blfd 75 graham 32

thegamer

Graham couldn't handle the press and just didn't shoot well. How many free throws did the G-Men miss tonight? It seemed like only Colby Hill was the only one that could make a free throw. Bluefield just looked to be on a whole other level than the G-Men tonight.

Congrats to the Beavers. They have a ton of talent and will be very hard for anyone to handle this year.

I don't think you can throw the blanket on all of Southern WV and Southwest Virginia. I think the gap exists between Bluefield and everybody else. The Beavers are very good, and should be for awhile.

Graham couldn't handle the press and just didn't shoot well. How many free throws did the G-Men miss tonight? It seemed like only Colby Hill was the only one that could make a free throw. Bluefield just looked to be on a whole other level than the G-Men tonight.

Congrats to the Beavers. They have a ton of talent and will be very hard for anyone to handle this year.

My thoughts exactly.... The Press did Graham in, big time. They couldn't hit a free throw to save their lives....they would've lost by 30 instead of 43(like it would've mattered), if free throws were made...

Graham was outmanned and outcoached last night.

Edited by futbolking

Graham's an average team this year..... for our little portion of VA.....

My opinion of Graham is higher than that, and my opinion of VA is much lower. VA basketball, Oak Hill aside, has been historically very weak, aside from a few individual superstars. And that's especially true this year.

It remains to be seen whose take is closer to form.

Just because one team from WV beats one team from VA means there is some huge gap? And if we're talking about VA as a whole I imagine it's not that weak. Am I missing something?

A username.

A clue as to just how bad basketball is in VA...

THIS. As I said before, outside Oak Hill, Virginia basketball is a colossal joke. Even in AAA. You put a Top 10 team in VA against a team like DeMatha, and DeMatha would roll them with a smile on their faces.

You might have one upset a decade. See: Norcom over Findlay. But that's it.

THIS. As I said before, outside Oak Hill, Virginia basketball is a colossal joke. Even in AAA. You put a Top 10 team in VA against a team like DeMatha, and DeMatha would roll them with a smile on their faces.

You might have one upset a decade. See: Norcom over Findlay. But that's it.

Problem with prep hoops is that it's hard to compare apples to apples. The top private schools (like DeMatha) are powerful on a national level. There aren't many public schools outside of the largest metropolitan areas who should even consider competing against schools of that type.

I took the gist of this thread to mean that the public schools in Southern West Virginia are far superior to those in Southwest Virginia. And I don't think there's any basis for debate there. The WV teams are definitely better.

Maybe there's room for discussion about the very best public schools drawn from the entire Commonwealth as opposed to those from the Mountain State.

Bottom line.... I'm going to confess that I'm terribly confused about what is meant by "Virginia basketball." Are we talking exclusively about public schools? And if the subject is private schools, are we excluding post-grad squads?

Mainly curious here. Clarifications of any kind will be appreciated.

My opinion of Graham is higher than that, and my opinion of VA is much lower. VA basketball, Oak Hill aside, has been historically very weak, aside from a few individual superstars. And that's especially true this year.

It remains to be seen whose take is closer to form.

I think you'll see Graham finishing with maybe a record slightly better than .500... I expect Floyd County to destroy them on the 27th, although I'd like to see them have a good showing. Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right, but after seeing them play a couple times, I believe them to be slow and unable to handle the press. Inside game is average at best. Upside is that they have some quality young players coming up.

I have the same opinion of VA basketball, however...not impressed overall.

Problem with prep hoops is that it's hard to compare apples to apples. The top private schools (like DeMatha) are powerful on a national level. There aren't many public schools outside of the largest metropolitan areas who should even consider competing against schools of that type.

I took the gist of this thread to mean that the public schools in Southern West Virginia are far superior to those in Southwest Virginia. And I don't think there's any basis for debate there. The WV teams are definitely better.

Maybe there's room for discussion about the very best public schools drawn from the entire Commonwealth as opposed to those from the Mountain State.

Bottom line.... I'm going to confess that I'm terribly confused about what is meant by "Virginia basketball." Are we talking exclusively about public schools? And if the subject is private schools, are we excluding post-grad squads?

Mainly curious here. Clarifications of any kind will be appreciated.

My comments were merely about the difference in the quality of Southern WV teams and those in Southwestern Virginia. There are and have been good teams/programs from the NRV and eastward through Virginia on the hardwood including Martinsville, Radford, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring, etc. However, high school basketball in Virginia does not exist westward past Blacksburg.

I think you'll see Graham finishing with maybe a record slightly better than .500... I expect Floyd County to destroy them on the 27th, although I'd like to see them have a good showing. Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right, but after seeing them play a couple times, I believe them to be slow and unable to handle the press. Inside game is average at best. Upside is that they have some quality young players coming up.

I have the same opinion of VA basketball, however...not impressed overall.

Graham actually isn't bad for a Single-A team. They are a pretty quick team with decent fundamentals and will go as Colby Hill and Tony Hood go. Bluefield will make just about any team "slow" and Graham won't see that kind of overall ball pressure by any team on their schedule (aside from Round 2 with Bluefield) for the rest of the season.

Absolute worst case, Graham loses 7 or 8 games. Outside of Bluefield and Floyd, they should be able to beat Bland and Grayson. They should win their district. They won't advance any further though, but in their defense, neither will any other team in SWVA.

My comments were merely about the difference in the quality of Southern WV teams and those in Southwestern Virginia. There are and have been good teams/programs from the NRV and eastward through Virginia on the hardwood including Martinsville, Radford, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring, etc. However, high school basketball in Virginia does not exist westward past Blacksburg.

This.

Not to mention that Southern WV has been always been King when it comes to basketball in the state of West Virginia.

Bluefield, Woodrow Wilson, Wyoming East (Mullens), Westside (Oceana), Tug Valley, Logan. That is basically West Virginia Basketball History right there.

Thanks, BR. And I agree with your assessment. Alas, Richlands is a good example for this argument. Back in the day (mid '80s), the Blues fielded some really good teams that just couldn't get over the hump beyond district play. And while I stand to be corrected, I don't think Richlands ever won a regional playoff game before the format was expanded to include the present number of teams.

My confusion (over which I claim full ownership) was the result of the introduction of DeMatha into the conversation.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

This.

Not to mention that Southern WV has been always been King when it comes to basketball in the state of West Virginia.

Bluefield, Woodrow Wilson, Wyoming East (Mullens), Westside (Oceana), Tug Valley, Logan. That is basically West Virginia Basketball History right there.

I still remember the incredible run by now-defunct Northfork. Even the "also ran" programs in Southern WV have produced a tremendous roster of athletes who have done well.