Syria

Canes00

well it looks like we will take military action against Assad and Syria for its chemical weapon use. Do you guys agree with getting involved or to stay the heck out of there?

I wish we were done with all this Middle East crap, but then again, if there's a threat to our safety, then we have to deal with it and not just wait until we're attacked like 9/11. I think the whole Syria thing is a lose-lose situation for us. It doesn't matter if we get involved or not, everyone will find something to bash us about (for example: "why would the US invade Iraq, but not Syria?" or "Why would we start yet another war to kill our troops and drain our economy?"). I just hope that if we do get involved militarily, that it's more of a UN thing and that other nations (like France and Britain) will take more of the lead and give us a break.

The conundrum with invading countries for crimes against humanity is that if you do it for one, you are virtually morally obligated to do it for every nation.  I don't disagree with the presumption that the United States should stay out of these matters entirely, but it is something to consider before you make an action.

I wish we were done with all this Middle East crap, but then again, if there's a threat to our safety, then we have to deal with it and not just wait until we're attacked like 9/11. I think the whole Syria thing is a lose-lose situation for us. It doesn't matter if we get involved or not, everyone will find something to bash us about (for example: "why would the US invade Iraq, but not Syria?" or "Why would we start yet another war to kill our troops and drain our economy?"). I just hope that if we do get involved militarily, that it's more of a UN thing and that other nations (like France and Britain) will take more of the lead and give us a break.

Syria's not a threat to U.S. safety as was Afghanistan (and to a misguided extent, Iraq), so long as the Syrian state doesn't condone these sorts of attacks on Americans or American interests.  This is mainly Syrian-on-Syrian violence here.  Plus, Russia would throw up as many roadblocks as necessary in the U.N. Security Council: it has a permanent seat there, and Syria and Russia are allies.

if we get involved alone its a bad move imo, if we get involved with other nations is a good move imo.   I really wish we would stay out of these international issues but we have set ourselves up to protect the innocent and police the world and as such are bound to help those in need.  Were not the country we were and the world isint the world it was. We cant do these things alone anymore

I'm sick of being the police force of the world...bring everyone we have spread all over the globe home, let these idiots fight it out amongst themselves and bring down holy hell on anyone who messes with our homeland.

This country has gone straight to hell over the past 20 years...they need to fix the mess we have at home, stop letting china and everyone else do business here for free, stop wasting OUR money, and stop trying to run the entire world.

The USA needs to get back to the  "carrying a big stick" policy and not be afraid to use it...that does NOT mean going to the middle east to try to run the show...let them do whatever they want with each other and stay out of it until it directly effects us here at home...might be some tough times to get there, but in the end things would be much better I think...and we have no business occupying any other nation for any reason unless they have given us a legit reason to do so...such as an attack on our homeland. 

I'm just sick of it all...we have no business in Syria...period....that is just another money pit.

Since Syria does have good military capabilities, even depleted by two years of civil war, I expect any action will be limited and unmanned. The Truman battle group is in the Med. so Cruise launches from a frigate are an option. I would also bet that sub based Cruise are also an option. This will be a carefully targeted response.

Whether I agree with the action, this fact remains: the world can't sit idly by and let chemical weapons be used.

Whether I agree with the action, this fact remains: the world can't sit idly by and let chemical weapons be used.

well why can't the rest of the world deal with it for a change? 

well why can't the rest of the world deal with it for a change? 

Even thought the rest of the world hates us getting involved all the time, they really want us to do most (if not all) of the work so they don't have to. I'm sure if we just sat back and told everyone else to handle things from now on, they'd probably crap themselves.

Even thought the rest of the world hates us getting involved all the time, they really want us to do most (if not all) of the work so they don't have to. I'm sure if we just sat back and told everyone else to handle things from now on, they'd probably crap themselves.

we need to let the rest of the world burn and deal with whoever crawls out of the ashes.

we need to let the rest of the world burn and deal with whoever crawls out of the ashes.

Don't know if I'd quote it quite like that, but I agree that we need to stop taking charge in world affairs like this and worry more about ourselves. Others need to step up to the plate and give us a break.

Don't know if I'd quote it quite like that, but I agree that we need to stop taking charge in world affairs like this and worry more about ourselves. Others need to step up to the plate and give us a break.

I'm sick of it, and i'm not alone...just saw a poll, yeah i know there are a zillion polls, but latest numbers on public opinion in the USA of the USA going to war with Syria is 91% against it...9% approval...can't imagine this going over well with many at home.

Now, seems the intel they are basing all of this on came from Israel...I don't know what the exact deal is here, but I don't like it...something is not right with this whole story. 

Russians have previously threatened to attack Saudi Arabia if the USA steps in to Syria. 

Everyone likes to think things are well in balance, but stuff could get sideways fast. Don't under estimate the Russians and what they will do under Putin.

I'm sick of being the police force of the world...bring everyone we have spread all over the globe home, let these idiots fight it out amongst themselves and bring down holy hell on anyone who messes with our homeland.

This country has gone straight to hell over the past 20 years...they need to fix the mess we have at home, stop letting china and everyone else do business here for free, stop wasting OUR money, and stop trying to run the entire world.

The USA needs to get back to the  "carrying a big stick" policy and not be afraid to use it...that does NOT mean going to the middle east to try to run the show...let them do whatever they want with each other and stay out of it until it directly effects us here at home...might be some tough times to get there, but in the end things would be much better I think...and we have no business occupying any other nation for any reason unless they have given us a legit reason to do so...such as an attack on our homeland. 

I'm just sick of it all...we have no business in Syria...period....that is just another money pit.

Amen!

This could turn into a real mess. If Russia Attacks Saudi Arabia then we are bound to defend them. Russia is not a country we want to mess with.

A lot of this depends on if we go it alone or with the support and backing of other countries. Russia wont cross the UN

This could turn into a real mess. If Russia Attacks Saudi Arabia then we are bound to defend them. Russia is not a country we want to mess with.

A lot of this depends on if we go it alone or with the support and backing of other countries. Russia wont cross the UN

I've been trying to watch the news and get some info on this whole situation (though it's really hard because 3/4 of the time I tune in, it's not about Syria, but about some really random stuff that's not nearly as serious) and it seems like Britain is trying to do a lot. Don't know if they've sent military out like we have, but they've been discussing it in Parliament and with the UN. This won't be a US only venture, but you can be sure that we'll provide the most for the mission. Even if this was a US only mission, I don't think Russia would attack Saudi Arabia because it would bring the UN down on them anyway.

The UN is a paper giant...nothing more...any "force" the UN has comes from the USA and the UK...other than that no one else really gives a crap. 

I would love to see the UN dissolved. 

Agreed about the UN Lance.  We have tough situation in Syria. We've been the world protector/defender of human rights for so long.  What could be scariest though, is what happens if Assad is overthrown/taken out?  I wouldnt trust him around the corner of a house, but what happens to the chemical weapons under new power. Scary situation all the way around.

So from what I understand, the UN can't really do anything anyway because Russia is vetoing everything (and are basically threatening us if we do anything), Britain won't help us out, France MAY be our only help, Obama is making the decision himself and not getting approval from Congress, and the president apparently doesn't have a real plan or end game for all this (supposed to reveal details sometime soon, but it won't be enough to get the majority of Americans on board IMO). Even though we're the defenders of human rights around the world (and chemical weapon use on civilians is a breach of human rights) I don't think we should do anything. It'll basically just be us wasting our money, resources, and possibly lives to go through with this and piss the world off even more.

So from what I understand, the UN can't really do anything anyway because Russia is vetoing everything (and are basically threatening us if we do anything), Britain won't help us out, France MAY be our only help, Obama is making the decision himself and not getting approval from Congress, and the president apparently doesn't have a real plan or end game for all this (supposed to reveal details sometime soon, but it won't be enough to get the majority of Americans on board IMO). Even though we're the defenders of human rights around the world (and chemical weapon use on civilians is a breach of human rights) I don't think we should do anything. It'll basically just be us wasting our money, resources, and possibly lives to go through with this and piss the world off even more.

If France is your only friend in a war, you are in big trouble.

The USA has become a hypocrite in the eyes of the rest of the world. Gitmo and what we did in Iraq has cost us our high ground on human rights over the long haul. That's the straight up truth, but a lot don't want to admit it.

If France is your only friend in a war, you are in big trouble.

The USA has become a hypocrite in the eyes of the rest of the world. Gitmo and what we did in Iraq has cost us our high ground on human rights over the long haul. That's the straight up truth, but a lot don't want to admit it.

John Kerry revealed the intelligence report on the details the government made public and he seems to be pressing hard on going through with this. It seems like it won't matter what the people think, the government has made up its mind on what it wants to do...and that is to attack Syria in some fashion. All I can say is this is going to suck.

John Kerry revealed the intelligence report on the details the government made public and he seems to be pressing hard on going through with this. It seems like it won't matter what the people think, the government has made up its mind on what it wants to do...and that is to attack Syria in some fashion. All I can say is this is going to suck.

This all (publicly) started with W's "Axis of Evil" speech...they've been methodically screwing around with every one of those countries ever since. The amount of time it takes to ramp up a legit military operation and get the logistics all worked out to attack another country takes years of planning to pull off...in a pinch at the very least months. The Iraq invasion was in the planning for years, they just took the open door 9/11 gave them to execute it. I'd imagine the same is true with Syria and North Korea as well...they see a window of opportunity to forward the agenda and jump on it. 

Israel is the one who provided all the intel on this, Israel has been wanting to attack Iran for years now, Syria and Iran would both be involved in any conflict and Syria has an air force that could well strike in Israel if it happens. By having the USA take out Syria, it would render that useless. That's what this is all about.

The USA is convinced Russia will not go to war, I think they are sadly mistaken and are underestimating Putin...he is a smart man, but has a bit of a "loose cannon" side to him. 

If Obama goes after Syria without any support, the Russians will for sure jump in...then we have to "HOPE" that the UK will join us at that point....if not, it's going to get really ugly...really fast.