Honaker vs george wythe

litltiger

ive been surprised with a few games all season with honaker and today was one of them I will have to say.i had doubts in a few games,and they proved me wrong.can it happen one more time?these guys played with a lot of heart and do you all think they have the heart to win one more?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been surprised with a few games all season with honaker and today was one of them I will have to say.i had doubts in a few games,and they proved me wrong.can it happen one more time?these guys played with a lot of heart and do you all think they have the heart to win one more?

GW is GOOD! Clintwood had a hard time running the ball on them. Honakers ability to pass the ball will be key(Clintwood couldnt do it to keep the chains moving).

Im torn on this one. If Honaker wins then they can lay claim to "Greatest BDD team of all time", right now that is Haysis title ;)

Edited by redtiger

idunno, giving up 40 points to a smaller sussex team, GW is probably as big or bigger across LOS, vs honaker.....GW defence is stout....6'5 lester kid swatted the football like a bug. pullin for both teams..alitte more for honaker cause they are closer to our neck of the woods.. thats what we wanted .....all west final.... but ...to much GW .......

Edited by cwood78

idunno, giving up 40 points to a smaller sussex team, GW is probably as big or bigger across LOS, vs honaker.....GW defence is stout....6'5 lester kid swatted the football like a bug. pullin for both teams..alitte more for honaker cause they are closer to our neck of the woods.. thats what we wanted .....all west final.... but ...to much GW .......

I think Honaker matches up well with GW. GW dosen't have nearly the te Soren that Sussex had. That team was FAST. And slippery as well. Not to say GW doesn't have Any speed, just nothing like Sussex had. Honaker was able to pass te ball pretty good against Sussex, which was a key factor for me in a Honaker win. They were able to run just enough to keep em off valence and get some really good play action fakes.

I think this will be an incredible game. I'm hoping it tops what I witnessed yesterday (that will be a tall task).

My early Sunday prediction is Honaker 31 George Wythe 27.

I think Honaker matches up well with GW. GW dosen't have nearly the team speed that Sussex had. That team was FAST. And slippery as well. Not to say GW doesn't have Any speed, just nothing like Sussex had. Honaker was able to pass the ball pretty good against Sussex, which was a key factor for me in a Honaker win. They were able to run just enough to keep em off balence and get some really good play action fakes.

I think this will be an incredible game. I'm hoping it tops what I witnessed yesterday (that will be a tall task).

My early Sunday prediction is Honaker 31 George Wythe 27.

Split back veer, and shotgun spread. They ran most of the game out of the spread.

Not sure why they got away from the veer. It was working. Honaker would stop it a few times then they would bust a huge one. Although it did look like Honaker was figuring it out late in the 3rd. Could be a possibility as to why they got away from it.

Should play the game at Mitchell stadium

State is the Super Bowl for high school football. Making the trip to Salem, Lynchburg, or Charlottesville and playing in a nice stadium is part of the experience.

I watched George Wythe play Clintwood and I watched Honaker yesterday. If i was predicting a score at the moment I would say George Wythe by atleast 2 TD's. George Wythe has size and speed. Hardy Lester will be the best player on the field and shuts down one of side of the field when he is on defense. I wish both teams well and the best of luck.

emory wouldnt be a good spot cause the visitors side wouldn't have much room for seating, but mitchell stadium would be plenty on both, i think thats a good idea, would give both teams an oppertunity to get more fans there

State is the Super Bowl for high school football. Making the trip to Salem, Lynchburg, or Charlottesville and playing in a nice stadium is part of the experience.

Its all about money for business's in Salem and above. I say go back to rotating locations like it use to be home this year and away next year! Old school man.....

Im a fan of a central location. Better turnout for for teams AND football fans in general can go see the game(not many are gonna travel to the other side of the state to see a gme that their team isint in)

Other side of the state?! We're not talking about the Virginia Beach "Salem". Salem's just a tick over an hour from Wytheville. Salem's exactly 2.5 hours from Honaker. We should be so lucky. Imagine how teams from sparsely populated places like SEVA and the Northern Neck would feel if they had to make a 4+ hour trek to Salem.

Absent psychic powers, there's no way to predict with absolute certainty who will be in the title game until the games are played. That's one week notice. It's a logistical nightmare, and it's best that the VHSL have this planned ahead of time. If it's good enough for the Stagg Bowl, it's good enough for our little towns...

Just from watching Grundy play both late in the year...I thought Clintwood was miles ahead of Honaker...Grundy was able to put up 21 pretty easy points and hang with Honaker up until about 2 min left in the first half, then they self destructed and gave up a ton of points and Honaker got the ball to start the 2nd half and score...and that was all she wrote.

We couldn't do anything against Clintwood...I mean zip, nada, zilch.

So to me, if Clintwood can't do anything with GW, then I don't see how Honaker will be able to do so?

I'd love to see a close game with Honaker pulling it off and bringing State home to the BDD,..but, just don't see it. I think they have the offense to win, but I'm not sold on the defense being able to hold off GW.

Hope I'm wrong and good luck to the Tigers.

Other side of the state?! We're not talking about the Virginia Beach "Salem". Salem's just a tick over an hour from Wytheville. Salem's exactly 2.5 hours from Honaker. We should be so lucky. Imagine how teams from sparsely populated places like SEVA and the Northern Neck would feel if they had to make a 4+ hour trek to Salem.

Absent psychic powers, there's no way to predict with absolute certainty who will be in the title game until the games are played. That's one week notice. It's a logistical nightmare, and it's best that the VHSL have this planned ahead of time. If it's good enough for the Stagg Bowl, it's good enough for our little towns...

Your post is 100% accurate! As I have posted here before, the capacity of the Salem Stadium (7,200) is perfect for the smaller sized, D1 and D2, schools involved. Plus, the Roanoke Valley has tons of hotels that can easily accommodate the traveling schools and their fans.

;)

Just from watching Grundy play both late in the year...I thought Clintwood was miles ahead of Honaker...Grundy was able to put up 21 pretty easy points and hang with Honaker up until about 2 min left in the first half, then they self destructed and gave up a ton of points and Honaker got the ball to start the 2nd half and score...and that was all she wrote.

We couldn't do anything against Clintwood...I mean zip, nada, zilch.

So to me, if Clintwood can't do anything with GW, then I don't see how Honaker will be able to do so?

I'd love to see a close game with Honaker pulling it off and bringing State home to the BDD,..but, just don't see it. I think they have the offense to win, but I'm not sold on the defense being able to hold off GW.

Hope I'm wrong and good luck to the Tigers.

;)

no disrespect to tigers.. like to see them win ,but GW, is not haysi, john i burton,nor sussex, sussex is much smaller than GW, i do not look for another "shootout" GW HAS 3 backs to get it done, sussex had only one....hubbard better come up with A BIG D plan.....clintwood.. gave up some yards...."bent but didnt break", except for blown coverage........on pass play....wave had their chances, but for whatever reason .... did not.....

Other side of the state?! We're not talking about the Virginia Beach "Salem". Salem's just a tick over an hour from Wytheville. Salem's exactly 2.5 hours from Honaker.

Im saying if the site moved back and forth every year like it did back in the day. I love football and really would like to go watch the state games every year(regardless of whos playing). Now if it was the Easts turn to host and the game was being played at say Sussex, I wouldnt be there. I mean Bullitt Park hosted several State title games. How many fans from the eastern side of the state not from the school playing in the game made the trip over to watch those games? I would guess not many.

Im saying if the site moved back and forth every year like it did back in the day. I love football and really would like to go watch the state games every year(regardless of whos playing). Now if it was the Easts turn to host and the game was being played at say Sussex, I wouldnt be there. I mean Bullitt Park hosted several State title games. How many fans from the eastern side of the state not from the school playing in the game made the trip over to watch those games? I would guess not many.

That's why they try to centrally locate it based on the schools in each division. Not many Div. 5 and 6 teams out here, so Charlottesville is perfect. Div 3 and 4 are spread all across the state, so Liberty is a good choice, etc... It's meant to be central to keep one team from having an unfair advantage (home field) and to be fair to all teams. A rotating final isn't really fair in a year like this, imagine if the East hosted the game and GW-Honaker had to go out there.

That's why they try to centrally locate it based on the schools in each division. Not many Div. 5 and 6 teams out here, so Charlottesville is perfect. Div 3 and 4 are spread all across the state, so Liberty is a good choice, etc... It's meant to be central to keep one team from having an unfair advantage (home field) and to be fair to all teams. A rotating final isn't really fair in a year like this, imagine if the East hosted the game and GW-Honaker had to go out there.

The way D1 and D2 is set up now, the only way to guarantee yourself to keep travel at a minimum is to get the 1 seed. The 1 seed has become critical in that aspect.

I can drive to Salem and back 5 times in the amount of time it took to get to Franklin and back once lol.