Syria

Canes00

If Syria strikes Israel.... Syria is done they will be demolished that wouldn't be the smartest thing for Syria to do

They would if Israel attacked Iran...no doubt about it.

i know where your'e coming  from lance, USA  has stuck its nose into other  foriegn affairs, due to their INTERESTS,  what about our own INTERESTS, back here in the USA... I JUST HATE IT FOR THE INNOCENT children and others who have to pay a needless price..............

i know where your'e coming  from lance, USA  has stuck its nose into other  foriegn affairs, due to their INTERESTS,  what about our own INTERESTS, back here in the USA... I JUST HATE IT FOR THE INNOCENT children and others who have to pay a needless price..............

I hate it to, but it's not our job to protect the world, we have enough to take care of at home.

Obama has an easy out on this one, no one seems to be talking about it...all he has to do is take this to congress...let them shoot it down and he saves face for the most part. 

At this point, what are we really going to accomplish? We have broadcast to the Syrians we are going to shoot cruise missiles at the know chemical weapon sites...so what do you think they have done by now? Moved them to civilian safe places like hospitals and schools where they know we can't shoot in to.  

Any thing we do right now is just stupid and a waste of money...it will have zero effectiveness and will just piss off the Russians and make us look even worse on the world front....it's just not a smart move...nothing about it is smart at this point. If they wanted to act, they should have done so a week ago and not said anything to anyone before hand.

i believe thats gonna happen, saw on the news pres. is going to try to get approval from congress,,,,,

bingo...i told you.

Now congress will shoot this like a duck and Obama will act all outraged at the Republicans and we'll get back to the semi-normal SNAFU in Washington.

This isn't over by a long shot though.

How does this effect the situation?  

Title  -  Arab states urge action against Syrian government

http://news.yahoo.com/arab-states-urge-international-action-against-syrian-government-204455757.html

difference between arabs and muslims...really has no bearing on what the US does...if they want to take action themselves, have at it! Oh...that's right, they can't.

difference between arabs and muslims...

Good point. 

Although I think this changes any action taken from "the US being overbearing and going where it doesent belong" but it could just change it to "the US and their Western loving stooges being overbearing and going where they don't belong" . If International action is taken the US needs to and should be there but marching in head first, alone is a very bad idea.

Good point. 

Although I think this changes any action taken from "the US being overbearing and going where it doesent belong" but it could just change it to "the US and their Western loving stooges being overbearing and going where they don't belong" . If International action is taken the US needs to and should be there but marching in head first, alone is a very bad idea.

The Arabs are the oil people, they would like nothing more than to have the Syrian gov wiped off the planet. That's a pimple on the ass of the middle east as far as they have been concerned for years. 

I'm sick of being the police force of the world...bring everyone we have spread all over the globe home, let these idiots fight it out amongst themselves and bring down holy hell on anyone who messes with our homeland.

This country has gone straight to hell over the past 20 years...they need to fix the mess we have at home, stop letting china and everyone else do business here for free, stop wasting OUR money, and stop trying to run the entire world.

The USA needs to get back to the  "carrying a big stick" policy and not be afraid to use it...that does NOT mean going to the middle east to try to run the show...let them do whatever they want with each other and stay out of it until it directly effects us here at home...might be some tough times to get there, but in the end things would be much better I think...and we have no business occupying any other nation for any reason unless they have given us a legit reason to do so...such as an attack on our homeland. 

I'm just sick of it all...we have no business in Syria...period....that is just another money pit.

Heck, you're sick of it.  I've been in the Air Force for 23 years come February.  My whole career has been focused around Iraq (since '91) and with Afghanistan (since 9/11/01).  I've had multiple deployments and now it looks like it's time to deal with Sryia.  I'm thinking it's about time to retire and focus on the golf course.  I love my comrades in arms, but this is getting old.

23 years, that's impressive. Thanks for your service 87Tiger.

Saw on the news yesterday that the Senate (or a Senate committee I guess) voted 10-7 in favor of military action and put a 90 day limit on ground troops, or something like that (not sure if they mean we can't send ground troops for 90 days or if we send them, it can only be for 90 days...but what happened to the President saying we absolutely would not send ground troops?). I guess it's inevitable that we're going to do something militarily, just don't know exactly when and how yet. And France may be our only ally in this (which doesn't mean much). Also saw some news that said Russia may actually help support us if we prove to them that the Assad regime used chemical weapons on civilians. I don't know exactly how we'd prove this, but something tells me that if we did give Russia proof, they'd just ignore it or say they don't believe it. All I can say is, everybody buckle up because it's going to be a bumpy ride!

The UN has shown its contempt for the US many times recently.  They want us to do all the dirty work while they sit on the sidelines complaining about our way of life!  The US does not have to be the world's police...and should not be.  Time for other countries to man up and take care of their own.  Syria is not a threat to us militarily, but if we get involved in yet another Middle Eastern country it just opens the door for militant groups to jump onto the bandwagon of anti-Americanism.

If we get involved (and I hope we do not), forget this "limited stuff" and hammer the crap out of them!  Leave no doubt about consequences of certain actions and there will be less despots around the world willing to go there...

Speak softly but carry a BIG stick.

The UN has shown its contempt for the US many times recently.  They want us to do all the dirty work while they sit on the sidelines complaining about our way of life!  The US does not have to be the world's police...and should not be.  Time for other countries to man up and take care of their own.  Syria is not a threat to us militarily, but if we get involved in yet another Middle Eastern country it just opens the door for militant groups to jump onto the bandwagon of anti-Americanism.

If we get involved (and I hope we do not), forget this "limited stuff" and hammer the crap out of them!  Leave no doubt about consequences of certain actions and there will be less despots around the world willing to go there...

Speak softly but carry a BIG stick.

The UN couldn't do anything if it wanted to because of the veto powers of the permanent security members. They can't get involved because Russia, one of those permanent members, keeps using it's veto power to stop UN military action. It's ridiculous. One thing I'm worried about is that if we do this, Syria might declare war on us and gather some allies to strengthen their military...allies like maybe Russia, some other Middle Eastern nation, or one or more of the many terrorist groups out there. This thing has the potential to blow up big and we're putting ourselves in the position of starting it all (even if our intentions are good, we'll be blamed for all the bad).

We need to stay out of Syria and keep our noses out of the Near East. It is not the job of the US to spread our form of democracy throughout the world. A great many countries would only use US style democracy to impose a theocracy. If you were a Christian in Syria you would be better off under Assad. A Christian in Egypt was better off under Mubarack rather than Morsi- yet Morsi was democratically elected. Americans have simplistic view of the Muslim world and of Near Eastern affairs in general.We do not realize that one man's democracy is another man's tyranny. When you oust these rulers you are taking sides in a civil and often a religious war. Anything we do is looked at with suspicion in the Muslim world- whether Shia or Sunni- there is nothing we can do to make it better. No action of ours is going to make these people love one another or quit killig each other. We are going to keep having trouble with Muslims as long as the Arab-Israeli dispute is at its current level.

I think were(the US) in a bad position, on one had we cant just sit by and let these sort of things happen but at the same time we have to understand(and some do) that there is no "winning" in the Middle East. As swvacsas2 alluded to the issues over there are DEEP and go back over a thousand years. It cant be "fixed".  And youre right, we cant "spread" democracy, democracy is something a country has to arrive at, something they have to grow into. If the country isint ready for it, it wont work. That's why these dictatorships are so common in that region, the people as a whole aren't truly ready to govern themselves.

I agree with you Bearcat Bob, if we go in then we should go in hard. If ground troops go in(and I hope not) then it needs to be full force. That's one of the many mistakes we made in Iraq and Afghanistan, we went in easy. 

we have no business in Syria...we have very little business in the middle east overall...they hate us, always will...not because we are free and because we have a different lifestyle than they do...but because we are over there and involved in whatever is going on....all the time...we need to stop wasting money all over the world and worry about the USA. If you think back to WW2 we didn't get involved for a LONG time...not until Japan attacked us. In hindsight that could have even been prevented had people done their jobs. 

I do find it funny now that the world hates Obama...they were all so happy when he was elected, so much global "hope" for the USA to change course from the Bush era...didn't exactly work out like everyone had hoped it would.

The direction our country is headed in now, we are in for some dark days ahead. If Obama and the rest of the idiots in DC push this and actually attack Syria, and that is exactly what they would be doing, then we are screwed...if you don't think Russia knows 91% of the USA doesn't support action against Syria, and think Putin won't use that against us? Prime chance like no other in history, including the Vietnam War, to divide the USA between the people and the morons that represent us in DC. That won't end well for us.

Our looney tune leaders keep stirring the pot for political sake, looking to gain a vote somewhere without ever considering the will of the people.  I am not an isolationist but I believe this...all these countries have a right to choose their own style of government and way of life.  It is not our role to dictate what those choices may be.  When did the U.S. become the world's nanny?

No wonder those countries hate us.  How would we feel if other countries openly and aggressively tried to shape our politics?

I can see a scenario in which history looks back at this Syria situation and points to it as the beginning of a great war.  And btw...all you bone heads who voted for our current leadership, hope you are happy with putting a jayvee player at the head of our country. 

We need to stay out of Syria and keep our noses out of the Near East. It is not the job of the US to spread our form of democracy throughout the world. A great many countries would only use US style democracy to impose a theocracy. If you were a Christian in Syria you would be better off under Assad. A Christian in Egypt was better off under Mubarack rather than Morsi- yet Morsi was democratically elected. Americans have simplistic view of the Muslim world and of Near Eastern affairs in general.We do not realize that one man's democracy is another man's tyranny. When you oust these rulers you are taking sides in a civil and often a religious war. Anything we do is looked at with suspicion in the Muslim world- whether Shia or Sunni- there is nothing we can do to make it better. No action of ours is going to make these people love one another or quit killig each other. We are going to keep having trouble with Muslims as long as the Arab-Israeli dispute is at its current level.

That's 10 pounds of truth in a 5-pound sack there. 

It's partly one of the reasons that the Arab Spring, which many leftists were applauding as it was happening, was destined to fail and fail miserably.  Reasonable people, myself included, knew it would fail like this.  But nope.  Good monarchy > bad democracy.

Syria has agreed to turn there chemical weapons over to international control russia apparently got this deal done but I am skeptical about it something dont seem right

Russia and Iran provided them in the first place, so I'm sure Putin just said "hey do what we say and we'll give you more later"...Russia doesn't want a conflict, they want to maintain control of Syria and Iran...that's their biggest stronghold in the middle east.

This way they keep control, avoid conflict that could result in them not keeping control, and look like the good guys while making Obama look like more of an idiot and making everyone else in the world think the USA is just sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong...it's a win-win-win-win situation for Russia.