Bluefield, WV At It Again

They are trying to ban Pit Bulls. Not pistols

I could've sworn they said "pistols", but then again, (1) I'm trying to get over ear infections and (2) Shauna Johnson was reading it at auctioneer pace.

But now that you mention it, why would they try to ban pit bulls? I don't recall any pit bull attacks, nor do I recall dogfighting being an "in thing" for the Bluefield, WV underground.

The animal control officer was bitten last week and now the breed gets to be part of a witch hunt. If there is already an ordinance about how to keep a Pit Bull that isn't being enforced, how is a ban going to be enforced? We have a Doberman that is the best dog I've ever been around. Its all how they are raised that determines what temperament they have.

Read:

http://bdtonline.com/local/x2045494821/City-plans-pit-bull-ban

March 13, 2013

City plans pit bull ban

Board of directors looks to draft ordinance to prohibit the dog breed in Bluefield

Greg Jordan Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD —

Bluefield’s Board of Directors authorized the city’s attorney Tuesday to start drafting an ordinance that would ban pit bulls from the city.

Bluefield currently has an ordinance regulating the ownership of pit bulls; however, too many owners are not complying with it, Mayor Linda Whalen said.

In a recent incident, Bluefield’s animal control officer, Randell Thompson, was seriously injured and hospitalized for several days after being bitten by a pit bull, according to information released by Chief D.M. Dillow Jr. of the Bluefield Police Department.

The proposed ordinance would allow current owners who are following the existing ordinance to keep their pit bulls, said City Attorney Brian Cochran. They would have 10 days after the ordinance is enacted to comply with the current law. After that time period ends, no more pit bulls would be allowed into the city.

“It’s especially a public safety issue. It’s something that we as a municipal government can do to help protect our kids and other citizens throughout the city, and that’s the whole point of it,” Cochran said. “There are probably some responsible owners of pit bulls out there, but there are a lot who aren’t very responsible. We have pretty stringent laws in the books, but they don’t seem to be working very well.”

The current ordinance requires the owners of pit bulls and wolf hybrids to keep them muzzled and on a secure leash when they are taken out of their homes. They must be kept indoors or in a securely locked, enclosed pen or kennel with a secured top attached to all of its sides, Cochran said. The dogs must also be registered with the Bluefield Police Department.

Local pit bull owners were allowed to start complying with the law in 2008 when the current ordinance was passed. It covers pit bulls as well as Staffordshire bull terriers and American pit bull terriers, Cochran said.

Owners of these breeds can now register their pets with the city police and begin complying with the current ordinance. City Manager Jim Ferguson said later that residents could read this ordinance at the Bluefield Municipal Building. People should ask to speak with the city clerk or the city’s code enforcement officer.

The West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals recently upheld a ban on pit bulls and pit bull breed dogs enacted by the city of Ceredo in 1996.

“Basically, they based it on safety, public health, and those type of police power issues that municipalities are authorized to pass ordinances for,” Cochran told the city board.

Ceredo did not have any prior pit bull ordinance when its ban was enacted. The city’s residents were given 10 days to register their pit bulls with the city, sign a release and liability waiver with the city.

“I think we’re in the position where the city, based on some recent events and some past events, should consider passing a similar ordinance,” Cochran said. “We do have ordinances on the books that require owners of pit bulls to register them with our police department.”

The city has the option to ban any pit bull that is not currently registered with the city police. To be more consistent with the ordinance that was upheld by the state Supreme Court, the city could give pet owners 10 days after a new ordinance was enacted to register their pit bulls. Pit bulls that are not compliant with the law could be seized by the municipal court.

Cochran said after Tuesday’s meeting that he might have a draft pit bull ban ordinance ready for the city board’s next meeting on March 26.

Animal Control Officer Randall Thompson was bitten March 6 when he answered a call about a pit bull that was running loose on Wayne Street, according to information released from an incomplete report Thompson is writing. After Thompson and the dog’s owner got the animal back into its yard, a second pit bull that was there broke its chain and bit Thompson on both arms. He was recently released from a local hospital. Both pit bulls were picked up and taken to the Mercer County Animal Shelter. What will be done with the dogs has not been determined.

Some owners of dogs related to the breed most people consider when they hear the term “pit bull” want to know whether their dogs would be included in a new ordinance, said Shannon Young, 27, of Bluefield. Her family owns a bully pit dog that is smaller than the other breed, which is considered a game dog bred for hunting.

“It (bully pit bull) is more of a show dog than what would be considered a normal pit bull,” Young said to the Bluefield Daily Telegraph after learning about the proposed ban on the newspaper’s website. “They’re show dogs.”

The game pit bull is larger than the bully pit breed, she said.

In the past, other breeds of dog have been labeled as vicious, she recalled. In the 1970s, doberman pinschers were considered especially dangerous.

“In the 80s, they hated great danes,” Young said. “They would talk about how vicious they are. It’s not the dogs; it’s the owners of the dogs. If you raise them to be aggressive monsters, any dog can be aggressive.”

Edited by bhs7695

The animal control officer was bitten last week and now the breed gets to be part of a witch hunt. If there is already an ordinance about how to keep a Pit Bull that isn't being enforced, how is a ban going to be enforced? We have a Doberman that is the best dog I've ever been around. Its all how they are raised that determines what temperament they have.

Actually, the animal control officer WAS trying to enforce current code when he was bitten.

As for witch hunt, pit bulls are a bad breed anyway...they have shown that over time. Do a little research on "pit bull attacks" then compare it to how many attacks by other breeds. Numbers don't lie.

I've seen lots of pit bulls up in town and in certain neighborhoods. With the way these worthless owners treat these dogs, its just a matter of time before someone gets killed by one.

I'm always leary of Pit Bulls, if the owner says they're harmless or not. I came home one day from work to find a pit bull on my front porch, didn't know who it belonged to. Had my 7 year old with me....Didn't want him near it... I didn't want to take a chance, went in the basement door and called animal control to come and remove the animal from my property. I didn't want to find out if he was a nice animal or not. Years ago I had a dog that must've been part pit bull or something, he had very big and strong jaw bones... He never hurt anybody, but he sure hurt some other dogs....killed a wild dog and ripped the ears off of a couple of others when they were acting agressive towards us (siblings, when I was a kid).

my family had a pit for months, & all of a sudden one day it tore my sister up. 30+ stitches & she had to go to doctor visits for 6+ months. The point is: YOU CAN'T TRUST THEM.

I work for the power company, so I have to enter a lot of yards... I have to fight dogs everyday. Pit Bulls are BY FAR the worst. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if there was a statewide ban on them.

Actually, the animal control officer WAS trying to enforce current code when he was bitten.

As for witch hunt, pit bulls are a bad breed anyway...they have shown that over time. Do a little research on "pit bull attacks" then compare it to how many attacks by other breeds. Numbers don't lie.

I've seen lots of pit bulls up in town and in certain neighborhoods. With the way these worthless owners treat these dogs, its just a matter of time before someone gets killed by one.

I don't believe in the opinion of "bad breeds." Dobermans have also been viewed as a bad breed for years along with German Shepards, Pit Bulls, and Rots. I've been around all of those at one time or another (partly owning a Dobie right now) and they were mostly great dogs to interact with. I stand my ground that it depends on how their environment is to how they turn out no matter the breed.

I know of a wolf hybrid that is more docile to be around than a Great Dane that he lives with and both are house dogs. The Dane is quicker to snap at me being in the house than the wolf hybrid is. I can only speak for my experiences and I've experienced being snapped at by Chihuahua and a small Poodle before.

I see plenty of muts running up and down Cumberland Road and I think the owners need to be strung up by their "buster browns."

Holding the owners accountable should be the first order; not banned the breed.

I know of a wolf hybrid that is more docile to be around than a Great Dane that he lives with and both are house dogs. The Dane is quicker to snap at me being in the house than the wolf hybrid is. I can only speak for my experiences and I've experienced being snapped at by Chihuahua and a small Poodle before.

If both of these dogs live in that same environment and were raised by the same owner, wouldn't that put a hole on your theory that the environment is what determines if the dog is good or bad?

To be honest, I think it is a little of both the environment and breed. Some breeds are definitely more prone to being "mean", but then again you can probably train any dog to me mean or nice.

I don't believe in the opinion of "bad breeds." Dobermans have also been viewed as a bad breed for years along with German Shepards, Pit Bulls, and Rots. I

Holding the owners accountable should be the first order; not banned the breed.

^^This.^^

I know dogs are animals, and bad things can happen, but NORMALLY where you find a bad dog you'll also find an irresponsible or even "bad" owner. I have owned Pit Bulls, Boxers, Dobermans and German Shepards as well as mixed breeds and have had absolutely no issues with any of them.

If both of these dogs live in that same environment and were raised by the same owner, wouldn't that put a hole on your theory that the environment is what determines if the dog is good or bad?

To be honest, I think it is a little of both the environment and breed. Some breeds are definitely more prone to being "mean", but then again you can probably train any dog to me mean or nice.

They weren't raised together. They were already full grown and brought in together while being raised by different owners elsewhere. The wolf hybrid I think was a rescue if I remember correctly. They both get along fine with each other. The Dane seems to be more leery of me than the wolf when I've been around them which has only been a couple of times.

They weren't raised together. They were already full grown and brought in together while being raised by different owners elsewhere. The wolf hybrid I think was a rescue if I remember correctly. They both get along fine with each other. The Dane seems to be more leery of me than the wolf when I've been around them which has only been a couple of times.

Gotcha.

• 1 month later...

Well, the ban passed 4-0, despite a relatively large outpouring AGAINST the ban.

Congratulations, Bluefield. You've just sentenced hundreds of dogs to death whose only crime was being born. Owners, who have spent thousands of dollars on their pets, and who have given years of loving dedication to their pets, now have had the rug ripped from under them with no compensation whatsoever. Shelters will now be crowded well over capacity. All because the Animal Control Officer, who has numerous complaints over his professional behavior, was bitten by one of them.

It's patently disgusting. The city government of Bluefield, West Virginia, has long teetered on the edge of being a complete failure, but this is the final straw. Nothing good comes out of that body, at least, nothing visible that suggests that it gives a damn. What good is putting up a bunch of gaudy state flags when your infrastructure is collapsing; when you're closing long-time employers like Flowers; and when your population has been cut in half in 50 years.

I do a fair bit of business in Bluefield, WV. My wife and I bank there. I bowl there. My wife's OB/GYN is there, and we have 23 weeks to go in her first pregnancy. After this, though, I may very well pull all my business from Bluefield, WV. Not because I'm dissatisfied with the services there. Not in the least. But because I don't want that pathetic excuse for a body politic to receive another dime that I earn. Not through food taxes. Not through business licensing. Not another thing.

And I mean that. When I take stands, I keep them. I always get 100% gas, because I'm hocked off that ethanol exists. I boycott certain restaurants based upon either unethical or negative business practices. And, again, I may do the same with Bluefield, WV. If more people did the same, particularly the residents, you'd see some change in how the city runs.

I don't think "voting them all out" would even work. The corruption and ignorance is too deep there.

It's a ban against new pit bulls. People who have registered their dogs with the city can still keep them, I think up to 3. Nobody will have to take their dogs to the shelter, unless they weren't complying with the ordinance already in place (for instance, if they had too many dogs to begin with).

Just for the record, I called the city to remove a pit bull from my property one time, that had gotten loose. The animal control officer never came to my house. The police finally came and removed it after 4 or 5 calls. If that dog had threatened myself, my wife or my children and had been aggressive towards any of us, there would be one less pit bull on this earth....just saying.

Edited by futbolking

It's a ban against new pit bulls. People who have registered their dogs with the city can still keep them, I think up to 3. Nobody will have to take their dogs to the shelter, unless they weren't complying with the ordinance already in place (for instance, if they had too many dogs to begin with).

That's the only thing Bluefield did correctly in this whole mess. Otherwise, it'd be ex post facto. But you know that people are going to miss the deadline, particularly when it's as short as 10 days.

But dogs have relatively short life spans, particularly a breed with the genetic defects that a pit bull has. In 10-12 years, none of those pit bulls will be alive. Then what? It's either not owning your dog of choice, or moving. Owners build breed loyalty. My grandfather owned Black Labs. My mother owns Papillons. Another person might take sympathy on the much-maligned Pit Bull.

It doesn't change anything for me.

Read the police blotter for Bluefield, WV in the BDT this morning...three calls on 4/21-22 regarding dog attacks (2) and dog in violation of city ordinance (1)...