Former Colorado coach Bill McCartney claims racism in Jon Embree firing

blueinbama

Yesterday I was listening to ESPN, and Stephen A. Smith was on his racial soapbox fueling the fire in the Jon Embree firing. Apparently, because Embree is black, the "politically correct stance" is to support the opinion that black coaches aren't given second chances as much as white coaches. I call bs. We are in a "win now, or see you later" world when it comes to college football coaches, as unfortunate as that may be, and Jon Embree was not fired because he was black. Those who claim he wasn't given another year because he wasn't Caucasian, like former Colorado coach Bill McCartney, are, in my opinion, jumping on the "politically correct" bandwagon, and are afraid not to take this stance. As long as we support this kind of attitude, schools will be even more hesitant to hire a black coach because of the fear of being accused of racism if they have to fire a black coach. In my opinion, this attitude hurts the black coach more than it helps. What say you?

Former Colorado coaching legend Bill McCartney accused the university of racism in its handing of recently fired coach Jon Embree.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/former-colorado-coach-bill-mccartney-claims-racism-jon-040615672--ncaaf.html

Edited by blueinbama

What people who play the race card fail to see is that by doing so "to protect the black man/woman", they are still judging people by the color of their skin, not the content of their character. It goes farther than that, though. There is a significant "victim complex" in some cultures, where people in said culture look for any perceived slight to play the victim. It's their comfort zone. And until they're publicly, roundly decried for that, without fear of political correctness, it will continued to be fostered by our society.

Agree 100% with that. There are plenty of qualified black coaches......but if it doesnt work out, there is no good way to end it without subjectiong the university to these types of claims. If it's not the coach making statements, you've got the Stephen A Smith's of the world ready to jump in at a moments notice.

Embree's headcoaching career is officially over after this....he'll be lucky to even land a job as a coordinator. Should have just stayed quiet and moved on. Everyone knows that Colorado football wasn't a 2 year fix.....that program is a total mess.

I'm not a fan of Smith, but Embree was thrown into a situation that has problems within the institution and given two years to right the ship. Would a white coach have been given more time, I can only speculate.

My question is has the AD been given more time to fix the mess that is Colorado football. If he has, Embree should have been given the same courtesy.

One thing I know about Bill McCartney is that he could give a rip about being politically correct. He calls things the way he sees them.

I'm not a fan of Smith, but Embree was thrown into a situation that has problems within the institution and given two years to right the ship. Would a white coach have been given more time, I can only speculate.

My question is has the AD been given more time to fix the mess that is Colorado football. If he has, Embree should have been given the same courtesy.

One thing I know about Bill McCartney is that he could give a rip about being politically correct. He calls things the way he sees them.

This is much bigger than Embree or the University of Colorado. How will a university looking for a head coach treat this issue? Will they be afraid to hire a black coach because they fear the backlash if he has to be fired down the road? That's the larger issue here. When the Stephen A. Smiths and the Bill McCartneys of the world realize they are doing more harm than good, the sooner the fear of hiring a black coach will be removed.

Edited by blueinbama

This really kinda grinds my gears a little. They guy coached Colorodo for 2 years, right? In 2011, their record was 3-10 I think. This year they won one ballgame (1-11). So a 2 year record of 4-21? Black or White ... YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!! How could you possibly claim racism when you're not doing the job you're hired for. With this record and no sign of improvement, would you keep your coach another year if you were the AD?

This really kinda grinds my gears a little. They guy coached Colorodo for 2 years, right? In 2011, their record was 3-10 I think. This year they won one ballgame (1-11). So a 2 year record of 4-21? Black or White ... YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!! How could you possibly claim racism when you're not doing the job you're hired for. With this record and no sign of improvement, would you keep your coach another year if you were the AD?

Well, according to some, because he's black.

They should fire the AD also....for expecting that mess to be fixed in 2 years.

Anyone taking over that mess should get atleast 5 years. It'll never be fixed if the keep firing coaches every 2 years.

This ^^^^^

They should fire the AD also....for expecting that mess to be fixed in 2 years.

Anyone taking over that mess should get atleast 5 years. It'll never be fixed if the keep firing coaches every 2 years.

After 2 years (2 Full Seasons), you should have some idea of the direction it's going and be able to form somewhat of an opinion if it's going where it should IMO, if you're on the inside and in the know on all the details.

What about the guy from Southern Miss? He was fired after 1 season because he went 0-12. I love TN but I was calling for Derek Dooley's head after his 2nd year. The Laker's fired Mike Brown after 4 games in the NBA. Gene Chizik,John L. Smith...I mean we could go on about coaches who have only had 1,2, and just 3 seasons at the helm. The end result is wins and losses. The nature of college football is what it is.

What about the guy from Southern Miss? He was fired after 1 season because he went 0-12. I love TN but I was calling for Derek Dooley's head after his 2nd year. The Laker's fired Mike Brown after 4 games in the NBA. Gene Chizik,John L. Smith...I mean we could go on about coaches who have only had 1,2, and just 3 seasons at the helm. The end result is wins and losses. The nature of college football is what it is.

Southern Miss had 18 straight winning seasons before this year, and the coach tried to change offensive systems when he clearly didn't have the personnel for it. That was a justifiable firing.

Southern Miss had 18 straight winning seasons before this year, and the coach tried to change offensive systems when he clearly didn't have the personnel for it. That was a justifiable firing.

While true, I think the point he was trying to make is the fact that there was no uproar over firing a guy after one season who was white, while all hell has broken loose over the firing of a black coach after two years. That's the total hypocrisy here, and that's why these idiots like Stephen A. Smith fail to realize they are shooting themselves in the foot by making such a big deal over it. They are making it harder for black coaches in the long run and they are too freaking racist and stupid to realize what they are doing. What school in their right mind wants to put themselves through that nonsense.

Edited by blueinbama

Strong rumors that the Buffs want Petrino. That might be the ideal spot for both of them. Petrino stays in a big time conference, with a chance to built up a program that has stunk for a decade, and CU needs to make a splash to have a chance of becoming relevant quick.

Strong rumors that the Buffs want Petrino. That might be the ideal spot for both of them. Petrino stays in a big time conference, with a chance to built up a program that has stunk for a decade, and CU needs to make a splash to have a chance of becoming relevant quick.

that would a good place for him to go..... plenty of ''buffalo gals'' out there

that would a good place for him to go..... plenty of ''buffalo gals'' out there

This just posted on Twitter:

Jim Dunaway ‏@jimdunaway

Not pg1 of Petrino Resume RT @KyleRingo Colo AD Bohn on rumor:"That's absolutely not true. We're not hiring Bobby Petrino. You can quote me"