braves to miss the playoffs.

FWIW, the best 3 teams in the NL, and the best 2 in all baseball, are in the Central. Cincinnati, 3rd in the Central, would lead 3 of the other 5 divisions.

Atlanta also has the largest lead of any division leader. All other divisions are within 3.5 games.

damn...still streakin' lol 10 in a row now.

Up to a 99.9% chance of making the playoffs. Up 12.5 on the Gnats. It's "book it" time.

The AL has all the suspense. Atlanta's winning the East, and the 3 Central teams will make up the 2 Wild Card + 1 Division spots. The West has a little suspense, but Arizona's been a .500 team all year, and LA's showing some feeble signs of life.

At least my "Kansas City +.500" bet is looking very nice now. If KC can hold their young talent and cultivate the farm system, that team will be around for a while. New ownership there, too. That team will win a Division title in the next 3 years. Mark it down.

I thought there was only one wildcard.

they have that wildcard playoff game to see who the real wildcard is...or at least thats what I thought. Thats how the Braves went home last year anyway.

they have that wildcard playoff game to see who the real wildcard is...or at least thats what I thought. Thats how the Braves went home last year anyway.

Yep, a new rule change authored by Bud "CAN'T TARNISH THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME" Selig. Started last year. Of course, the Braves were the first team to get burned by it.

I thought there was only one wildcard.

Yep, a new rule change authored by Bud "CAN'T TARNISH THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME" Selig. Started last year. Of course, the Braves were the first team to get burned by it.

Just shows you how much I watch/pay attention to the game...

Baseball is dead to me until Pete Rose gets in the HoF.

Good article from Grantland: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/70601/get-lucky-and-dont-screw-up-the-secret-to-the-atlanta-braves-success

The Atlanta Braves are suddenly on an 11-game win streak, 13½ games up on their nearest division rival. How in the world did that happen?

In a way, the 2013 Braves are an extension of their 15-year run of National League dominance, an achievement the likes of which we’ll probably never see again. Anyone who rooted for another NL East team near the turn of the century probably quivers with anger at the memory of an Atlanta team that was almost perfectly constructed to dispassionately steamroll all comers, year in and year out. It was an awesome sight to behold, or it would’ve been if I hadn’t been angry enough that my eyes were bleeding while it was going on.

Books have been written on the success of the Cardinals, A’s, and Rays, and could be written on what the Pirates and Astros are doing now. But the Braves’ dynasty wasn’t about swimming against the current or seeking out every small advantage — it came together almost by accident, but once it had, it was a master class in avoiding the fatal mistake.

You can’t count on drafting two future Hall of Famers in the span of a couple years, but the Braves fell into Tom Glavine and Chipper Jones. You can’t count on adding a third Hall of Famer in an unremarkable trade, and yet John Smoltz–for–Doyle Alexander happened. And sure, signing the best pitcher in the league to a big free-agent contract is a pretty safe move, but nobody could have foreseen Greg Maddux winning the Cy Young in each of his first three years in Atlanta.

Acquiring and developing these players took skill as well as luck, but it’s not all that uncommon for a team like this to come together. What set those Braves apart is that once that team came together, it never stayed completely static. General manager John Schuerholz assembled the best starting rotation of all time and was unafraid to let any piece go when the time was right. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Steve Avery, Kevin Millwood, and Denny Neagle were all cashiered when better value could be had. None of the team’s signature position players — Ron Gant, Ryan Klesko, Terry Pendleton, Fred McGriff, Andruw Jones, Javy Lopez, Jeff Blauser — got the kind of contract (except Chipper Jones, who hit like one of the five best third basemen of all time until the very end) that leaves the Phillies annually on the hook for $25 million of largely ineffective Ryan Howard, or saddles the Yankees with (at least at the moment) a $45 million left side of the infield that’s played a combined six games in 2013.

The Braves never spent big money on a closer, rolling over relief aces year to year and turning young guys who threw hard into 30-save men five years before Billy Beane made it cool.

This was made possible by a relentless stream of homegrown players, many of whom came from Georgia, the Carolinas, and northern Florida. Blauser became Rafael Furcal, Marquis Grissom became Andruw Jones, and Lopez (not immediately, but eventually) became Brian McCann.

Schuerholz didn’t win so consistently because he bet big and won. He just made a series of small moves, most of which paid off, and he avoided the killer mistake. And while the current Braves are under new leadership, Frank Wren’s team is largely built the same way.

[h=3]Get lucky[/h] Wren pounced on Justin Upton, Dan Uggla, and Jordan Walden in trades when all were undervalued. Andrelton Simmons is probably the best defender in the game, but there was no guarantee he’d hit even as well as he has in the major leagues. Kris Medlen pitched way over his head last year. Evan Gattis is a Disney movie character who fell into the Braves’ lap. And Chris Johnson, a throw-in in the Upton trade, is leading the National League in batting average, which might be the most ridiculous stroke of all.

[h=3]Buy local and build from within[/h] The Braves sit in the middle of a hotbed of amateur baseball, and they own it, as is borne out by their extraordinary hit rate on high draft picks. Simmons was drafted out of a junior college in Oklahoma and Medlen and Freddie Freeman came from California. But many players were drafted by the Braves in the third round or higher from a school in Georgia or a state that abuts it: McCann, Mike Minor, Jason Heyward, Alex Wood, Craig Kimbrel, and Jordan Schafer.

[h=3]Avoid the big mistake[/h] The Braves have actually had a lot of things go poorly, especially in recent years, from two key bullpen arms blowing out earlier this year to Heyward and B.J. Upton struggling mightily this season. But there’s always a solution, and the organization is never hesitant to go to it when things go bad. When shortstop prospect Tyler Pastornicky cratered last season, in stepped Simmons. When Tommy Hanson was used up, Wren dumped him for Walden. By refusing to throw good money after bad, Wren has avoided the fatal wound and the Braves are in line for their third playoff appearance in four years while their would-be competition, the Phillies and Nationals, have soiled their proverbial beds.

It’s a methodical, unsentimental, not-particularly-innovative approach. But it works.

Starting to look like '95 all of the sudden

Braves Magic Number to win the Division is only 33 and it's early Aug....that's a number you have to let sink in for a min to really appreciate.

Nats have won 5 in a row and are still 14 games back :) gotta love it.

Braves Magic Number to Clinch the Division is down to 29 now by the way...not too shabby for Aug 15th.

If things continue on current pace the Braves would clinch around Sept 10th - 12th at Miami..