2013 VA High Bearcats

50kw

Look pretty good I think. VHS will be running something similar to Richlands' offense with offensive coordinator Thad Wells. Most of the offense returns, weak spot will be the defense

I don't know about loaded but I see getting some revenge on recent year losses, especially a couple of rivals that are really close by,

if you know what I mean.

Edited by 50kw

"Similar to Richlands"

It's the new assistant coaches........

I was wondering what the plan was. Spread to run will work but you have to have some passing game. It sounded like at times last season they really struggled.

Look pretty good I think. VHS will be running something similar to Richlands' offense with offensive coordinator Thad Wells. Most of the offense returns, weak spot will be the defense

And yet in the scrimmage versus East, the defense excelled. Plus we have depth this year, over 60 kids out for football.

Per my uncle who was in attendance:

Jay, we looked good for a team that was in shells on Wed.We have a transfer from Honaker, 6'-1" 230. He's playing LB. They're going to use him some in the backfield too. OL averages around 240, athletic and quick. RB's looked good,lots of jet sweeps but also between the tackles.QB was throwing that ball everywhere.Defense was real fast,gang tackling.Only had 2-3 breakdowns all night.So fast they were overshooting in pursuit.East couldn't keep them out of the backfield.Pressure,shooting LBs, press coverage,looked good.East fans didn't know what had hit them.Lots of speed.

They also are a school with A LOT more kids than we have and play two levels above us in Tennessee. I'm not confusing them with Dobyns-Bennett, don't get me wrong, but they've been practicing a lot longer so far this year and for us to immediately be that much better, three days into pads, I'm pleased. Not saying we're gonna run the table, we probably won't, but I'm excited about the potential the team has.

Sullivan East doesn't have that much more than VHS. Enrollment in the upper 800s. Same size as Abingdon. East is a 2A school in TN but their football set up is different and they end up in 4A in football.

http://tssaa.org/Classifications/classification.cfm

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-adm-march-2012-six-classes.pdf

Edited by Beamerball

way to ruin my life with facts Beamerball! I thought East was significantly larger than that, in the 1500 range.

and to jump way off topic here. Bland and Rocky Gap play football together under a special provision from the VHSL, one of the requirements is that the combined enrollment be under 300 students. Their current enrollment is 303. There are ways around it(I think if the enrollment is over 300 all of the schools in their group have to agree to them playing together or something like that), anyone know if they have taken care of that?

Bland and Rocky Gap play football together under a special provision from the VHSL, one of the requirements is that the combined enrollment be under 300 students. Their current enrollment is 303. There are ways around it(I think if the enrollment is over 300 all of the schools in their group have to agree to them playing together or something like that), anyone know if they have taken care of that?

That's funny right there!!! My cousin married his long time friend/girlfriend last spring. She lived in Richmond but she moved her family to Rocky Gap this summer. She has three girls who will all be in high school at Rocky Gap...she put them over the limit! LOL

Sullivan East doesn't have that much more than VHS. Enrollment in the upper 800s. Same size as Abingdon. East is a 2A school in TN but their football set up is different and they end up in 4A in football.

http://tssaa.org/Classifications/classification.cfm

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-adm-march-2012-six-classes.pdf

Still over 200 more kids than we have. Again, not sayin' they're the '72 Dolphins, but it's a good showing for us considering how long they'd been in pads and practicing, versus how short of a time we'd been practicing and in pads.

Glad VAHigh had a good showing. jblank, youre right about East being a larger school and that making a HUGE difference. School size matters a lot, really good teams can overcome it but it does matter.

Thanks, nice post.

That's funny right there!!! My cousin married his long time friend/girlfriend last spring. She lived in Richmond but she moved her family to Rocky Gap this summer. She has three girls who will all be in high school at Rocky Gap...she put them over the limit! LOL

hahaha what have they done!

Ive been told by multiple people that weve got at least 50 so when my uncle gave me that number I didn't think it seemed out of line. Not questioning what you saw, just telling what I have been told.

From what I am hearing from one of my good friends who has a son playing at East, they will not have a very good team this year. So I would not put too much stock in a scrimmage with them. I do believe that VHS has an opportunity to have a pretty good team this year. The biggest thing needed at VHS is some stability. They have had 4 head coaches and run 4 different systems in 6 years. They need someone who they can hang their hat on and allow him to build a program. I have heard very positive things about the new head coach, so hopefully he will be able to start building a program that has some staying power. The numbers are up, and they are going to be fielding a JV team for the first time in 3 years, so hopefully things are looking up for some long term success.