East v West

redtiger

So, I know very little about the teams from the east. How are GW, Honaker and Battle gonna stack up aginst their opponents?

Any info about the East schools would also be appreciated(colors, mascots, records, offensive style, anything).

Edited by redtiger

Someone on VaPreps said that Essex runs the spread offense and is very fast. They are the Trojans and looking on their website, it looks like their colors are purple and gold/yellow. They are also undefeated right now.

franklin, runs it right at ya, pass defence is susposed to be good,GW better be ready..... sussex has some speed like to spread things around, franklin beat sussex earlier this year.....laid a beat down on them.. sussex (tigers) franklin (broncos) sussex have one loss i believe ,franklin undefeated

Edited by cwood78

franklin, runs it right at ya, pass defence is susposed to be good,GW better be ready.....

When Clintwood played Franklin in the state championship 3 yrs ago...Franklin did not kick the extra point but went for the 2 point conversion.. kind of reminded me of old school Appalchia Bulldogs football...just run the ball down your throat! They ran the ball very hard and had a stout defense... Clintwood lost that day 28-20 .. Looks like another good Franklin team has shown up awaiting GW....Best wishes to GW ..you played great against the GreenWave... Hope you can come back to Salem the following week and play our other West team...the Honaker Tigers!:)

how good is sussex central?

They are now 12-1 on the season. In the regular season the only beat one team with a winning record. That was Colonial Beach who finished the year 7-5. Sussex is averaging 41.7 PPG and allowing 15.4 PPG.

They are consistantly one of the best programs in D1 from the eastern part of the state. Only one losing season going back 14 years. Also won at state title in 2003.

Clintwood played these guys last year in this round and won that game 17-8 so the Clintwood posters here could probably tell you much more from what they saw last year.

They are now 12-1 on the season. In the regular season the only beat one team with a winning record. That was Colonial Beach who finished the year 7-5. Sussex is averaging 41.7 PPG and allowing 15.4 PPG.

They are consistantly one of the best programs in D1 from the eastern part of the state. Only one losing season going back 14 years. Also won at state title in 2003.

Clintwood played these guys last year in this round and won that game 17-8 so the Clintwood posters here could probably tell you much more from what they saw last year.

Outstanding run defense...shut the Wave out in the first 3 quarters....Honaker better be able to pass the football imo...

That was the best team Clintwood played last year. Very physical, very talented, very good. They graduated a good number of kids that played against Clintwood but still look to be very good.

Facts on Franklin High School:

Location: Franklin, VA ... 45 miles west of Norfolk and 9 miles north of North Caroloina state border. Franklin's population is 8,400 while the school enrollment (9-12) is 445.

Mascot: Broncos

Colors: Blue/Gold

District: Tri-Rivers

State Football Championships: 2

2004-over JI Burton

2008-over Clintwood

I saw them play in 2008 versus Clintwood. Despite the long driving distance to the Roanoke Valley, I would say a crowd of maybe 700 followed the Broncos. Make no mistake about this ... as far as fan base, support, and enthusiasm Franklin does not compare to the SWVA schools ... any of them! Of the four schools making the D1 and D2 finals that year, Franklin had the smallest fan base. However, there is no denying that their football team "got the job done!"

Good luck to George Wythe!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

Have fun and be safe on your trip over their GW fans. It's kind of a thug mentality with their fans and they're going to try to intimidate you and harass you. Their players came off as cocky and disrespectful when I saw them play and judging from some of the Altavista people's comments from Friday none of that has changed.

agreed, was was gonna post something like that.......east is far different than west....we all have our own hecklers.......they take it a step .......... further. been there 4 times........and they werent playin anyone from our neck of the woods..........

Edited by cwood78

Just wear your camo and orange to the game.... they'll leave you alone. A couple of thugs came over to the Graham side back in 95 (State Title Game)...sat down in the middle of some Graham fans talking a bunch of crap...A few Graham fans wearing camo and orange stood up told them to leave and go to their own side....or they would carry them over there....I've never seen 2 people get up and move so fast to get away from there....

Actually, they're more of a power run team than a spread team. They don't throw much but when they do it's usually from the shotgun. They line up with split backs and the qb under center most of the time. Had absolutely no problem with the people over there last year. Couldn't have been treated better. They are 1-1 in state title games as D1. Bath beat them handily in 01, 53-16 and they beat Bath 20-0 two years later. They are 1-1 in title games as D2. Beat Lebanon 56-7 in 91 and lost to PV 33-12 in 94. They're a good tradition rich school who are super physical and usually have some kids that can run. Clintwood had to drive 7 hours there to play last year and had 2-3 times more fans at the game. I wouldn't expect a big crowd. There are several youtube videos of last years team if you want to check out how they line up.

Dang, looks like sussex central got a 6 to 6 and a half hour drive to get to honaker

Can you imagine the culture shock those guys will be in? They come from an area with a large population around them....all the way to a "hole in the ground" that literally is yet to have a stop light (soon to change).

Can you imagine the culture shock those guys will be in? They come from an area with a large population around them....all the way to a "hole in the ground" that literally is yet to have a stop light (soon to change).

Actually, that school is out in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but farms and fields.

Sussex struggled with Bath and Parry McCluer. Bath was ahead of them in the 4th 10-7 before Sussex scored with 2 minutes to go. Against PM it was 14 all going into the 4th before Sussex pulled away 30-14. These 2 teams I think are below average. They beat I thought a really good team in Lunenburg.

This isn't accurate in the least. Let me educate this board on Sussex, if I may.

Sussex is on the "other side" of the James. The one where the settlers wanted to land, but the river bottom was too narrow and rocky. The population of Sussex, VA (256) is less than the population of Pocahontas (441). Reread that last sentence again: that's not a mistype. The entire population of Sussex County is just a shade over 12K, which is less than Dickenson County (15K).

The ONLY major road through that place is 460. And it is a vast expanse of nothingness. Flat. Swampy. And nothing around it. The only routes to Williamsburg from Sussex are (1) a ferry, (2) going back up to Petersburg and driving north to hit I-64, or (3) driving down to take U.S. 60 to Newport News, then driving I-64 back up.

SEVA gets an inaccurate reputation based on Newport News, Virginia Beach, etc. It's not true.

If anything, those boys will feel right at home. In fact, I'm sure of it.