Benefit Game: Richlands @ Honaker

Nadoball

Mance said after the game that he feels like the no huddle was hurting the offense in the first half. When we started huddling in the 2nd half things started looking better. I think we will be ok. Grey said his knee popped on that slide, but no pain and will have a MRI just to make sure tomorrow morning. 

I can definitely see how the no huddle hurt them, just felt rushed. Richlands is no Oregon Ducks offense, that is a fact.

Don't quite have the athletes and speed on the perimeter for the "Air Mance" system this year. GIve Mance credit for seeing that and adjusting.

This team will have to gel quick or we r looking at a long first 5 games. Didn't look like the typical blues team we have been used to for the last 10 years or so. A lot of work to be done. I agree not a lot of speed or the big play threat on the outside. On the other side I seen some bright things, defense played well and staten runs hard. If the guys work hard and come together we will be ok but until then it's going to be tough. Based just on the game last night don't see us getting through union,bluefield and maybe graham. I'm the biggest blues fan out there just stating what I seen.

This team will have to gel quick or we r looking at a long first 5 games. Didn't look like the typical blues team we have been used to for the last 10 years or so. A lot of work to be done. I agree not a lot of speed or the big play threat on the outside. On the other side I seen some bright things, defense played well and staten runs hard. If the guys work hard and come together we will be ok but until then it's going to be tough. Based just on the game last night don't see us getting through union,bluefield and maybe graham. I'm the biggest blues fan out there just stating what I seen.

Union is the test. I think we can get by Gate City and Graham.  Union is going to be a game though. I think if we slow down, huddle, and take our time to make sure we are crisp and on the same page we can beat Union. O line has to be a bit more consistent though. All of this will come with time.

You must run the football.  Mutiple receivers = dropped passes and interceptions.  This year the offense should be predicated off the running game, the fullback and the tailback.

Agreed. But you must have some semblance of a passing game. Staten is an amazing back. But if we allow the defenses to key on him the entire game, we won't score many points. There needs to be a bit of balance. Mance said after the game he wants to run the ball to open up some play action passing. We will see how it goes for Gate City. 

Agreed. But you must have some semblance of a passing game. Staten is an amazing back. But if we allow the defenses to key on him the entire game, we won't score many points. There needs to be a bit of balance. Mance said after the game he wants to run the ball to open up some play action passing. We will see how it goes for Gate City. 

The most effective passing game this year should be based on play action.  Defenses (DL and LB's) have trouble keying on any running back if they are on their backsides.  There is no substitute for physicality, our OL must be physical.  Richlands must consistently run the football on every drive.  Not every other.  In my opinion, Staten and Taylor should have no less than 45-50 carries (combined) every game.  Staten should get 30 carries per game.  Balance is nice, a good tail whipping is nicer.  

Well said both Ryan and old-school-blue. I completely agree you must pass the ball at least some and physical play is a must in football. Should be an exciting year to watch a different type of Blues football.Really excited about some of the younger Blues. Zeke, Kevin Alley, Danny Anderson, Landon Mance and River. I think they all have bright futures on the football field.

Good luck to all Southwest Va. Schools this year! I sure hope we all can put it on the Western end. Should be exciting testing out this new system. Good luck to all!!!!!!

One more note......I was impressed with Marion! I hope you guys have a great season Canes and Hurricane Warning

Well said both Ryan and old-school-blue. I completely agree you must pass the ball at least some and physical play is a must in football. Should be an exciting year to watch a different type of Blues football.Really excited about some of the younger Blues. Zeke, Kevin Alley, Danny Anderson, Landon Mance and River. I think they all have bright futures on the football field.

Good luck to all Southwest Va. Schools this year! I sure hope we all can put it on the Western end. Should be exciting testing out this new system. Good luck to all!!!!!!

One more note......I was impressed with Marion! I hope you guys have a great season Canes and Hurricane Warning

Zeke Vance is going to be a stud this year. And so is Alley. I expect huge things from those two guys.

This years team it is a lot like the Blues of a few years ago before the spread.  We don't have that big play threat that we've had the past few years.  But i do like the potentional of this team.  They have plenty of size and a hard running RB and a strong hard hitting FB.  I think the receivers are good enough to help keep drives going,  but our bread n butter will be a good running game and a good defense.  I like what I have seen out of the defense so far.  The D backs worry me a little,  but i think they will be fine.  The front 7 on D look really good especially at LB.  They hit hard and play hard and seem to swarm to the ball.  I just worry a bit if we run into a team that has some speed on the outside and can throw the ball deep

I liked the way River M. came into the game after Bakers injury and looked very poised !  I also like that Freshman RB.........I beleive his name is Elswick........he looked very good as did the Freshman QB.  

It looks like the future COULD be very brite.  I say could be,  because you just never know what could happen 2 or 3 years down the road.

I don't see this version of the blues blowing out many teams.  I think they will be in a lot of close grind it out type of games,  but I think they will win their share.

We still have one of,  if not the best head coach in SWVA and a good staff and I think they have the potentional to have another good year,  we'll just have to see how they come together. I believe I heard coach Mance say during pre game on the radio ( I always take a radio to the game )   we had to replace 7 starters on O and  and I can't remember if it was 6 or 7 on D,  plus like all teams,  injuries will play a big part.  We are not as deep as we have been in the past.

Good luck to the Blues this week !  

Also,  good luck to all the other teams and their fans this week !  I hope all the teams and the fans that have to travel this week have a safe trip to and from the game !

I think we can get by Gate City and Graham.

I'm not sure I agree with you.  Earlier I had posted that I thought Richlands losing more than 3 games in the regular season was a reach....I'm not so sure now.

Thanks man hopefully we will see each other in November but hopefully this time its at Marion lol Good Luck to u guys I have always enjoyed talking to u and Ryan

Richlands nor Honaker looked good last week. Considering Richlands won 30-2, we looked alittle better but not near as good as I thought we would. If the Blues can come together and  get on the same page they will be ok, just alot of new faces and the lack of athletic ability at WR we are so used to seeing.

That would be great Canes! Appreciate the kind words. I agree Nadoball that we are not as good as in the past several years at WR but Benny does have a great set of hands. Maybe after a few games under his belt he can gain some confidence and toughness and come through for us. He is very gifted athletically . I really think Zeke will come through in the slot. He has all the abilities to be a great football player.

Should be fun watching Mance try and make this years version of the Blues a contender but for sure a ton of work to do!