Guns in schools

battleftbl

So it seems that alot of places are getting on board with having teachers carrying guns in schools. As a teacher, I can think of of 1000 ways this could go bad....... but it may be the most budget friendly awnser to security problems. I'm really conflicted over it. What's everyones thoughts on the issue?

So it seems that alot of places are getting on board with having teachers carrying guns in schools. As a teacher, I can think of of 1000 ways this could go bad....... but it may be the most budget friendly awnser to security problems. I'm really conflicted over it. What's everyones thoughts on the issue?

I think it's absolutely absurd to have teachers, or principals carrying weapons on school grounds. Invest in some steel doors for security that can be locked from the inside... or invest in a couple of TRAINED armed guards in each school. Surely in school systems where safety should be first, we could find a way to fund schools to make them safer. It's a sad day when we have to start thinking about building schools like they are prisons....but it's the reality that we face now. They couldn't pay me enough money to be a teacher, a babysitter and an armed guard....as well. Teachers are there to teach, the students are there to learn. It's the States' and school systems responsibility to provide a safe environment for their students AND employees. Quit yelling CUT TAXES and find a way to put a little bit of money into the schools to help make them safer.

I think it's absolutely absurd to have teachers, or principals carrying weapons on school grounds. Invest in some steel doors for security that can be locked from the inside... or invest in a couple of TRAINED armed guards in each school. Surely in school systems where safety should be first, we could find a way to fund schools to make them safer. It's a sad day when we have to start thinking about building schools like they are prisons....but it's the reality that we face now. They couldn't pay me enough money to be a teacher, a babysitter and an armed guard....as well. Teachers are there to teach, the students are there to learn. It's the States' and school systems responsibility to provide a safe environment for their students AND employees. Quit yelling CUT TAXES and find a way to put a little bit of money into the schools to help make them safer.

I agree! I was in the 8th grade when the Columbine incident happened. Shortly afterwards we had security guards at our school. It was that way until I graduated from high school.

I agree! I was in the 8th grade when the Columbine incident happened. Shortly afterwards we had security guards at our school. It was that way until I graduated from high school.

And by steel doors at school, I mean steel doors for each classroom.... so, when you go on lock down, you can truly be locked down.... Not those flimsy doors that a 10 year old could kick in....

I was in a school in Richmond about a dozen or so years ago that went on lockdown.... the classroom doors were locked (steel doors) and chained shut with padlocks....nobody was getting into those classrooms.... I say the investment in safety would be worth it, if even 1 life is saved.

Safety glass also. Most classrooms are lined with windows so that would have to be fixed. But think about the money there. They would have to do that at every elementary, middle and high school.

Then add the guards in. With 2 guards at every school, a small district with just 2 elementary, 2 middle and 1 high school would be out 180,000 per year just in guard salaries. Add that to the renovations at each school and the school system would be far past bankrupt. I agree that this is the safer, sensable way to go....I just dont see how it can be done

As for guns, I'll use this scenerio-

We all know there are "bad apples" in every school. What happens when a teacher has to break up a fight and one of the kids gets the gun away from the teacher...... Then what? Any wrong turn would always result in the teacher being thrown under the bus.

Edited by battleftbl

Safety glass also. Most classrooms are lined with windows so that would have to be fixed. But think about the money there. They would have to do that at every elementary, middle and high school.

Then add the guards in. With 2 guards at every school, a small district with just 2 elementary, 2 middle and 1 high school would be out 180,000 per year just in guard salaries. Add that to the renovations at each school and the school system would be far past bankrupt. I agree that this is the safer, sensable way to go....I just dont see how it can be done

We all know there are "bad apples" in every school. What happens when a teacher has to break up a fight and one of the kids gets the gun away from the teacher...... Then what? Any wrong turn would always result in the teacher being thrown under the bus.

Knowing Governor McDonnell, he'll "borrow" the money from the VRS (teacher retirement fund)....and make the teachers pay back the loan.

We can't expect Teachers to do EVERYTHING!! They are there to TEACH!!

Hire professional armed guards if you want weapons in school, make the rooms break in proof when going on lock down...

Surely you can find the money somewhere in the budget....take it away from some nonsense crap in the budget that is not necessary...

I can't believe our "Governor" is even entertaining the thought of arming teachers and administrators.....

Find the money to make schools safe!!....just do it!! What's wrong with asking Corporate America to pitch in to help fund upgrades to school safety?? Is the almighty dollar more important then the safety of our children?? I'll gladly pay my share of taxes to make my children safer at school.

When I heard "Governor" McDonells' comments about entertaining the idea of arming administrators and teachers... I immediately thought of several scenarios, where that could be a bad....bad...thing.

I say hire armed guards....or use resource officers....at each school...

The state could find the money..Cut out some other useless garbage...Propose a new tax....Corporate America could chip in......

The most precious commodity this country has is it's children....

We should treat them like gold and keep them safe.

Safety should be the #1 priority for schools. Heck with all of the politics played with the schools these days....Protect our kids!! And treat our teachers with Respect, instead of acting like they are some kind of leach living off of the public's dime. Teaching is one of the hardest jobs there is.

So here is a topic I am totally ignorant on. I have heard people say that we need to bring back mental health institutions. I didn't know that they were gone in all seriousness. If that is the case, when did that stop?

I dont like the idea of every teacher being allowed to carry a firearm but I do like the idea of atleast 1 armed guard in the school and 3-4 school staff having access to firearms. These people should have the apporiate training and be sort of first responders. Not there to stop the attacker or attackers but contain them and limit what they do. Right now these monsters are basically going from room to room killing innocent people while school staff tries to talk them out of doing it.

Someone mentioned not allowing visitors past the school lobby, thats step 1 imo. whatever it takes to divide the lobby from the rest of the school is what we need to do.

Dickenson and Wise counties are in the process of building new schools and I truly hope they take the tradgety that occued last week into consideration with school design.

Teachers could train with law enforcement on the firing range and in weapons retention. Only selected teachers could carry (or all) concealed weapons. Also, thought about an across the board firearms tax that would go directly to a federal education security fund that would be used to help secure our schools.

Also, thought about an across the board firearms tax that would go directly to a federal education security fund that would be used to help secure our schools.

That would be fine if that was what they would spend it on, however, proceeds from such tax would likely go to other "pet" programs...

So here is a topic I am totally ignorant on. I have heard people say that we need to bring back mental health institutions. I didn't know that they were gone in all seriousness. If that is the case, when did that stop?

Being old gives me some memory of what has happened to mental health. In the late '80s-'90s there was a confluence of a couple of factors. Federal budget cuts led to the shrinking of inpatient programs in favor of community care. Many ended up on the streets with no support system. The other problem that comes out of community care is that is hard to monitor whether someone is taking the meds that they need.

That would be fine if that was what they would spend it on, however, proceeds from such tax would likely go to other "pet" programs...

Unfortunately, I believe this to be true.... I don't trust politicians.... But I know one thing is for sure, they had better come together on the issue of making schools safer. No more lives need to be lost by innocent men, women and children at the hands of a madman. This should be THE top priority of our political and School Leaders.

I'm tired of hearing about more rigorous standards. Kids can't learn in an environment that is not safe and conducive to learning, or in underfunded schools that have 30 to 40 kids in each class. Don't even talk about raising standards, until you do something to change the learning environment.

Unfortunately, I believe this to be true.... I don't trust politicians.... But I know one thing is for sure, they had better come together on the issue of making schools safer. No more lives need to be lost by innocent men, women and children at the hands of a madman. This should be THE top priority of our political and School Leaders.

I'm tired of hearing about more rigorous standards. Kids can't learn in an environment that is not safe and conducive to learning, or in underfunded schools that have 30 to 40 kids in each class. Don't even talk about raising standards, until you do something to change the learning environment.

Everyone has a personal agenda when it comes to money. Each locality needs to address the security of public building.

In Tazewell Co., I know that a ton of the Stimulus $$$$ were spent on school security. Locks and cameras at the main doors. RFID badges for personnel that are programmed to allow limited access to buildings. New locks on classroom doors so the door is automatically locked when it closes.

Someone mentioned not allowing visitors past the school lobby, thats step 1 imo. whatever it takes to divide the lobby from the rest of the school is what we need to do.

I know that at High Point Elementary, Valley Institute Elementary, and Wallace Middle (all feeders of John Battle), the doors remain locked and you have to buzz in. Someone in the office can see you on the security monitor and asks you what your business is. Those schools also have mostly shatter-proof glass in the doors and windows (not the best, but certainly harder to break through than regular glass). At Battle, you can walk in the front door, but there's always someone at a desk by the door where you have to sign in and you are told to go straight to the front office. They won't let you go anywhere else in the school (I used to be able to walk right in, not bother signing in, and go where I wanted because they all know me so well, but not anymore).

Of course, these aren't fool-proof. Just about any student and some teachers/employees will let you in just about any door (like the gym) if you knock, especially if they know you. There are times when many of the doors around the school aren't locked either.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it alarming that we must discuss such issues, but I don't think arming teachers will solve these tragedies. We as parents need to teach morality and the value of life to our children and grandchildren. It is not the school system's responsibility to teach these things, but ours. The following standards should be reinforced and instructed at home. We need to instill in our children that life is precious. We need to acknowledge and help those children we see with potential behavior issues. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away. We need to pray daily for our youth and their teachers.

Has no one ever noticed that the nuts who gun people down never do so in a place where people are armed?